Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ray Rice moving Forward

We all agree that the goal is to have Rice signed by July 16 to clear up cap space and ensure he is with us for a long time.

But should we not agree and he plays the season as the Franchise player, what should the Ravens do moving forward? are they even allowed to try to work out an extension mid season or do they have to wait till the season is over?

I remember hearing that should they not reach a deal they would tag him again and then should they not reach a deal let him go. With Suggs the had to tag him twice but reached a deal so he only played one year under the tag, I do not remember what happened CMac if he played 2 years under the tag or not.

My feeling is why not tag him and then work a sign and trade and get a 1st and 3rd eaither way the Ravens will get a #1 for Rice assuming Rice has a good year and possibly more. That would be a good deal for the Ravens if they believe Pierce or AA can take the load or draft another RB.

What does everyone else think?

Blog Entries

Re: Ray Rice moving Forward

It would be extremely risky for Rice to risk playing two years under the tag. RB's have to cash in because their shelf life and earning potential close off so quickly. It might be wishful thinking but I really expect Rice to cave by the deadline. If he doesn't he puts any big payday in jeopardy.

Blog Entries

Rice could potentialy make more money over the course of his career if he plays this year under the tag. Sure its a risk but thats guaranteed money plus he will still get that big deal next year. I think he plays out this year under the tag and put at 50/50 that they get him extended next year. I would take a high 1st for him any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Rice could potentialy make more money over the course of his career if he plays this year under the tag. Sure its a risk but thats guaranteed money plus he will still get that big deal next year. I think he plays out this year under the tag and put at 50/50 that they get him extended next year. I would take a high 1st for him any day of the week.
    I can't speak for Rice, but after watching Forte spraining his MCL and Peterson tearing his knee up IMO he would be foolish to not take the guaranteed money if its a similar deal to Arian Foster's contract. It would be one thing if the Ravens were lowballing him but if the deal is the same I would jump on it. Realistically if he puts up numbers like he has the last 2 yrs how much more money is he going to get then he's being offered now? The answer is not much more other then maybe a slight bump if everyones cap goes up. The risk outweighs the potential reward. As for the trading him and getting a high 1st, that's not going to happen. With the way the rookie contracts are now and the importance of QB play, I think the day of RB's being traded for a 1st rd pick is over. The only positions teams will be willing to give up a high 1st rounder on is going to be franchise QB's and that's just the way it is.

Blog Entries

Cj-

I agree that its a huge risk...but if he stays healthy, he gets the $9 million or whatever it is this year plus the huge contract he would get next year. Basically whatever deal he would get this year plus an extra $9 mil. There is no way he would get that money after his new contract...if that makes any sense.

Would you give up a first for marshal faulk in his prime? Cuz thats basically what your getting with rice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    We all agree that the goal is to have Rice signed by July 16 to clear up cap space and ensure he is with us for a long time.

But should we not agree and he plays the season as the Franchise player, what should the Ravens do moving forward? are they even allowed to try to work out an extension mid season or do they have to wait till the season is over?

I remember hearing that should they not reach a deal they would tag him again and then should they not reach a deal let him go. With Suggs the had to tag him twice but reached a deal so he only played one year under the tag, I do not remember what happened CMac if he played 2 years under the tag or not.

My feeling is why not tag him and then work a sign and trade and get a 1st and 3rd eaither way the Ravens will get a #1 for Rice assuming Rice has a good year and possibly more. That would be a good deal for the Ravens if they believe Pierce or AA can take the load or draft another RB.

Rice would get a lot of money on the open market as a free agent. Would a team be willing to give up a 1st round pick and pay him that same money? I don't think so. We saw that with Wallace and Webb as restricted free agents this year. There was a lot of talk about that being the new way business would be done under this CBA but did it happen? No RFA signed an offer sheet. No one would trade a 1st for Rice given the fact that they would then have to sign him to big money. It's too much.

Blog Entries

Cj-

I agree that its a huge risk...but if he stays healthy, he gets the $9 million or whatever it is this year plus the huge contract he would get next year. Basically whatever deal he would get this year plus an extra $9 mil. There is no way he would get that money after his new contract...if that makes any sense.

Would you give up a first for marshal faulk in his prime? Cuz thats basically what your getting with rice.
    OR he could take the (20 million?) that he's guaranteed under the Ravens offer now and be guaranteed another 3 or 4 million in base salaries this year bringing his total take to 24 million right now.

I get what you are saying. Cash in on 17 million over two years from the franchise and then turn around and sign for another 30 or so million guaranteed when he hits free agency in two years. But two years is a VERY long time to wait. Two years is 2/3rds of the average NFL career and a world of things could happen between now and then.

If Ray was smart he'd take the money now. And have his agent structure the deal to give him one more shot at another huge payday in two or three seasons. Rice could just easily sign for whatever Foster got guaranteed today and then have the deal structured so that the Ravens are forced to cut him in a year or two. Getting the Ravens to agree might be hard but its better than the alternative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    OR he could take the (20 million?) that he's guaranteed under the Ravens offer now and be guaranteed another 3 or 4 million in base salaries this year bringing his total take to 24 million right now.

I get what you are saying. Cash in on 17 million over two years from the franchise and then turn around and sign for another 30 or so million guaranteed when he hits free agency in two years. But two years is a VERY long time to wait. Two years is 2/3rds of the average NFL career and a world of things could happen between now and then.

If Ray was smart he'd take the money now. And have his agent structure the deal to give him one more shot at another huge payday in two or three seasons. Rice could just easily sign for whatever Foster got guaranteed today and then have the deal structured so that the Ravens are forced to cut him in a year or two. Getting the Ravens to agree might be hard but its better than the alternative.
    If that's what he really was offered. It's just a rumor. We really don't know what the Ravens offered Rice

Tony isn't wrong very often. And he's only ever been wrong once when reporting something from a source within the team. I think we can take it as a fact that Ray turned down Foster's deal.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post

As much as I love RR and thinks the ravens offense runs through him I doubt a team will give a 1st and 3rd for him. If the newly drafted rookie shows promise this may be RR last year bc I don't see them giving RR 9+million which is his 2nd year tag number. RR needs to take the deal bc the Ravens hardly over play.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Cj-

Ray rice is not Marshall Faulk, as a matter of my opinion and I would guess quite a few others he is a far cry from Marshall. He is nowhere near the polished runner that Marshall was and I wonder if we are not seeing the best of Ray right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Tony isn't wrong very often. And he's only ever been wrong once when reporting something from a source within the team. I think we can take it as a fact that Ray turned down Foster's deal.
    I love Tony too but I also think it's in the teams best interest to leak that whether it's true or not. All we do know is neither the team nor Rice has confirmed it.