Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Shift in Offensive Philosophies?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Not really relevant years after the fact, but the real reason we "pulled in the reins" after the Vikings game was that Flacco sustained a deep thigh bruise against the Vikings and played with it the rest of the year.

It was never on the injury reports or in the news, but it's been confirmed by multiple sources since then. Flacco could barely move for most of the rest of the 09 season and his mechanics were pretty bad being unable to fully drive throws with his legs.

Actually, the regression in Joe's throwing mechanics was still present a little bit as late as the earlier part of the 2010 season. Go back and watch say for example the first Cincinnati game, Joe was continuously throwing inaccurately off his back foot. I think the 09 thigh injury really took a while for him to come all the way back from. For a current comparison, just look at Haloti, who was rendered ineffective for several months last year with a deep thigh bruise and didn't really get all the way over it until fairly recently.
    You mean to tell me he didnt run the media and tell them or wrap his leg in a bright color like the toughest qb ever ben roethlisberger? He just played through pain and was still very good? That doesnt sound right at all...
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Every QB suffers from drops. Our 2011 "drops" problem is greatly exaggerated around here; people act like we were by far the worst team in the league in drops, which is nonsense. We were ranked poorly, 7th worst if I recall, but 6 less drops and we would have been ranked in the top 10 best (I forgot exact ranking, maybe tied for 8th etc). And 6 less drops raises our 2011 completion percentage about 1 percentage point only.

I wouldn't argue against the claim that our drops, in general, occur at more crucial times and are more damaging (based somewhat on the fact that our style and division tends to produce closer contests), but in terms of shear numbers and the effect they had on our completion percentage, they aren't as bad as some people consistently claim.
    You really answered your own questions. When your offense differs from those of other quality teams so much, those drops matter a lot more.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'll believe it when I see it. That being said, I can envision a more efficient offense because of the weapons we now possess, even if it doesn't mean a major shift in philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Not really relevant years after the fact, but the real reason we "pulled in the reins" after the Vikings game was that Flacco sustained a deep thigh bruise against the Vikings and played with it the rest of the year.

It was never on the injury reports or in the news, but it's been confirmed by multiple sources since then. Flacco could barely move for most of the rest of the 09 season and his mechanics were pretty bad being unable to fully drive throws with his legs.

Actually, the regression in Joe's throwing mechanics was still present a little bit as late as the earlier part of the 2010 season. Go back and watch say for example the first Cincinnati game, Joe was continuously throwing inaccurately off his back foot. I think the 09 thigh injury really took a while for him to come all the way back from. For a current comparison, just look at Haloti, who was rendered ineffective for several months last year with a deep thigh bruise and didn't really get all the way over it until fairly recently.
    I certainly agree with that, but we certainly could have returned to it some last year.

Blog Entries

Great article and I'm excited about the season. But I can't help but recall Harbs saying 'that's how you win football games, smash mouth, and convert third downs'. If he keeps the ball in the air with a lead, I'll be very surprised

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I'll believe this when i see it, they said the same thing last season, then invested in a 11mil fullback, we still have those same pieces. I still suspect this to be a run first team, but there will be some differences I see Joe finally taking over the O this season, Cam won't give up full control, but we will see some of Caldwell's influence on Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You really answered your own questions. When your offense differs from those of other quality teams so much, those drops matter a lot more.
    Not in terms of completion percentage (or passing stats), which was the point.

Great thread...and great viewpoints by all. When you really think about this topic though we have to take our offensive history and history of our teams success into account...I am sure our coaches and front office do. I have been a PSL holder since day 1 and live and die by how our Ravens do. With that said I personally have been very critical of Cam...feel like we have at least most of the pieces in place to make a run at it and for the last four years we have...but in heartbreaking fashion we come up short. With that said we all need to take a step back and look at the success we have had recently even though we haven't won the Super Bowl, in comparison to the rest of the league, we are a very successful franchise. Does it hurt like hell not to win the Super Bowl, you bet...but our philosophy of how football should be played works better than 90% of the other teams in the NFL. Now, we have to ask ourselves, what "tweaks" do we need to get us over the hump. Hopefully, our defense, although slightly aging in respect to the leadership roles (Ray and Ed...other than that we are young) we have to assume "holds tight" (even without Suggs...ouch...). That means what has to be done is a slight improvement to the offense to get us over the hump. A major change where we see Flacco chucking the ball everywhere via Rogers or Brady style would be a paradigm shift in our team philosophy and dangerous in my opinion (this would take a total offense philosophy change effecting blocking schemes...route running...and an overhaul in the playbook in general)...we would be massively changing a system that has got us to 2 AFC championship games and the playoffs in the last 4 years. We have arguably the best fullback and runningback in the league. To not lean on your best position players and the defense in my opinion, for lack of a better word, is "stupid." (Our own players said this last year when we lost lost, when we shouldn't have, and Rice didn't touch the ball nearly enough). Back to the point, what needs to change in our offensive philosophy to get us over the hump? We need a slightly more effective passing game. We do not need the "lets throw it everywhere philosophy that Green Bay and the Patriots use (although effectively). My thinking is we brought in Jones to stretch the field along with Torey. Put Boldin in the slot. Now we have safeties back and corners jamming or playing 10 yards off the ball. Back to my point...lean on your best players. Leach and Rice now have room to roam...bring the safeties in the box...and we burn you with our speed WR speed. We are close...we don't need a total offense philosophy change...look at our success (although it hurts like hell when we get close and lose), what we need is a slightly more balanced offense with speed that keeps opposing defenses on their toes and defensive coordinators up late at night wondering "how in the hell do I stop this offense." Looking forward to the year...we have the pieces in place...they just need to come together and gel...GO RAVENS

