Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Suggs and Guns

Re: Suggs and Guns

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I know you've fired this weapons more than once so you'll appreciate this .....

Attachment 1218
    LOL

Yeah basically the same... I'm not for or against gun control. I think there is a reasonable median to be strucked. Law to can keep guns out of the hands of people who would do harm and responible adults, who hurt or collect. What that law is? I leave to those more intelligent than myself.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    LOL

Yeah basically the same... I'm not for or against gun control. I think there is a reasonable median to be strucked. Law to can keep guns out of the hands of people who would do harm and responible adults, who hurt or collect. What that law is? I leave to those more intelligent than myself.
    There is no more intelligent people to decide that than those who own guns and those want to control them. Are you a gun owner Dade?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    There is no more intelligent people to decide that than those who own guns and those want to control them. Are you a gun owner Dade?
    No I'm not. Probably never will. I've fired many weapons for training and on deployments and currently have to carry a 9MM on duty at work in the Command Center. Just don't see a reason to have one in my personal life.

I know many say that if they had a gun and was there in CT, they would've taken the guy out. But...I don't know...I'm a believer that until your in an extreme situation you don't know how your react. I know I thought a certain way before my first deployment. Man, was my mind changed fast.

When the Congressman was shot in AZ, there was someone in the crowd with a weapon. He said he didn't fire because he got scared and froze.

The invention of the gun has made taking a human life all too easy. It's one of the biggest responsibilites an adult can have. So I'm all for making it more difficult for people seeking to kill others to obtain a gun, legally or otherwise. However I believe in the Constitution and the right to bear arms. If you want to hunt or collect fire arms, more power to you. I collect katanas, and those are dangerous weapons. I guess there is no simple answer. In the wake of all this, I'm going to start paying more attention to it. Maybe one day I can effort some positive change in my own way.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

A katana is certainly something I'd want at some point, obviously for no practical reason.

any tips? A REAL japanese katana is obvioulsly the tp of hte mountan. any decent bargains to be had out there with at least some utilitarian value if the zombie apocolypse ever comes? obviously a full tang is a starting point...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    A katana is certainly something I'd want at some point, obviously for no practical reason.

any tips? A REAL japanese katana is obvioulsly the tp of hte mountan. any decent bargains to be had out there with at least some utilitarian value if the zombie apocolypse ever comes? obviously a full tang is a starting point...
    Getting a traditional katana is VERY expensive. I own only one. Picked it up during a trip to Yokota. Real katanas are made from Tamahagane (Japanese steel).

Most other collectors I know opt to have their's specially made. This can take anywhere from 5-6 weeks to 3-4 months. Depending on the length of blade you want, how much density you want (how many times the metal is folded), and if you want it inscribed. I suggest not going with this until your more familiar with katanas. As its an easy way to get ripped off.

A good first katana is one maded of high carbon steel. Those keep their edge longer. A decent blade length is 20-24 inches. Also storage is big. Katanas should ALWAYS be stored horizontally, curved down. This maintains the blade. Routine maintainece of the blade includes oiling and powdering it.

A good site with good prices is http://www.heavenlyswords.com/

I have my eyes on their Masamune Sword. A 66 inch long blade thats going for $220. Gotta talk the wife into that one.

Thank You. Precisely what I was looking for. A traditional Katana would nto be inmy near future, but I see no point in buying a cheapie knockoff either. Horizontally and curve down is probably the ONLY postiion any Katana I would ever own would be stored, as it would essentially be a "display piece" I always thought a nice katana and(whatever they call the smaller one) 2 piece set on a wooden rack was a nice decorative touch with a bit of emergency value. Heck, it worked for the kid in Charles Village.

Certainly a lower pricepoint then I was expecting after looking at that site for only a minute... I expected that was the "junk" price range. I suppose that range CAN BE the junk price range, but as you show does not have to be.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 12-15-2012 at 03:15 PM.

IIRC, the guy who was carrying at the Gabby Giffords shooting helped tackle the shooter. I believe he didn't shoot because he didn't have a clear background.

Edit: he wasn't one of the guys who subdued the shooter, but I'd hardly call him afraid either ....

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-01-11/news/27086997_1_hero-giffords-arizona-killer

"I was ready to end his life," Joe Zamudio said. "I had my hand on the butt of my gun. If they hadn't grabbed him and he was still moving, I would have shot him."

Without hesitation?

"Damn right," said Zamudio. "This is my country, this is my town."

Zamudio, 24, spoke out three days after Jared Lee Loughner shot and wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and massacred six other people outside a Tucson supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Thank You. Precisely what I was looking for. A traditional Katana would nto be inmy near future, but I see no point in buying a cheapie knockoff either. Horizontally and curve down is probably the ONLY postiion any Katana I would ever own would be stored, as it would essentially be a "display piece" I always thought a nice katana and(whatever they call the smaller one) 2 piece set on a wooden rack was a nice decorative touch with a bit of emergency value. Heck, it worked for the kid in Charles Village.
    Yeah thats why I have mine. Decorative items that also double as a good conversation topic for guests. I have 11 but only 6 on display in the living room and rotate them out depending on the season.

If I ever have a daughter, I can see myself polishing a katana while her date shows up. LOL