Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Who will win the battle for the title of Ray Rice's backup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That's kinda what I was getting at; especially with RR's contract uncertainty. Best case scenario would be to keep two or three of these guys around, depending on camp performance.
    im just not sure of likelihood with the WR and DB positions also being so deep. Probably easier to find talent in the future at RB than WR or DB, especially with it being a passing league.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Please don't burn me at the steak (pun intended on July 4th). Is it remotely possible that AAllen could temporarily (for a short period of time) back-up fullback too? Personally, I'd like to see Pierce win the 2nd spot, but I'm happy that we have three young RBs behind RR... Bc
    To be honest, I don't see any situation where they would use Allen as a FB. In college, he could be because the LB's he would block against were smaller, weaker, and slower. In the NFL, there are 250 pound LB's that are built like mac trucks and can run with WR's. Allen recently said he toned up his body to 230, which is a great weight for a bruising RB; however, he is not built to be an NFL FB. In addition, we have the highest paid FB in the NFL so I really can't see why we wouldn't use him.

With that said, I can see an instance where maybe Rice/Pierce and Allen could be on the field at the same time. It just wouldn't be due to a FB role. Normally they would use a blocking TE, or H-Back in that situation. Maybe in a shotgun formation, both backs could be next to Joe with 3 WR's out wide.
    Last edited by Iscull; 07-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Can someone confirm that we have usually carried 4 RB's per year on the roster? I feel like we have always had 4. Matt Lawrence used to be that 4th RB guy the past couple of years switching between PS and IR, so maybe Damien Berry fills his role. If he out performs that role, then maybe he hits the IR/"Redshirt Year".

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    im just not sure of likelihood with the WR and DB positions also being so deep. Probably easier to find talent in the future at RB than WR or DB, especially with it being a passing league.
    Agreed. Not to mention the decrease in the value of a RB over the past few years.

Blog Entries

Pierce is a lock to make the team. And there is always the chance that they bring in a vet as well. Ozzie said after the 2001 season that he never wanted to go into a season without a solid vet at #2 RB. But more than likely, berry and allen will fight for the final spot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    To be honest, I don't see any situation where they would use Allen as a FB. In college, he could be because the LB's he would block against were smaller, weaker, and slower. In the NFL, there are 250 pound LB's that are built like mac trucks and can run with WR's. Allen recently said he toned up his body to 230, which is a great weight for a bruising RB; however, he is not built to be an NFL FB. In addition, we have the highest paid FB in the NFL so I really can't see why we wouldn't use him.

With that said, I can see an instance where maybe Rice/Pierce and Allen could be on the field at the same time. It just wouldn't be due to a FB role. Normally they would use a blocking TE, or H-Back in that situation. Maybe in a shotgun formation, both backs could be next to Joe with 3 WR's out wide.
    Iman, fair enough... Bc