Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: All Versions of Gun Bill Go Down in Flames

THAT and banning them won't stop people from getting or making them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    BTW - I don't think there is a debate to be had about magazine capacity. As you can see (or hear) here you need more than 10 shots.

sure there is. if they didnt have large capacity mags the cops wouldnt have been shot at as much and could have moved in when they were reloading. thats pretty much the whole argument for restricting mag size, which police (or FBI in this case) dont fall under. whether you agree or disagree is another issue but theres certainly an argument.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    sure there is. if they didnt have large capacity mags the cops wouldnt have been shot at as much and could have moved in when they were reloading. thats pretty much the whole argument for restricting mag size, which police (or FBI in this case) dont fall under. whether you agree or disagree is another issue but theres certainly an argument.
    You think all those shots are just the suspect(s) missing?

Blog Entries

You think all those shots are just the suspect(s) missing?
    i think it was a shootout. which is the exact scenario that less than 10 shots would help the police. Also very unlikely for a civilian to be in at the same time. Whenever the Mag convo is talked about, it doesnt apply to police, so 2:1 ratio roughly (9:16), who has the better chance of winning that? Thats the whole argument for minimizing mag size which in theory is relevant. Im saying its an argument/debate whether you agree or not is your prerogative.

i said in the past i dont really see the point in 10+, but again personally i dont really care if you do as long as youre qualified and responsible.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

i think it was a shootout. which is the exact scenario that less than 10 shots would help the police. Also very unlikely for a civilian to be in at the same time. Whenever the Mag convo is talked about, it doesnt apply to police, so 2:1 ratio roughly (9:16), who has the better chance of winning that? Thats the whole argument for minimizing mag size which in theory is relevant. Im saying its an argument/debate whether you agree or not is your prerogative.

i said in the past i dont really see the point in 10+, but again personally i dont really care if you do as long as youre qualified and responsible.
    You've essentially made my case for me. Right here
    if they didnt have large capacity mags the cops wouldnt have been shot at as much and could have moved in when they were reloading
    If I (or whoever) is in a situation where they need to shoot and when they run out they will need to reload, giving the person or people they are shooting at a chance to move in on them.

Not every shooting happens between the police and bad guys. I used this clip to show even the most trained people (Cops) miss too. So if they miss then the average citizen will miss too, needing more than 10.

I watch the show "THe Following" while they've draged it on, it's a good show. But it cracks me up, every time a someone gets shot, the person who shoots them aims, pulls the trigger once, hits them and they die instantly upon the bullet touching their body. Now I have never been involved in a shooting, but I have friends and family in law enforcement and the military and I didn't need them to tell me, but how "The Following" and other shows/movies portray it, isn't how it happens. Not only do people miss but often times people get shot multiple times and still live. You need more than 10. And lets not forget banning the sale of them won't stop people who shouldn't have the guns that hold them from getting them either.

Blog Entries

You've essentially made my case for me. Right here

If I (or whoever) is in a situation where they need to shoot and when they run out they will need to reload, giving the person or people they are shooting at a chance to move in on them.

Not every shooting happens between the police and bad guys. I used this clip to show even the most trained people (Cops) miss too. So if they miss then the average citizen will miss too, needing more than 10.

I watch the show "THe Following" while they've draged it on, it's a good show. But it cracks me up, every time a someone gets shot, the person who shoots them aims, pulls the trigger once, hits them and they die instantly upon the bullet touching their body. Now I have never been involved in a shooting, but I have friends and family in law enforcement and the military and I didn't need them to tell me, but how "The Following" and other shows/movies portray it, isn't how it happens. Not only do people miss but often times people get shot multiple times and still live. You need more than 10. And lets not forget banning the sale of them won't stop people who shouldn't have the guns that hold them from getting them either.
    you said theres no argument, thats opinion, and the exact scenario youre referencing is an ideal topic for it. Bad guys will still get them most likely, which probably piggy backs other laws about sales of firearms but regardless, its still a valid argument even if you dont agree. I dont think this is a defining point of a civilian needing more shots, because a civilian wasnt even involved. find me the story of a civilian running out while trying to defend themselves and came in harms way and id say thats good evidence to why we need them, not this.

