Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Blog Entries

Re: Marlon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I think I've finally gotten the hidden message in several threads: "Which of our WRs are less bad than the rest?" IMHO not one of them has been clearly NFL ready. Hoping Stokely can somehow stay healthy.
    Even though Marlon Brown performed well with the first team offense against Carolina's first team D, which clearly is pretty good?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I think I've finally gotten the hidden message in several threads: "Which of our WRs are less bad than the rest?" IMHO not one of them has been clearly NFL ready. Hoping Stokely can somehow stay healthy.
    At some point in time you have to find out what young guy on the team can step up given the Ravens current situation they had no choice but to see who could step up an undrafted rookie is answerig the call right now along with a 7th round pick its about the time the Ravens catch lightening in a bottle with recievers we finally got one in Torrey now its time we get find another. Its not like Brown played sub par he was balling by all accounts him and Melette have been the most consistent recievers in camp and preseason. The rest of the recieving vets (not named Torrey and Stokely, Thompson due to injury) should be ashamed of themselves they have been here for a combined 8-10yrs and having two guys who may not have had a shot come in and show them up they deserve to be cut.

I guess it all depends on how you define "NFL ready". Clearly the rookies, who admittedly have very limited NFL experience, could be classified as not "NFL ready". But as jsmoove said, at some point you have to give young guys a shot, IF they've shown, in whatever opportunities that they've been given, that they might just be NFL ready. And I think Brown and Millette have done that.

But that's where the context of the 2013 preseason comes into play. The receivers the Ravens were counting on simply did not pan out. They brought in Stokley (and Clark) to help do damage control. But at this point, AND given what they've shown so far, Brown and Millette are arguable the best alternatives. I don't think there's any hidden message, though. It's been discussed all along, hasn't it?

Blog Entries

And the man has won an Academy Award. Great actor in "On The Waterfront", "The Godfather", "Streetcar named Desire", and so many more. Oh sorry, that's Marlon Brando not Marlon Brown... Bc

Blog Entries

Bandwagon jumpers. They jumped off the mellette band wagon that they got on after the LW wagon derailed. Brown had a good game. Its a good thing, but it means very little to the inconsistency the entire wrs group has shown, if not reinforced that notion. Its also speaking the dire need of the fanbase to have somebody step up when i think the coaches are more content with a commity approach were seeing.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

My big thing with WR's has always been this: I don't care how tall they are, or what their 40 time is, or how high they can jump. For me, they need to (1) run the right route, (2) run the right route, (3) run the right route, (4) catch when thrown to, (5) have enough short area burst to get open, (6) have enough strength/technique to get off press coverage when needed.

Did I mention "run the right route"?

Rookies and inexperienced players tend to fail at this part of the game until they master the playbook and reads. Which makes them dangerous, because even if they're good players, they can still single handedly lose you a game running one wrong route.

Like, say, what Tandon Doss did the other night.

We know rookies will do this. It's part of life. But vets should not. This is why guys like Stokely or Rod Smith or Derrick Mason, etc., lasted as long as they did -- they ran the right route and caught the ball when it hit their hands. Amazing how that works. How so many guys who don't have the height, the 40 time, etc. are so productive in the NFL. I've griped for years at how NFL teams evaluate WRs by overvaluing the wrong things. Anyway....

So my conclusion is this: if Doss is just as likely as Brown or Mellette to blow a game running the wrong play anyway, then let's give those guys a shot. He's had two years already, still makes rookie mistakes AND isn't productive. At least with Brown, and Mellette (and even Deonte, hopefully if he can get healthy) we have the upside, and who knows, maybe they're sharper than Doss and WON'T screw up.

The more I look at that route he ran the other night, the more I shake my head. Then his comment afterward "Joe and I just need to get on the same page, that's on both of us" I thought, what? No it is NOT on "both of" you. And you and Joe don't need to get on the same page. YOU need to get on HIS page, dude. He's the 120 million dollar Super Bowl winning QB, you are the 3rd year guy who's never done crap.

So I hope they keep Brown over Doss; after reading about how hard Harbs recruited Brown and the 3 year deal he signed (which I didn't know about till yesterday) my view is that not only has Brown looked the part of the #4 WR, the team may also have enough investment in him to where they might -- God forbid -- actually admit they screwed up on a 4th round pick 3 years ago and cut the guy who clearly isn't getting it done in favor of the guy who does appear to be getting it done.

Blog Entries

Pretty good little write up and video on br.com: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...3-849fc6e98ad2

“We recruited him like crazy,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “When we first saw him on tape, I saw him, he jumped off the tape.”

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Bandwagon jumpers. They jumped off the mellette band wagon that they got on after the LW wagon derailed. Brown had a good game. Its a good thing, but it means very little to the inconsistency the entire wrs group has shown, if not reinforced that notion. Its also speaking the dire need of the fanbase to have somebody step up when i think the coaches are more content with a commity approach were seeing.
    The difference with Brown is that he made plays vs. Tampa, was injured and didn't play vs. Atlanta and came back and made plays vs. Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Bandwagon jumpers. They jumped off the mellette band wagon that they got on after the LW wagon derailed. Brown had a good game. Its a good thing, but it means very little to the inconsistency the entire wrs group has shown, if not reinforced that notion.
    Mellette caught two deep balls against 2nd/3rd teamers. I haven't seen him do much besides that. While catching deep balls is good, Brown showed much more in the way of WR skills, against the 1's. I'm trying to remember the last time a Ravens WR was as open as he was, PAST the first down markers, on a 3rd down play. I'm pretty sure Q never was.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Why do some people find it inconceivable that we could possibly find a good reciever? Shit as much as how we tried and tried we finally got Torrey now we might have another one. Shit i for one am excited to see if Brown is the real deal so far hes done more than Doss and Reed combined shit he's done more than Dallas Clark so far and Shaincoe too so why not?

The Ravens have always had preseason heroes on the offense who disappear entirely during the regular season. Doss, Williams, and Streeter are the current crop. We keep hearing that these guys have great hands in training camp but when they get a shot in a game they run terrible routes and drop everything. The Ravens have a tendency to hang on to guys like this too long. They are a conservative franchise overall so I guess that is to be expected. If this guy Brown is going to take off we'll see consistency soon. If he decides to disappear for the half the season after having one good game, we'll know what kind of WR he is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    And the man has won an Academy Award. Great actor in "On The Waterfront", "The Godfather", "Streetcar named Desire", and so many more. Oh sorry, that's Marlon Brando not Marlon Brown... Bc
    Don't forget Last Tango in Paris. The difference is that when this Marlon marks his territory this season, he ain't gunna use butter.