Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pittsburgh/Giants observation

I know it's just preseason but Pittsburgh looked horrible last night. The O-line looked pathetic against the Giant front seven who were missing Tuck & JPP. If the Steelers do not get that rectified it could be a long season for Big Ben. He will not last the year. At this time it looks like the Bengals/Ravens will be fighting for the North. I will never count Pittsburgh out, but they looked bad last night.

Blog Entries

Re: Pittsburgh/Giants observation

it doesn't look good, but remember, our D looked TERRIBLE in preseason last year. Got torched by Julio Jones and Megatron to start the preseason. Our D wasn't great last year, but we never really got owned like that in regular season.

I'm betting the OL coach will be taking them to task ALL day tomorrow. The second half bloopers were funny, but they were also the 3rd and 4th stringers.

One guy to be careful of is LaRod Stephens-Howling. That guy is a quick, shifty runner. It's a good thing we go up against Rice in practice, because otherwise I could see that guy just presenting Pees with nightmares. We have a fast D, but you need to have REALLY strict discipline to keep him from breaking one.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Here's hoping you are right. Like you said it's one preseason game, but by all credible accounts your assessment seems correct. Many posters have been pointing to the fact that the Steelers have been crumbling the last couple of years and it seems to be continuing. Bens body has begun the breakdown process that was inevitable given his style of play, and their o-line has been in shambles for years. Couple that with the fact that their defense has gotten very old, and they haven't replaced many of the top performers on D with comparable talent and you get what we are seeing now, hopefully a team that needs a complete rebuild. I personally think that the Browns are going to give them a run for 3rd place in the division. I don't see them threatening the Ravens for the top spot for a few years.

On the contrary. Some facts I don't think you know:

The Steelers are running a new blocking scheme focusing more on the run. They ran for almost 100 yards in the first half, by multiple RB's with the designated starter being out. The Oline in it's current state has only played together briefly; DeCastro is still basically a rookie after his injury. They made a couple of nice passes, and I think Ben got sacked once or twice. I regard that as success. When Bell gets some reps, I am confident the running game will once again be a threat, allowing Roethlisberger some time which has been a major problem in the past.

Funny how fans understand that preseason does not matter, but when the oppositions does not win a preseason game they tout that. And when their team wins they are playoff contenders. Of if their particular team loses, it is "no big deal, it is just preseason." I am not accusing you of that; but to me that is how your post comes across. The Browns beat St. Louis, I predict them to be in the playoff running as a result. They scored 27 points!

I won't be surprised if the Steelers, Ravens, or Bengals get the division. Believe me, after the Steelers won their SB's I did not automatically place us first in the division the year after by proxy. Stats just don't bear that out.

And, the Giants are not bottom feeders. They are will more than likely be playoff contenders. A close game in the opening of preseason against a quality opponent is a positive. The WR's made some fantastic catches. In fact, some of the best I have seen across all of the games so far. And that was with backup QB's.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    I know it's just preseason but Pittsburgh looked horrible last night. The O-line looked pathetic against the Giant front seven who were missing Tuck & JPP. If the Steelers do not get that rectified it could be a long season for Big Ben. He will not last the year. At this time it looks like the Bengals/Ravens will be fighting for the North. I will never count Pittsburgh out, but they looked bad last night.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    it doesn't look good, but remember, our D looked TERRIBLE in preseason last year. Got torched by Julio Jones and Megatron to start the preseason. Our D wasn't great last year, but we never really got owned like that in regular season.
    Well, those games against Houston and Denver in the regular season the D got spanked pretty bad. I hear what you are saying though, it's just the first preseason game, but you want to look a whole lot better than they did last night. That coaching staff has it's work cut out.

