Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: New NFL rules for amping up the crowd noise ...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    WiFi is not mentioned in the article from the OP, but I like the idea. Gives fans what they've been asking for in terms of having the ability to check scores during TV time outs.

As for the OP's topic, seems like a reasonable thing to me as well. Why not exploit your home field advantage even more?
    I dont, all it means is that our ticket and concession prices will rise.

Its unnecessary.

Who here remembers when the home team received a delay of game penalty for "excessive crowd noise"??? Poor visiting team QB (wasn't it that weasel Elway?) complained about being unable to hear himself because those naughty Chiefs fans were too loud... Oh my. And what happened when the referee warned the crowd to get quiet? They got even louder. I think those were the teams and Elway was the pussy begging for the penalty.

How I pine for the days when the league knew the right way to deal with fans. NOT!

:D

If the home crowd cannot get pumped up to generate noise on their own, video prompts are not really going to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    I dont, all it means is that our ticket and concession prices will rise.

Its unnecessary.
    Like they weren't going to already?

Blog Entries

Stupid question here. (I've only been to a couple of games & never paid much attention to the video boards.)

If your screens are positioned behind the two endzones, & it is now OK to use "video prompts" throughout the play, what's to prevent a team from flashing that "video prompt" VERY BRIGHT & VERY FAST as soon as the opposing offense breaks the huddle in an attempt to distract the QB? Flashing bright lights in the QB's face could be just as disruptive of the play as loud noise.

The best way to distract the opposing team... And everyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Stupid question here. (I've only been to a couple of games & never paid much attention to the video boards.)

If your screens are positioned behind the two endzones, & it is now OK to use "video prompts" throughout the play, what's to prevent a team from flashing that "video prompt" VERY BRIGHT & VERY FAST as soon as the opposing offense breaks the huddle in an attempt to distract the QB? Flashing bright lights in the QB's face could be just as disruptive of the play as loud noise.
    If I'm not mistaken Cowboy stadium actually does this. Not on the the main screen, but on the LED banner that goes around the entire mid level of the stadium. I remember seeing it and thought it was bullshit.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

The audio prompts being allowed to 20 seconds left on the play clock might slow down some teams' no huddle a bit more since it might be harder to hear the signals called from the line of scrimmage if the sound system is piping "audio prompts" for the first half of the clock time.

Any crowd who needs to be told when to cheer isn't a crowd worthy of their own football team.

We have an advantage over many as our 'intelligent fan' ratio is higher than, say, Jacksonville, who require a zipline riding mascot to get excited :grbac:

Just another example of the NFL trying to substitute genuine passion and spontaneity with a league-approved, controlled gameday experience.

Maybe Goodell could issue thousands of electronically controlled muzzles for teams to activate on their fans when the home side is on offense.

Do you guys realize that the NFL actually passed a rule that favors the Defense for a change? :D
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Wi-fi in stadiums is a dumb investment. I don't go to games to look at a smartphone. There are two huge HDTV screens at either end of the stadium that should provide me everything that I would be interested in while watching the games.

Rather than invest in Wi-Fi, I'd rather see an auxiliary scoreboard installed to continually show the scores of our division rivals game at all times without being busied up with fantasy player stats. This used to be a standard feature of NFL stadiums.
    In case you haven't noticed, there are 71,000 other folks who go to the stadium besides just you. WiFi at the stadium would be a great idea. People do want to check fantasy stats or real time scores in the other games, and I know my cell phone is almost unusable for data during a game because the cell towers are getting slammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, there are 71,000 other folks who go to the stadium besides just you. WiFi at the stadium would be a great idea. People do want to check fantasy stats or real time scores in the other games, and I know my cell phone is almost unusable for data during a game because the cell towers are getting slammed.
    If you're looking down all the time for your fantasy stats, not only will you be fucking your mind up when it comes to analyzing real football but you'll also miss the big screen messages telling you when to cheer. ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    Any crowd who needs to be told when to cheer isn't a crowd worthy of their own football team.

We have an advantage over many as our 'intelligent fan' ratio is higher than, say, Jacksonville, who require a zipline riding mascot to get excited :grbac:
    I always thought the zip line mascot thing was cool.