Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: This team hasn't peaked yet...

I don't think the pass sets up the run at all. It can enhance the production of the running game, but the impact of the pass on the run isn't anywhere near the impact the run has in setting up the pass, since the pass comes at you much faster and in much bigger chuncks. The impact the pass has on the run isn't as lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    I don't think the pass sets up the run at all. It can enhance the production of the running game, but the impact of the pass on the run isn't anywhere near the impact the run has in setting up the pass, since the pass comes at you much faster and in much bigger chuncks. The impact the pass has on the run isn't as lethal.
    The ability to pass surely has a HUGE impact on your ability to run. And not just pass, but to be able to go deep. The more a team sees you can't pass and especially to pass deep, the more they can nudge up safeties in run support.

Wasn't this one of the main points used to critize Boller? But now that it's McNair the pass no longer impacts the run? Will McNair be altering the laws of physics next?

FHRaven

Did I say the pass doesn't impact the run?

The pass doesn't impact the run as much as the run can impact the pass. That's what I'm saying. McNair threw very well in the 4th quarter but we weren't busting off 10 and 15 yard runs were we?

The run and pass both compliment each other,and vice versa.It's called a balanced offense.

Of course they compliment each other. That isn't the question.

I can't understand how anyone can be thinking playoffs with what we've seen so far. We have beaten three teams that have yet to win a game and we basically squeaked by two of those games. Sorry, that doesn't impress me a bit. This team is miles away from where it needs to be to be seriously considered a playoff contender and they don't have a hell of a lot of time to get their act together because the only games I would consider gimmies left on the schedule are Tennessee and Buffalo.

Did I say the pass doesn't impact the run?

The pass doesn't impact the run as much as the run can impact the pass. That's what I'm saying. McNair threw very well in the 4th quarter but we weren't busting off 10 and 15 yard runs were we?
    You certainly minimized it to the point of irrelvance.

The ability pass is a significant factor in being able to run. They complement each other and to minimize that is flawed. Again, hasn't everyone been screaming for 2 years that we can't run the ball because Boller can't pass?

I would also caution against drawing conclusions based on 1 quarter's performance.

FHRaven

Fair enough FH.

As for the point of Boller/not running well, we ran fine Boller's rookie year, even throughout the half season he was starting. The true reason we couldn't run is because we couldn't block. You can run against 8 man fronts if the line is good enough. I'm not sure they could run against 7 man fronts these last several years. In '04 the blocking took a major nose dive and hasn't really recovered since.

but the pass sets up the run.

you can't run when they are stacking the box against the run.
    But the passing still has to be there. The passing right now isn't there. And I think teams are keying in on it. Yesterday we saw the very thing that we were told we'd never see again. 8 men in the box. They sat back and dared the Ravens to run or pass. And once they realized they really couldn't do either, they started coming more. And a lot of that was on more poor protection and errant passes.

I don't think the pass sets up the run at all.
    LOL at the idea that the pass doesn't set up the run at all. The 49ers made it an art form under Bill Walsh. Ask Jamal about that theory -- wasn't he the one bitching last year that the passing game wasn't setting up the running game?

And after the game we had yesterday, I certainly hope this team hasn't peaked yet. We looked bad for most of the game against a team we should have handled without a lot of drama. I actually think the passing game needs to improve more than the running game, and I think it will, if the OL gives McNair a little time (a big if, admittedly).

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I think we were running the ball fine, we just got away with it when we fell behind 14-3. We kind of panicked. McNair was missing a ton of passes, we would have been better off at that point continuing to run. We were getting 3-4 yards a shot. Continuing would have given us a bigger edge in the 4th quarter. We didn't abandon the run in the 2nd quarter but we got away from it a bit.