Blog Entries

Everything that you just said could be said about the Ravens first team offense based on what we saw Thursday. The offensive line was bad, receivers dropped passes, Flacco threw an awful interception, etc. There are no judgments to be made after one preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    On the contrary. Some facts I don't think you know:

The Steelers are running a new blocking scheme focusing more on the run. They ran for almost 100 yards in the first half, by multiple RB's with the designated starter being out. The Oline in it's current state has only played together briefly; DeCastro is still basically a rookie after his injury. They made a couple of nice passes, and I think Ben got sacked once or twice. I regard that as success. When Bell gets some reps, I am confident the running game will once again be a threat, allowing Roethlisberger some time which has been a major problem in the past.

Funny how fans understand that preseason does not matter, but when the oppositions does not win a preseason game they tout that. And when their team wins they are playoff contenders. Of if their particular team loses, it is "no big deal, it is just preseason." I am not accusing you of that; but to me that is how your post comes across. The Browns beat St. Louis, I predict them to be in the playoff running as a result. They scored 27 points!

I won't be surprised if the Steelers, Ravens, or Bengals get the division. Believe me, after the Steelers won their SB's I did not automatically place us first in the division the year after by proxy. Stats just don't bear that out.

And, the Giants are not bottom feeders. They are will more than likely be playoff contenders. A close game in the opening of preseason against a quality opponent is a positive. The WR's made some fantastic catches. In fact, some of the best I have seen across all of the games so far. And that was with backup QB's.
    It has nothing to do with winning or losing I look at particular teams (offensive, defensive, special teams, receivers etc...) and watch how they perform. Even if you won 40-0 or lost 40-0 if your offensive line played well I will acknowledge that. Most of the runs were the backs breaking tackles not that your line was making gaping holes for them. You are correct it is preseason, but I'm sure the Steeler's coaching staff was not happy on how they performed especially 1st string against 1st string. Let's put it this way if by the end of the third preseason game they are still having problems with the o-line you would have to admit it would be a major concern considering how Ben has become injury prone as of late due to his holding the ball to long.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Everything that you just said could be said about the Ravens first team offense based on what we saw Thursday. The offensive line was bad, receivers dropped passes, Flacco threw an awful interception, etc. There are no judgments to be made after one preseason game.
    That is true but it seems a lot of people on this forum are throwing the young receivers under the bus based on one preseason game.

Blog Entries

Markus Wheaton looked good; not surprised by that though.

Their OL still has issues in pass-pro.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

You can look at at this way too; the Dlineman were engaged, and could only make contact with the RB's while being engaged. I would call most of what happened as "yards after contact" and not actually a result of "breaking tackles." Regardless, they got a lot of yards on the ground by a committee of running backs. When they designate their starter, and he gets some reps, I would expect better results. But of course, the opposition will be improving too.

I don't see how the line played horribly anyway. Where could they improve? Some missed blocking assignments - Sure. They played collectively in measure with the rest of the league. A close game with the Giants, any time of the year, is a positive reflection no matter what time of year.

And yes, Ben R. has been sacked a million times. But it seems at least initially, the abysmal run game of the past will allow the Steelers some relief from having to count on Ben R. and a few receivers to win every game. And of course if any component of a team does not perform at an improved level by the last preseason game that would raise concern with any team.

I still don't see any glaring problems. Most of what I saw was expected. The first teams for the Giants and the Steelers played pretty well considering it was their first outing.

I guess this all hinges on one's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    It has nothing to do with winning or losing I look at particular teams (offensive, defensive, special teams, receivers etc...) and watch how they perform. Even if you won 40-0 or lost 40-0 if your offensive line played well I will acknowledge that. Most of the runs were the backs breaking tackles not that your line was making gaping holes for them. You are correct it is preseason, but I'm sure the Steeler's coaching staff was not happy on how they performed especially 1st string against 1st string. Let's put it this way if by the end of the third preseason game they are still having problems with the o-line you would have to admit it would be a major concern considering how Ben has become injury prone as of late due to his holding the ball to long.

Havent we all learned to not count the Steelers out this early?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    This.

The level of overreaction based on one preseason is something this board has not seen in years.

Now it seems its extending to other teams.