Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    You could even argue that Flacco accounted for all 34- he may not have kicked the fg's but it was his play that got us in position to make them.
    Not to mention took 11 minutes off the clock. That was huge.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Re: One of the Dumbest Talking Points Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This is hardly the dumbest talking point ever.

If Jacoby got the MVP, I wouldn't have been shocked in the least. I too think Joe deserved it but feeling Jacoby deserved the award is certainly a debatable point.

Take a look at past MVP and there's an obvious case to made that the MVP will sometimes go to a support player even when the QB has a decent to good game.
    What's dumb about it isn't that Jacoby got so much credit, but that they act like Flacco, who had the best game by a quarterback since 1996, didn't deserve the award or that he only got it since he's the quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    It is hard to say Flacco accounted for the 7 Jacoby scored to open the 2nd half.
    Chalk that one down as a brain fart on my part!

Joe had a great game, not as flashy as the Denver game, but he made great throws in tight places. IIRC Jacoby muffed (then recovered) a punt or KO, and dropped an easy catch. And not to take anything away from his touchdown play, but that was another punt type catch.
    A couple subtle differences that tipped the scales in Flacco's favor.

Blog Entries

One play that isnt talked about that was BIG was on one of the kickoff returns during the 3rd quarter in which Walker hit Jones with his helmut on the football and held on to the ball after being helicoptered on the hit and amazingly still held onto that ball. I doubt many players could of held onto that ball.

Blog Entries

And if Boldin doesn't drop Flacco's perfect 35 yard pass to Boldin towards the end of the 3rd quarter, which hit him so perfectly in stride he would've gotten 15+ YAC, then Flacvo probably gets 4 or 5 touchdowns and it's a blowout the whole game through.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    What's dumb about it isn't that Jacoby got so much credit, but that they act like Flacco, who had the best game by a quarterback since 1996, didn't deserve the award or that he only got it since he's the quarterback.
    Who's been saying that? I totally disagree from what I've heard. I've heard people say that they think Jones or Boldin could have won it or maybe they say one of them should have won it. Either way though, no one's dissing Flacco...every one of them caveats it with how great a game Flacco had.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I think that when a WR wins Super Bowl MVP, they usually get 10-15 catches. If I remember correctly, J Jones only had 2 catches. Despite his big plays, he would have had to have more consistant involvement in the game to get the award. It's not like in baseball where the player who scores the go ahead usually gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Link?

Who's saying this?!?!

Blog Entries

It's not about dissing Flacco; some folks are a little sensitive there. It's about recognizing the contribution JJ had in that game. You could argue MVP either way but both Joe and Jacoby had tremendous games.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

For me the tie breaker was the busted play, scramble to the sideline, and still completing the pass to Boldin. That something out of nothing was a thing of beauty.

Well, Flacco was definitely the MVP of the entire post season.