Blog Entries

One poster said on another board years ago, Cam has always been the coach to play a game of not tryna lose versus playing the game to win, they said he's been that way since college coaching days. He's not a bad coach, his system and his way of doing things is just old, he doesn't play to the strength of his unit, but rather constantly tries to fit a square peg in a round hole with little to no success, when teams defensives adjust to this offensive game plan, Cam still tries to stick with the original game plan to no success. Thats why no matter what teams like N.E defenses or the colts defenses (during the manning era) rank they find a way to beat our offense because he just doesn't make those adjustments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    One poster said on another board years ago, Cam has always been the coach to play a game of not tryna lose versus playing the game to win, they said he's been that way since college coaching days. He's not a bad coach, his system and his way of doing things is just old, he doesn't play to the strength of his unit, but rather constantly tries to fit a square peg in a round hole with little to no success, when teams defensives adjust to this offensive game plan, Cam still tries to stick with the original game plan to no success. Thats why no matter what teams like N.E defenses or the colts defenses (during the manning era) rank they find a way to beat our offense because he just doesn't make those adjustments.
    :word

That's why come playoff time his offenses always under achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    :word

That's why come playoff time his offenses always under achieve.
    Yep, underachieved putting up 400 yds of offense and (should have been) 27 points on the road in the AFCC game last year.

NE defense sure found a way to beat us, or did they?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jd345 View Post
    Great thread...and great viewpoints by all. When you really think about this topic though we have to take our offensive history and history of our teams success into account...I am sure our coaches and front office do. I have been a PSL holder since day 1 and live and die by how our Ravens do. With that said I personally have been very critical of Cam...feel like we have at least most of the pieces in place to make a run at it and for the last four years we have...but in heartbreaking fashion we come up short. With that said we all need to take a step back and look at the success we have had recently even though we haven't won the Super Bowl, in comparison to the rest of the league, we are a very successful franchise. Does it hurt like hell not to win the Super Bowl, you bet...but our philosophy of how football should be played works better than 90% of the other teams in the NFL. Now, we have to ask ourselves, what "tweaks" do we need to get us over the hump. Hopefully, our defense, although slightly aging in respect to the leadership roles (Ray and Ed...other than that we are young) we have to assume "holds tight" (even without Suggs...ouch...). That means what has to be done is a slight improvement to the offense to get us over the hump. A major change where we see Flacco chucking the ball everywhere via Rogers or Brady style would be a paradigm shift in our team philosophy and dangerous in my opinion (this would take a total offense philosophy change effecting blocking schemes...route running...and an overhaul in the playbook in general)...we would be massively changing a system that has got us to 2 AFC championship games and the playoffs in the last 4 years. We have arguably the best fullback and runningback in the league. To not lean on your best position players and the defense in my opinion, for lack of a better word, is "stupid." (Our own players said this last year when we lost lost, when we shouldn't have, and Rice didn't touch the ball nearly enough). Back to the point, what needs to change in our offensive philosophy to get us over the hump? We need a slightly more effective passing game. We do not need the "lets throw it everywhere philosophy that Green Bay and the Patriots use (although effectively). My thinking is we brought in Jones to stretch the field along with Torey. Put Boldin in the slot. Now we have safeties back and corners jamming or playing 10 yards off the ball. Back to my point...lean on your best players. Leach and Rice now have room to roam...bring the safeties in the box...and we burn you with our speed WR speed. We are close...we don't need a total offense philosophy change...look at our success (although it hurts like hell when we get close and lose), what we need is a slightly more balanced offense with speed that keeps opposing defenses on their toes and defensive coordinators up late at night wondering "how in the hell do I stop this offense." Looking forward to the year...we have the pieces in place...they just need to come together and gel...GO RAVENS
    good post, welcome to the board

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!