Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Kyle Juszyzck...I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    KJ was not brought in to play TE. He was brought in to be a HB. His blocking is not up to snuff for the NFL yet. Therefore they resigned Leach. KJ has not really been practicing at TE too much. They are having him focus on special teams and just getting better as an NFL player. You just can't throw the guy into the TE position because he is athletic. I do hope they start to use him as a HB and give him some reps out of the spot in which they drafted him. I doubt we see him lining up as a pure TE anytime soon.
    No one is saying line him up at TE.

What I, and others, are saying is that his ability to catch the ball and make plays should garner some sort of package that gets him into the game. He may not set the world ablaze or anything, but we have two oft-injured TEs out there right now; one of which can't separate and drops passes and the other who just flat out drops everything.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    No one is saying line him up at TE.

What I, and others, are saying is that his ability to catch the ball and make plays should garner some sort of package that gets him into the game. He may not set the world ablaze or anything, but we have two oft-injured TEs out there right now; one of which can't separate and drops passes and the other who just flat out drops everything.
    Dig it. On the heels of week 1, the only reason I can see not inserting Juice into the offense is that you want to unleash him on HOU.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    If there is one thing I know about the Ravens it is that they are very conservative and will wait a long time before making any major changes. I expect the same basic group back out there on offense next week with this rookie still sitting around.
    Yeah, but in the past, we would have never seen Marlon Brown. I think that is position coaches and Caldwell having John's ear.

Blog Entries

if you have played organized football all your life and made it to the college level you should be well adapt to learning playbooks if you make it to the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    if you have played organized football all your life and made it to the college level you should be well adapt to learning playbooks if you make it to the NFL.
    Take a look at a college playbook then look at a pro playbook.

The jump in complexity is tremendous and precisely the reason most pro teams place great emphasis on the Wonderlic score.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Take a look at a college playbook then look at a pro playbook.

The jump in complexity is tremendous and precisely the reason most pro teams place great emphasis on the Wonderlic score.
    Never mind the fact that even at the college level the competition is significantly less than at the NFL level.

Physical capability can be much, much more effective at the college level than a robust offensive design.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Never mind the fact that even at the college level the competition is significantly less than at the NFL level.

Physical capability can be much, much more effective at the college level than a robust offensive design.
    This. Plus I'm sure the Ravens did not include an H-back in any of their offence so their had to be a transition period for the playbook itself to include KJ's abilities in that role. It would be a transition period for not just KJ, but for every player in the offence
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I think the point here being that... we could ease him in the system... Maybe utilize him on third-downs or on a down that is based on distance or something like that. He does not have to memorize everything in the playbook from the get go as if he would be a starter, just enough to get his feet wet.

Hell, we could even limit his snap count... just get him on the field and see what he can do for us. I think that is what some of the posters meant...

Even with a complicated playbook (I have seen a couple NFL playbooks), we can simplify the playbook for this guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I think the point here being that... we could ease him in the system... Maybe utilize him on third-downs or on a down that is based on distance or something like that. He does not have to memorize everything in the playbook from the get go as if he would be a starter, just enough to get his feet wet.

Hell, we could even limit his snap count... just get him on the field and see what he can do for us. I think that is what some of the posters meant...

Even with a complicated playbook (I have seen a couple NFL playbooks), we can simplify the playbook for this guy...
    And I guarantee we will begin to see this, but people are overreacting about not seeing him in the first game. This whole playbook thing is just one of the reasons. This coaching staff makes rookies earn their playing time, as we have seen this year with Brown and Elam and in the past
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    This. Plus I'm sure the Ravens did not include an H-back in any of their offence so their had to be a transition period for the playbook itself to include KJ's abilities in that role. It would be a transition period for not just KJ, but for every player in the offence
    That is true... however, you will find a way to put your playmakers on the field regardless... It was not like we picked him up off the street, we drafted him with a purpose. That should give an offensive coordinator (Caldwell) enough time to incorporate him into the system...

I hope we are not going to break him down then build him up like have the tendency to do with other players.

Blog Entries

I am amazed there is this much consternation over the underutlization in game one of a rookie, late 4th round, second team fullback.

He is 6'1. 250 and runs a 4.7 in the 40. The route tree is pretty limited there, folks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    And I guarantee we will begin to see this, but people are overreacting about not seeing him in the first game. This whole playbook thing is just one of the reasons. This coaching staff makes rookies earn their playing time, as we have seen this year with Brown and Elam and in the past
    An overreaction? Perhaps a bit.

However, it would seem to me that those plays/packages already exist. Clearly the offense needed a boost (namely, someone who could CATCH the damn ball), so why not move onto some other packages with different personnel/plays and find a combo that works?

Isn't that the point of half-time adjustments/in-game adjustments?