Page 1 of 28 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Officiating (Merged Threads)

What did you guys think of the officials as it relates to what we normally get? There were a few questionable calls for sure but then again there almost always will be.

Slightly OT - they had a 'real' official in the booth and I thought it was funny that every time they asked him if the refs got it right he tried to make it look like they just blew a huge call. Agenda on full display

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Re: Officiating

I thought it was pretty good, except for that atrocious call against Webb for his hit on Dalton.

We got a couple of gimmies, and we got hosed on a few. Kind of balanced out.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

r-title--
    When I was playing/managing soccer, I learned a valuable lesson from a wise and very good soccer player from across the Pond - whining about the officials is for losers. Not that your thread is doing that, and it should be noted that the Ravens WON! :D What bothered me the most were the (at least from my perspective) misplaced spots for both teams, at times appearing like they were off by two yards or so. One early 1st down by the Ravens looked pretty questionable, IMO.

OTOH, I tend to agree with both of your comments - there were some ??? calls, but overall not a "bad" performance from the refs, and it WAS funny listening to Jerry Mxyzptlk (or whatever his name was) in the booth telling us that Boldin defintiely didn't catch the TD pass and other myths. ;)

From last nights games and from the games from the weekend, I think the replacements did just as good a job as the regular refs.

Yes, there were bad calls, but none of the mistakes made were anything out of the ordinary or different from the regular crews.

And that's not a good thing for the refs that are locked out. With every week that goes by, these guys lose more and more leverage (not that they had a lot anyway).

Once the games start I don't even realize that they are replacements.

People can point to obvious mistakes, but the regular refs were so terrible that you don't notice a difference.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Slightly OT - they had a 'real' official in the booth and I thought it was funny that every time they asked him if the refs got it right he tried to make it look like they just blew a huge call. Agenda on full display
    Actually the Ex Official in the booth backed most calls they made on the field, including the Webb call.

Anyhow, I think the biggest missed calls were simple ball spotting mistakes. Ray Rice rolled for a full extra yard before he was touched on the 4th down conversion. Luckily it didn't change the outcome. The Bengals were also victims of a bad spot that shorted them a 1st down, but they got it on the next play.. so no harm. I think the PI on whoever was defending Boldin was a lame call. Boldin's TD was a mistake... although there may not have enough clear evedince to over rule the call on the field. But I could see the ball lose and on the ground under his body. I thought the block in the back against Torrey Smith was a terrible call as well.

That brings us to the Webb call.... I think it was a bad call. But!!! But.... This is why I think they called it the way that they did (and it's a lame call). Webb made a cleanly timed hit. He squared and lined his shoulders up to tackle Dalton with his head to the outside. Dalton moved a little and Webb made slight contact with the crown of his helmet. There is no way to ovoid that... ever.
    Last edited by MinnesotaRaven; 09-11-2012 at 09:39 AM.

I liked the fact that they weren't throwing the flag s often as you sometimes see. Just be consistent. That should be the goal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Actually the Ex Official in the booth backed every call they made on the field, including the Webb call.
    No he said the Boldin catch was not a TD and there was one other that he said they got wrong.

Overall I agree with most here, they weren't perfect but neither are the regular officials, who are hoping for a huge blunder that they can use as leverage. Not getting it though

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    From last nights games and from the games from the weekend, I think the replacements did just as good a job as the regular refs.

Yes, there were bad calls, but none of the mistakes made were anything out of the ordinary or different from the regular crews.

And that's not a good thing for the refs that are locked out. With every week that goes by, these guys lose more and more leverage (not that they had a lot anyway).
    The biggest problem I see with the replacements is communication issues. These guys just need to get some game time experience and comfortable with their officiating teams. They will also adjust to the speed of the game and style quickly too. I wonder if some of the spotting errors were just falling back to old habits of a college player being down right when they hit the ground. These things will improve.

Maybe after the season, All of these officials (replacements and regulars) will be thrown into a combined pool and the best of the best will be picked. Maybe part of that is a completely revamped system requiring younger, more athletic, and full timed officiating teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    No he said the Boldin catch was not a TD and there was one other that he said they got wrong.

Overall I agree with most here, they weren't perfect but neither are the regular officials, who are hoping for a huge blunder that they can use as leverage. Not getting it though
    Yeah... I remeber the comment on the Boldin TD catch... I tried to edit that before it posted. oh well. ;) BTW though... he was right. The Boldin Catch shouldn't have been a TD. I didn't see any agenda there.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    r-title--
    When I was playing/managing soccer, I learned a valuable lesson from a wise and very good soccer player from across the Pond - whining about the officials is for losers. Not that your thread is doing that, and it should be noted that the Ravens WON! :D What bothered me the most were the (at least from my perspective) misplaced spots for both teams, at times appearing like they were off by two yards or so. One early 1st down by the Ravens looked pretty questionable, IMO.

OTOH, I tend to agree with both of your comments - there were some ??? calls, but overall not a "bad" performance from the refs, and it WAS funny listening to Jerry Mxyzptlk (or whatever his name was) in the booth telling us that Boldin defintiely didn't catch the TD pass and other myths. ;)
    Spotting the ball was bad during preseason and my concern as well. The Ray Rice catch for the first down Rice had to reach behind to get was very bad. He landed just past the first down line where they marked it, was never touched and rolled out of bounds another 1.5 to 2 yards.