Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New black quarterbacks club

Ravens' quarterback Steve McNair and a network of former and current NFL QBs including Vince Young (Titans) and Jason Campbell (Redskins), have joined forces to announce the formation of The Black Quarterback Club (BQC). "

I predict this announcement will be met by most people with a reaction that will be somewhere between "That's nice" and a shrug.

Some may take this as an open invitation to form other clubs populated by non-black quarterbacks. Somehow i suspect that one will trigger reactions that are a bit less lukewarm. What do YOU think?

http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/p...le_02880.shtml
    Last edited by Art-Florida; 06-19-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled title
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

2. Re: New black quarterbacks club

Let the white man do something like that in today's age and watch what happens. This is NOT meant to be a racist statement by any means, just a society-ingrained opinion. Just to see what it looks like, let's see the other side of that token. Brett Favre, Kyle Boller, and Brady Quinn announce the formation of the White Quarterback's Club. Look's funny, doesn't it.

Black, white, brown, yellow, pink, red, or blue. This should be totally irrelevant.

What is the point of having ANY organization, club, business or whatever for just one color/race of people. Jeez, when will people of ALL colors/races open their eyes to what is still happening.

Let there be just two races, the human race and the race to the Super Bowl!

Peace,
    Raven Freak

GOOOO RAVENS!!!!!

Re: New black quarterbacks club

I think the problem here is that there's a stereotype that says that black players couldn't play QB.

By making this black QB's club, to some extent its recognizing that and trying to actively combat it in some way.

Instead of a black QBs club, why not just do something more low key? Or make it a secret society that i'm not aware of?

As it is it just seems to recognize a difference between black and white QBs. I'd rather see them just naturally show solidarity like they had been and let their play speak for itself on the field

We are never going to progress in this society until we stop having groups that segregate based on race whether it is black or white. Nothing good can come out of this group.

This is a stupid thread! :grbac: Who really gives a shit! Guess what...last year there was a white linebacker drafted......that sounds stupid huh. I bleed purple...see purple...thats is it NO BLACK NO WHITE!!!!!!!!!!
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

No reason why members of a historically oppressed minority shouldn't have a club of like minded professionals. It's perfectly commonplace in other lines of work.

Art, you're exactly right. "That's nice," and a shrug.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

This wouldn't be a club of "like minded professionals". It's a club of "like skin color professionals".

If you are tolerant of the United Negro College Fund, Black Entertainment Television, Miss Black America - you shouldn't have a problem with a Black QB Club either.

Why shouldn't I be tolerant of the United Negro College Fund, Black Entertainment Television, or Miss Black America?

White students are overwhelmingly represented at colleges, white characters are overwhelmingly represented on tv, and white contestants are (forgive me guessing here, haven't seen many) well represented in beauty pageants. I don't feel like I'm losing anything because of the existence of institutions serving minority populations.

Why shouldn't I be tolerant of minority organizations of attorneys, or accountants, or engineers? It doesn't bother *me*. I'm just a regular white guy, and regular tv, beauty pageants and college educations are already there for me, if I want them.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenFreak23 View Post
    Just to see what it looks like, let's see the other side of that token. Brett Favre, Kyle Boller, and Brady Quinn announce the formation of the White Quarterback's Club. Look's funny, doesn't it.
    I think a more valid comparison would be the White Cornerback's Club. They're an oppressed minority.

This isn't a sports issue, it's a social issue. As long as people and groups continue to direct our focus onto racial divides, we will continue to be racially divided.
    Everyone will recognize that black communities, families, and children in most places need all the support they can get, but race-based organizations do as much harm as they do good. By excluding kids of other races this is by definition a racist organization. Call it the "inner city quarterbacks" club or something. 99% of the kids will be black anyhow, they just won't be stigmatized with the knowledge that "I'm only allowed here because I'm black".

Kaybe Augusta should stop letting Blacks in and let Phil and the field fight it out with Tiger and Vijay out of the way. I wonder how the media would react to that? Seems to me not a very different of a situation, and exactly what these "Black QB's" grandfathes were fighting against, Either that or allow Charlie Frye into the club. Which is it?
    Pure one sided PC-BS. Racism flipped like a light switch in 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Racism flipped like a light switch in 30 years.
    I hear this. But I look around at Baltimore and its suburbs, the people who live and work here, and I don't see it.

Sorry.

I know from previous threads I'm swimming against the current here, and I'm not likely changing any minds. Oh well.

:2c:
    Festivus