Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 LastLast

Re: Ravens are signing Brandon Stokely

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    A wise vétéran and used to WINNING. He knows where the chains are and not affraid of the middle. Can also find the soft spots with good hands. The perfect pickup.
    :word

Watching some of the preseason re-runs I was taken by how some receivers can find the open spots in a zone and get open with 3 guys around them. I think Stokley and Clark excel at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The team is thinking that Dallas Clark in 2013 is a better TE than Visanthe Shiancoe and Matt Furstenberg. And they are almost assuredly right. Of the three only Clark had any NFL catches last year. Of the three only one has proven to be an elite NFL TE (though Shiancoe was a TD machine the year Favre was there).

No one predicted or planned for Pitta's injury. And that explains the Shiancoe and Clark signings.

As for Stokley, he is being signed because he knows the system, has good hands, plays the slot, is cheap, is football smart, is a hard worker, and probably can help us game plan for Denver week 1 since he knows their system.

He also isn't going to be trying to beat people deep. He is going to be giving a quick shake, turning and catching short slants/balls on short-to-medium 3rd downs. I'd rather have a guy slightly open who can catch than a guy who is more open but has dubious hands.

Both Clark and Stokley had 45+ catches last year in the NFL. That is a significant amount. I expect them both to play for us. Clark for sure while Dickson is hurt and even in 2 TE sets when Dickson comes back (where Clark plays the WR role). Stokley as WR#3. Clark isn't even that old, imo. Stokley is getting way up there, and maybe 37 is the age where he falls apart, but it isn't like we risked/spent anything bringing him in.
    Agree with all of that. Low risk/high reward with Clark and Stokley. And Dickson's injury might be nagging so having quality veteran depth is a luxury.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    :word

Watching some of the preseason re-runs I was taken by how some receivers can find the open spots in a zone and get open with 3 guys around them. I think Stokley and Clark excel at that.
    Also, the WR corp seemed ŕ little young to me. Plus both are very familiar with pressure situations and an up tempo offense. The young guys concerned me in the hurry up. They arent needed to be stars, just peices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Also, the WR corp seemed ŕ little young to me. Plus both are very familiar with pressure situations and an up tempo offense. The young guys concerned me in the hurry up. They arent needed to be stars, just peices.
    The offense is shaping up rather nicely, IMO. A nice mix of vets and younger guys; mad speed with Smith and Jones/good hands and route running with Clark and Stokley; solid running with Rice, Pierce, and Rainey; good continuity along the O-line from last year. So now I'm just going to kick back, enjoy the preseason, and hope that the injuries are kept to a bare minimum -- like zero.

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    I also suspect Deonte is more hurt then anyone is letting on.
    That's my takeaway from this. Bad news about Deonte's injury.

Otherwise I hate this signing. It's a move backward.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    This batch of young WRs we have might end up being a sort of "lost generation."
    Anyone else notice that our WR coach has barely any background coaching WRs on his resume, before his stint in Baltimore?

There are guys out there whose specialty is coaching WRs. But we don't have one. We've never had one.

This batch of young WRs we have might end up being a sort of "lost generation."
    Not surprised. There's always next year's draft to try again.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I hate to agree, but I'm afraid you're right. This batch of young WRs we have might end up being a sort of "lost generation."
    They are reminding me of the young pitching "calvary" that the Orioles had going a couple years ago...Zach Britton, Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta, Brandon Erbe and Chris Tillman.

Well, at least Tillman has started fulfilling expectations, but the rest of those guys...not so much.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Well, the WR coach had been called into question until Torrey. Perhaps, the questions will resurface.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    We should just let our LB coaches coach the wide outs, they do seem to have a knack for turning nobodies into stars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Anyone else notice that our WR coach has barely any background coaching WRs on his resume, before his stint in Baltimore?

There are guys out there whose specialty is coaching WRs. But we don't have one. We've never had one.
    Dammit! They could've brought in.....

Ricky Proehl

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I have never been very impressed with Jim Hostler.

I think he is a major reason why receivers just don't ever develop. I feel like other teams find decent receivers all over the place, but the Ravens have drafted and developed what...one guy (Torrey)? Two if you count Clayton.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.