Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

49'ers have all the matchup advantages?

So I was listening to Sirius today, and I keep hearing others who are picking the Niners say it as well: That the Niners have all the matchup advantages. Funny too, because this guy on Sirius who was with Pat Kirwin I think, kept comparing different o-linemen with each other, and Kirwin even said, uh, these guys aren't lining up against each other dude.

Anyway...I digress...

What are all these matchup advantages the Niners have?

Maybe Vernon Davis on our linebackers, and maybe their running game to a degree. I don't seem them passing on us a lot with Crabtree and Moss as their primary guys.

On the other side, their secondary is suspect against the pass, and I don't see anyone who can cover Torrey deep. Their pass rush has been anemic as of late(and the Ravens has been getting better, btw). They had one more sack than us all year in the reg season, and we have way more in the playoffs. They are probably going to be tough to run on, but Michael Turner was doing well before he got hurt.

Our Kicking and return game is much better than theirs.

I just don't see all these huge matchup advantages, does anyone else? I think if anyone has them, it's the Ravens. I see the Ravens being able to score more quickly, while the Niners are going to have to grind it out because they really don't have the deep threats that we do.

And nowhere near enough people are talking about the huge disparity in the strength of schedules the two teams faced. That is a huge indicator for me. A lot aren't even talking about how the two defenses are trending down the stretch and playoffs - though I did finally see someone mention it a bit, but also pointed out that the Ravens gave up nearly 400 ypg in the playoffs(without mentioning that Manning and Brady were two of the QB's faced).

I've also heard a few mention on ESPN and Sirius saying that they didn't think either team would have the crowd more behind them, yet I saw along with most people the disparity of flights booked to NO from Baltimore vs from San Fran (being more than 2:1), and everyone I know who is down there right now said it's literally a sea of purple.

Is it just me, or are there just a lot of talking heads that just flat out *want* the Niners to win?

Re: 49'ers have all the matchup advantages?

Oh, I think if you go down the roster, the 49ers have better talent at more spots than we do.

That doesn't really matter in the long run though. It's all about who is the best team and who is playing the best.

Any given Sunday.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Oh, I think if you go down the roster, the 49ers have better talent at more spots than we do.
    I don't know about that.

I think at the skill positions, RB, WR, QB, TE, we have them beat. Some might argue TE, but production would say otherwise, particuarly down the stretch.

Our secondary is better than theirs. Safeties, maybe even, but we have better corners and depth.

O-lines are about a wash. Same with D-line. They have linebacker advantages. We have it on special teams.

Blog Entries

Kirwan is pretty solidly in the 9ers camp on this one and he states his reasons why, starting with all of the pro bowlers they have compared to Ravens. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and he's a smart football dude but that doesn't mean he's right.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I think the whole "49ers are more talented" thing is a bit overrated, lets compare posistions by posistion.

Joe Flacco gets the edge over kaepernick, more experienced, and Kaepernick still has a lot to prove in this league.

Ray Rice is better than Frank gore, Pierce is better than LaMichael James

I'd say overall their Oline is better, but I'd take Birk and Yanda over Alex Boone and Goodwin.

I'd take Boldin over Moss any day of the week, I'd probably take Crabtree over Torrey though.

Davis edges out Pitta.

On defense I'd take Ngata over their nose tackle, and probably even Justin Smith (with one arm) and Ray McDonald. But McDonald and Smith edge McPhee and Art Jones IMO.

I'd take Willis and Bowman over Ray and Ellerbe. I'd take Suggs over Aldon Smith when Siggs is healthy. Suggs has been better in the play offs than Aldon with one arm. I'd take Brooks over Kruger, not by much.

I'd take Corey Grahame over Rogers, I'd take Brown over Cary though.

I'd take both Pollard and Reed over their safeties, I think they are both significantly overrated.

So yeah IMO we are a lot more evenly matched ON PAPER on the 9ers.

Blog Entries

They both said they'd take CK over Flacco. I just report the news, don't make it up...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

That doesn't really matter in the long run though. It's all about who is the best team and who is playing the best.

Any given Sunday.
    I agree that roster spot to roster spot OVERALL theirs is slightly better, but not by much, at all.

The better TEAM in my opinion is the Ravens, especially on D.

Just for the sake of shits and giggles, after the kid goes to bed I might compare roster spot to roster spot. Cause the more I think about it I might lean the Ravens way.

Let them keep talking. I'll take the guy who's been to 3 AFCC games than the 9 game starter any day of the week.

Let them continue to believe we don't have an offense.

