Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Birk Wades Into Same-Sex Marriage Debate

Per PFT:

Last month, Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo came out in favor of expanding the legal definition of marriage to include folks of the same gender. Over the weekend, Ravens center Matt Birk voiced his opposition to it in an op-ed that ran in the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

“I think it is important to set the record straight about what the marriage debate is and is not about, and to clarify that not all NFL players think redefining marriage is a good thing,” Birk wrote.

On Monday, Birk said he won’t let the issue become a “circus” in the locker room, but he also said he won’t remain silent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rriage-debate/
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Re: Birk Wades Into Same-Sex Marriage Debate

As Birk went to Harvard, I'm a little shocked by his stance: Most studies show (and in my own personal experience it's been the case more often than not) that higher education = more liberal/progressive views.

But he's right, since Ayanbadejo vocalized his opinion, Birk has every right to do the same.

This is too politically charged for the main page.

This thread needs to live here.

Discuss .....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This is too politically charged for the main page.

This thread needs to live here.

Discuss .....
    Is it? It was just a news item. I don't think the news about Brendan expressing his views then being told to shut up by that one lawmaker got moved to an outside forum, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    As Birk went to Harvard, I'm a little shocked by his stance: Most studies show (and in my own personal experience it's been the case more often than not) that higher education = more liberal/progressive views.
    Hog to the Wash.

Yes, Birk has a right to his opinion, but please show me these studies that "Higher education = more liberal / progressive".

Someone ought to tell Dr. Gingrich that nugget.

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Is it? It was just a news item. I don't think the news about Brendan expressing his views then being told to shut up by that one lawmaker got moved to an outside forum, did it?
    Yes, it most certainly did.

Blog Entries

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and Birk is expressing his in an appropriate manner, nothing wrong here.

Not everyone has the popular/liberal opinion.

And let Chris Kluwe response be a lesson on how to respond in kind ....

http://blogs.twincities.com/outofbou...o-14-problems/

Bravo! I don't agree with Birk's stance, but it's reasoned and he's a well educated man. Instead of the knee-jerk reaction of calling him a bigot, Kluwe responds with facts.

It's education that's going to change the minds of folks who do not understand the gay community, not name calling. It's the later that hardens people to their stance.

I think the intellectual-liberal equation is a reflection of the amount of liberal intellectuals involved in mainstream media and other TV avenues.

Many (I'd say most) eminent conservative intellectuals are simply unknown. Paul Rahe, Victor Davis Hanson, John Taylor, to name a few.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Also, I don't think Facebook polls/likes or twitter trending constitute a study.

At least not in any legitimate sense.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

And let Chris Kluwe response be a lesson on how to respond in kind ....

http://blogs.twincities.com/outofbou...o-14-problems/

Bravo! I don't agree with Birk's stance, but it's reasoned and he's a well educated man. Instead of the knee-jerk reaction of calling him a bigot, Kluwe responds with facts.

It's education that's going to change the minds of folks who do not understand the gay community, not name calling. It's the later that hardens people to their stance.
    I try very hard to reason with people on this issue, and I'm pretty disciplined about it. But I no longer believe that "education" will be an effective tool, at least for some people.

And I don't follow many people on Twitter, but I do follow Chris Kluwe, because he's worth it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Hog to the Wash.

Yes, Birk has a right to his opinion, but please show me these studies that "Higher education = more liberal / progressive".

Someone ought to tell Dr. Gingrich that nugget.
    More "higher eduction indoctrination" is what is should say. It is true that higher education often leads to liberalism, but education and intelligence are not intertwined as closely as some people think. I can show any number of stupid things coming out of the mouths of highly educated educators.