Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The importance of keeping your quarterback comfortable can't possibly be overstated.

Not sure this deserves its own thread, but if you watched the Texans game last night Schaub looked absolutely awful. His mechanics completely fell apart, his accuracy was terrible, he was jittery in the pocket, missed open receivers, etc. etc... a terrible display of quarterbacking.

Schaub is a very good and underrated QB with some of the best offensive talent in the league around him. But the Patriots found a way to make him uncomfortable and take away the things he relies on. Bracketing Andre Johnson, spying Foster on the checkdown, and clamping down on Owen Daniels in the red zone. Bill Belichick's defensive mantra has always been to take away what a team does best and see if they can beat you with something else. Despite having terrible defensive talent his defenses always seem to hit their stride right around this time.

Just a reminder that quarterbacks are creatures of habit, and ALL of them will struggle horribly when you get them uncomfortable and out of rhythm. It happened to Schaub last night, it's happened to Flacco many times, look at how poorly Tom Brady plays when he starts taking hits or how Peyton Manning can throw 6 interceptions in a game when he's deceived by coverages that confuse him pre-snap.

Here's hoping that Jim Caldwell makes more of an effort to get Flacco comfortable and playing the kind of football that meshes with his skill set and supporting cast.

Blog Entries

Re: The importance of keeping your quarterback comfortable can't possibly be overstated.

Quarterbacks need to get into a rhythm and nothing gets Joe Flacco into a quality rhythm more than the no-huddle offense. All of a sudden, he's using the pump fake, manipulating the defense, even shuffling his feet when he gets time.

He's not the type of QB that you can slow down and think is going to remain just as effective.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: The importance of keeping your quarterback comfortable can't possibly be overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Quarterbacks need to get into a rhythm and nothing gets Joe Flacco into a quality rhythm more than the no-huddle offense. All of a sudden, he's using the pump fake, manipulating the defense, even shuffling his feet when he gets time.

He's not the type of QB that you can slow down and think is going to remain just as effective.
    Cameron rarely helped Flacco get into a rhythm. If Flacco was struggling, I never really saw Cam call any easy high percentage passes.

This is where I think Caldwell will be huge. Caldwell understands how to run an effective offense.

The first three years Joe has been somewhat coddled and the last two including this year he's taken on more responsibility in terms of audibling and checking out but nevertheless he was still handcuff somewhat. In can be argued that it was either Cam's Stubborness or lack of trust in Joe. The next 4 games (including at least one playoff game) will be an audition on several fronts. Can Joe step up to the next level now that he'll get more flexibility and can this Joe-Caldwell relationship prosper in a different capacity. It's time to turn Joe loose to see what we really have in him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

+10
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    This is where I think Caldwell will be huge. Caldwell understands how to run an effective offense.
    And he demonstrated this when/where?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Cameron rarely helped Flacco get into a rhythm. If Flacco was struggling, I never really saw Cam call any easy high percentage passes.

Troof!
    Cam's idea of rhythm was a 5YO regardless of coverage.
    Caldwell/Peyton...a quick slant. However...the OL have to tie up the upper arms of the DL or else it will be bat-down city. I mentioned it b/c they certainly aren't used to doing it.

G3
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I don't think Schaub is underrated. If anything he is over rated.

At the very least, Joe is going to feel less encumbered out there down the stretch run. Long term I suppose we will see if he has it in him to run the show so to speak.

But at the very least, I think you see a lot of frustrated guys on offense start to amp up the play in these 3 huge games coming up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I don't think Schaub is underrated. If anything he is over rated.

How about just...rated?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    His whole career. Look at what he did at Wake Forest then with Brad Johnson at Tampa and of course Peyton. Peyton credits a lot of his success to Caldwell. In the end of the day I have more faith in Caldwell then Cameron by far. Caldwell has been on Super Bowl teams. He knows what it takes to run a good offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    His whole career. Look at what he did at Wake Forest then with Brad Johnson at Tampa and of course Peyton. Peyton credits a lot of his success to Caldwell. In the end of the day I have more faith in Caldwell then Cameron by far. Caldwell has been on Super Bowl teams. He knows what it takes to run a good offense.