Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Goodbye Vontae Leach

Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 19m
    Vonta Leach confirms his impending departure on Twitter, saying, among other things, "My time here is up"
    A ring, multiple all-pro selections, a huge contract (for his position), and played with 2 HoFers and 2-3 other guys that are/were clearly the best at their positions. Nothing but good times.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

assuming they sign no one, and head into the season w/ 6.5m in cap space, they'll be able to carry that over to next year when we have some TOUGH decisions w/ Suggs and Ngata. Cap dollars are always scarce when you draft like the Ravens and your homegrown talent becomes expensive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    assuming they sign no one, and head into the season w/ 6.5m in cap space, they'll be able to carry that over to next year when we have some TOUGH decisions w/ Suggs and Ngata. Cap dollars are always scarce when you draft like the Ravens and your homegrown talent becomes expensive.
    Very good point about Ngata/Suggs. I see Suggs as a possible cap casualty after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Very good point about Ngata/Suggs. I see Suggs as a possible cap casualty after this season.
    Suggs cap # next year goes down and it's the last year of his contract. If he plays well I think he's safe. If the achilles injury continues to slow him down he probably goes.

How well is Ngata going to have to play this year to justify 16m in 2014? That's a huge salary.

I do expect one of them will have to go after this season.

I see them spending all of the cap number to field the best team they can and worry about next year after the season. While they have an eye towards the future, the team wants to win now.

Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This is and always was about value.

It doesn't make good fiscal sense to pay him that number next year.

I don't think this necessarily means the team is looking for other moves. Rather, it's setting the stage for next off season.
    The Ravens aren't one to waste cap space.

No reason to release him if that space won't be used.

Blog Entries

In ozzie we trust...but anyone expecting an A for B move here, don't hold your breath. It didn't happen with Boldin, it didn't happen with Pollard, or any other vet really.

Laughably, it could be releasing Leach to add JaMarcus Russell...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    The Ravens aren't one to waste cap space.

No reason to release him if that space won't be used.
    The space can be carried over next year, or used to extend deals.

I wish this meant a move was coming, but that is not Ozzie's style. We just opening minicamp, this is the time for guys to start proving whether or not we need to ponder a move between now and camp.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

One thing to think about is that the Ravens tend to stay very tight to the cap. At least, it does not 'seem' often that they have so much unused space.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Juszczyk era begins, would have loved to keep Leach around as that battering ram in short yardage situations and on the goaline but at his salary playing half or less than half of the offensive snaps wasnt gonna work.

I assume a pitta extension is coming soon

Blog Entries

I guess this is confirmation that Caldwell isn't going to use a blocking FB as heavily. I like Juice Check alot, but I think his strength at the moment is more as an H-back, catching and running with the ball. I think his blocking will need some development.

I'd say this probably improves Furstenburg's chances of making the team even more, since Pitta and Dickson are not great blockers, and the recent OTA reviews of Furstenburg was showing Sypniewski like blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash55 View Post
    I assume a pitta extension is coming soon

:word

They may use it to retain who they deem pillars of the future. Pitta and Torrey Smith I see as two of those on offense.