TV shows are always fun because they also never reload. which with the fire fights they typically portray, they do. Even in that video, which im not sure of the specifics (number of guns), but there seems to be a lull and then a final fire fight. Could have been reloading, which just would have happened that much sooner if they didnt have a larger magazine. I honestly have no idea even what they had.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

you said theres no argument, thats opinion, and the exact scenario youre referencing is an ideal topic for it. Bad guys will still get them most likely, which probably piggy backs other laws about sales of firearms but regardless, its still a valid argument even if you dont agree. I dont think this is a defining point of a civilian needing more shots, because a civilian wasnt even involved. find me the story of a civilian running out while trying to defend themselves and came in harms way and id say thats good evidence to why we need them, not this.
    You're taking my example to literal. It was not the scenario I was pointing out, it was that even the most trained miss. Is there a story out there of a civilian needing more than 10, I'm sure there is, but I don't think there needs to be a limit on mag capacity so I don't care to look for it.

Two problems here.

One, that's just a fundamental lack of knowledge about guns. Changing a mag on an AR 15 is incredibly simple and does not offer any significant amount of time for someone to seek cover -- at most, a second or two.

Second, as it's been played out many times when their was a mag ban in the 90's, it wont make a lick of difference with criminals getting them. A mag, as it was shown during the 90's, will simply limit them to law abiding people. Do you really think these asshats would have not obtained them if their were a ban in effect?

If banning something worked, we'd have no drug problem in this country.

I don't think a complete ban on larger mag sizes is right.

That being said, I don't understand the logic sometimes used. I mean how often is a civilian engaged in an all out fire fight, where the precious seconds to reload are key to survival. While this is a good argument to make, I think it loses impact because of today's world.

We don't exactly live in the wild west anymore. Major shootouts like the one in Boston, are between criminals and police.

This is just one example of many points those who are anti gun control have been saying for years. I think the rhetoric needs to be updated.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I don't think a complete ban on larger mag sizes is right.

That being said, I don't understand the logic sometimes used. I mean how often is a civilian engaged in an all out fire fight, where the precious seconds to reload are key to survival. While this is a good argument to make, I think it loses impact because of today's world.

We don't exactly live in the wild west anymore. Major shootouts like the one in Boston, are between criminals and police.

This is just one example of many points those who are anti gun control have been saying for years. I think the rhetoric needs to be updated.
    Here's the thing, and this applies to the when someone says the 2nd amendment isn't for hunting. "It's for you to be able to protect yourself from everything up to a tyrannical government" and inevitably the next question is "do you think you're government is going to be come tyrannical?" ( are you a tin foil hat black helicopter guy?) While everyone may have a different definition of that, say my answer is no, does that mean we should do away with the second amendment and if or when our government becomes tyrannical we bring the second amendment back?

Same goes for a magazine ban on 10 or more, just because the rare occurrences of if or when someone may need 10 or more rounds are so few and far between, does that mean we should ban them, and then bring them back when there might be a need for them?

Fact is the overwhelming majority of people who own guns will never use them in a defense situation, and an even larger majority who own guns with magazines that hold 5, 10, 50 or 100 will never go on a mass shooting but lets go ahead and say screw you to every law-abiding citizen because there may never be a need for more than 10, and there may be some nut job who uses a gun with a high capacity magazine in a shooting, who would have gotten it illegally anyway.

BTW - The largest number of deaths in a mass shooting in the US was Virginia Tech, the guy used two handguns.. without high capacity magazines.

Sorry for the rant, just tired of the argument of affecting the rights of law abiding citizens when it won;t do shit to stop the people who are already breaking current laws.

The vast majority of cops don't get in fire fights either. They shoot a few rounds, occasionally more than 5 rounds and rarely empty their mags. So we should do away with theirs too, right?

This notion of what is, in essence, bullet rationing is silly and, like many gun restrictions, will only impact lawful gun owners, not bad people out to hurt someone. Do people really think bad guys will follow a magazine restriction?!

The logic behind a cop carrying multiple rounds with higher capacity magazine is the exact same reason why I, as a home owner, am interested interested in doing the same -- on the off chance I confront a bad guy, overwhelming force gives me the best chance to survive and protect my family.

Good points HR and NCRaven, and I largely agree with you both. I'm currently reading Language Intelligence. Has me thinking about how rhetoric is used. Like I said maybe the rhetoric needs to be changed (not the overall point) to reach and/or convince others to your side.

Personally I'm very conflicted on gun control. While I want it harder for criminals, radicals, and the mental deranged to get their hands on weapons, I also believe in the 2nd amendment and every citizen's right to own fire arms (ust maybe not for the same reasons as you).
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller