Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2829303132 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

well, with each passing minute, my theory of them getting him signed and in before camp starts at 2:30 holds less water...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Goodbye Vontae Leach

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Juice isn't going to be a fullback.
    I thought I'd been reading this thread fairly closely, so I'm sorry if I missed it, but in the discussion about Kyle Juszczyk, there's one name I kept expecting to see, but hasn't seemed to come up.

Anybody remember Mike Alstott?

Fullback/Halfback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 96-06. Six time Pro-bowler. Three time All-Pro selection. Superbowl Champion. It is my memory that people laughed at his Pro Bowl FB selections, saying, "But he doesn't play fulback!!" His rookie year, Alstott had 65 receptions for 557 yards - okay, they never threw to him nearly that much again, but that's mostly because his carries went up - blocking was not really a part of his game.

Alstott was a part of Tony Dungy's first draft as Tampa's head coach. In his last year before getting fired and going to Indy, Alstott had the most touchdowns he ever had in his career, 11. That year, Dungy also hired a dude named Jim Caldwell as his QB coach. Dungy, Caldwell, and the OC that year, Clyde Christensen, all went to Indy together (heck, Christensen's still there! Pagano saw him as worth keeping).

I see Juszczyk doing a fairly strong Alstott impression, but eventually developing a better blocking game (which wouldn't be too hard. Alstott really did very little blocking). For this current year, I see all the potential in the world for Caldwell to be able to effectively use both of these FBs, to the strong benefit of the roster.

EDIT: Oh, hey! camdenyard saw it when he was drafted!
    Last edited by dreamjo; 07-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Yoose (I'm Polish. I'm pretty sure that is the correct pronunciation) is a totally unproven Ivy League rookie. Leach is the best on Earth at his position. I hope Yoose (we Polackas are stubborn) ends up in the RoH, but right now he is a zero. I trust Oz can fit him in AND hide a depth player on the PS.

Visualize this:
    Flaccco drops back with Rice in the flat, Pitta across the middle and Torrey and Deonte or Jacoby going deep. I like the idea of Leach alongside Flacco as a last-ditch bodyguard. On passing downs (or running) Leach gives us effectively a 6-man O line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    I thought I'd been reading this thread fairly closely, so I'm sorry if I missed it, but in the discussion about Kyle Juszczyk, there's one name I kept expecting to see, but hasn't seemed to come up.

Anybody remember Mike Alstott?

Fullback/Halfback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 96-06. Six time Pro-bowler. Three time All-Pro selection. Superbowl Champion. It is my memory that people laughed at his Pro Bowl FB selections, saying, "But he doesn't play fulback!!" His rookie year, Alstott had 65 receptions for 557 yards - okay, they never threw to him nearly that much again, but that's mostly because his carries went up - blocking was not really a part of his game.

Alstott was a part of Tony Dungy's first draft as Tampa's head coach. In his last year before getting fired and going to Indy, Alstott had the most touchdowns he ever had in his career, 11. That year, Dungy also hired a dude named Jim Caldwell as his QB coach. Dungy, Caldwell, and the OC that year, Clyde Christensen, all went to Indy together (heck, Christensen's still there! Pagano saw him as worth keeping).

I see Juszczyk doing a fairly strong Alstott impression, but eventually developing a better blocking game (which wouldn't be too hard. Alstott really did very little blocking). For this current year, I see all the potential in the world for Caldwell to be able to effectively use both of these FBs, to the strong benefit of the roster.

EDIT: Oh, hey! camdenyard saw it when he was drafted!
    Alstott would line up at tailback and run the ball. The Ravens used to do with with McClain when they had the three headed running attack. It's possible but based on what DeCosta has said I doubt they're going to use KJ that way. Chris Cooley is the best example of a recent H-Back. This is a player who can line up in backfield as a lead blocker and pass protect, run a route or run block. You need someone who can play in space like a TE but pass protect in the backfield like a RB. Listening to DeCosta describe KJ he sure sounds like that kind of player

Okay, Moose Johnston, then? Really, I'm looking for a comparison who position was actually listed as "fullback".

FWIW....

Mike Garafolo‏@MikeGarafolo5m
    Not there yet but looking that way. RT @ConorTOrr: Vonta Leach expected to make decision tomorrow, looks like Ravens http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...a_leach_3.html
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Leach expected to re-sign with the Ravens on Friday.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...a_leach_3.html

EDIT: You beat me to it, Ravor.

Great news if it comes to fruition.

Before we cut him, I was looking forward to seeing him mentor Juszczyk, and I really think Leach being a part of that learning process will be of enormous benefit long-term.

Juice already has more skill / God-given ability in the passing game, but Leach is an absolute sledgehammer in the running game (along with being a terrific technician in that regard), so it will make Juszczyk all the better going forward, once he really DOES have to take over for Leach in a year or so.

Blog Entries

if this does come to pass, Ozzie just continues to look the wiser. Time and time again, he has refused to bid against speculation and has chosen to let the market set itself. This is a perfect example of why it works. They said Vonta wasn't worth 3 M for a FB and his age. They said "we think you are worth 2 M, plus incentives". Vonta said no thanks, I'll look elsewhere. And what does he find? 1 year, vet min deals. So in the end, Vonta returns to the exact offer we gave him to start off with.

It doesn't always end with the player returning (Ellerbe, Reed, etc), but it usually shows that Ozzie won't go nuts and commit the extra money when he knows that doesn't fit our views.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Maybe we need a thread title change...

Great news if he does re-sign, having another known quantity in the offense can only be a good thing. Welcome back Vonta!
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Some insider info for you guys... Leach was meeting with Ravens RB coach Wil Montgomery last night.
    See I told you guys

Blog Entries

Are you the poster who lives next to Montgomery and he told you that HARBs offered him
    the OC job after CAM was fired but he turned it down because he just wanted to be
    the RB coach?

It was somebody here, forget whom.