Let them keep talking.

9. Re: 49'ers have all the matchup advantages?

It's complete and utter hogwash IMHO. Everyone seems to like to talk about the postseason so much, well what about our D compared to theirs? Solely looking at the last two games for each team, the Ravens and 9ers have played high octane offenses in both games. We have fared MUCH better. People also forget that the 9ers played against smaller units that they could overpower offensively. I don't think either of those defenses are even close to what the Ravens are as of now. You add in that we have two weeks to rest and study CK and this offense, I like our chances. I expect them to make plays, they're certainly a talented team, but I love how the media is making this seem like an impossible task to a veteran team that communicates very well with 52 at the center. He's also just making his 10th career start. THAT'S SIGNIFICANT. He will make mistakes, I guarantee that. Our defense will be ready for this game! We didn't come all this way to get scorched and be caught off guard, and I'm talking years when I mean all this way (for Ray's second ring, Ed, Suggs, Ngata, etc.).

Their rush has been flat, both Smiths and Brooks are more banged up than people realize. Protect Joe, and their secondary turns to toast IMPO. I think they'll be stout vs the run, but if we can get just enough out of Rice and Pierce, we will be able to unleash the ball downfield. I think we should also put Jacoby out in 3 WR sets where we run the ball very well. It will push the safeties back deeper, having to account for speed, which will open up matchups underneath.

I think we also have the edge as far as having Tucker and Jones.

Add in the pure emotion, drive, and momentum streak we're on, plus the level of disrespect we've received, I'm very confident, especially as the game draws nearer. That's not to say they're not a talented team. They could win the game, it'll be a challenge. However, I just can't help but feel very good about our chances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Let them keep talking. I'll take the guy who's been to 3 AFCC games than the 9 game starter any day of the week.

Let them continue to believe we don't have an offense.

Let them keep talking.
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    It's complete and utter hogwash IMHO. Everyone seems to like to talk about the postseason so much, well what about our D compared to theirs? Solely looking at the last two games for each team, the Ravens and 9ers have played high octane offenses in both games. We have fared MUCH better. People also forget that the 9ers played against smaller units that they could overpower offensively. I don't think either of those defenses are even close to what the Ravens are as of now. You add in that we have two weeks to rest and study CK and this offense, I like our chances. I expect them to make plays, they're certainly a talented team, but I love how the media is making this seem like an impossible task to a veteran team that communicates very well with 52 at the center. He's also just making his 10th career start. THAT'S SIGNIFICANT. He will make mistakes, I guarantee that. Our defense will be ready for this game! We didn't come all this way to get scorched and be caught off guard, and I'm talking years when I mean all this way (for Ray's second ring, Ed, Suggs, Ngata, etc.).

Their rush has been flat, both Smiths and Brooks are more banged up than people realize. Protect Joe, and their secondary turns to toast IMPO. I think they'll be stout vs the run, but if we can get just enough out of Rice and Pierce, we will be able to unleash the ball downfield. I think we should also put Jacoby out in 3 WR sets where we run the ball very well. It will push the safeties back deeper, having to account for speed, which will open up matchups underneath.

I think we also have the edge as far as having Tucker and Jones.

Add in the pure emotion, drive, and momentum streak we're on, plus the level of disrespect we've received, I'm very confident, especially as the game draws nearer. That's not to say they're not a talented team. They could win the game, it'll be a challenge. However, I just can't help but feel very good about our chances.
    See Seattle game. They were flat out dominated by a physical defense like ours (scehemes differences, but Seattle are a similar team to us from a physical stand point) most of the teams the 9ers faces were finesse teams, or just plain bad teams.

12. Re: 49'ers have all the matchup advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    See Seattle game. They were flat out dominated by a physical defense like ours (scehemes differences, but Seattle are a similar team to us from a physical stand point) most of the teams the 9ers faces were finesse teams, or just plain bad teams.
    Exactly! Which is what they say about us, that all we've faced are finesse teams! Have they forgotten that we're the Baltimore Ravens, who play in the most physical division in the league might I add? And if we haven't seen anything like the 9ers physicality, then they sure haven't seen nothing like us either. That Seahawk game does stand out. Kaepernick didn't look too good throwing if I recall that right. Even in both playoff games, their offense seemed to start slow. They were just able to wear down these smaller, less physical teams over time.

Sterling Sharpe has the Ravens winning with Pierce as the MVP, and with his style of running, that could be possible. He hasn't been talked about too too much, but I'd like to see a heavy dose of him while Ray even splits out wide against the LB's.