Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Thread

Re: 2017 NHL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    They may be getting more production for their 3rd line, but they're getting less from their top 6. Is that a bad thing? Not at all, but there's definitely a balance. This may be the first year in a while that Ovi doesn't go 50+, Kunetsov's production fell off a bit.
    Nobody has fallen off, it's been spread between the lines, which was their issue last year. That dispersement is something Trotz talked about at the end of last season and is deliberate this season.

And I'll clean out my retirement account right now and make a bet with you that Ovie finishes with 50+. He's only four off the league lead and sitting very comfortably at 26.

For years the rap (unjustifiably, IMO, perpetuated by asshats like Mike Millbury) on Ovie has been that he was a "me" guy, so I don't think it's any issue at all if his scoring goes done slightly. His PT is down notably, and intentionally, so I expect his scoring will be, too. Considering that the Caps' problem in past years has been over-reliance on the first two lines, I actually think this is a positive sign.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Nobody has fallen off, it's been spread between the lines, which was their issue last year. That dispersement is something Trotz talked about at the end of last season and is deliberate this season.

And I'll clean out my retirement account right now and make a bet with you that Ovie finishes with 50+. He's only four off the league lead and sitting very comfortably at 26.
    Kunetzov's production has fallen off. As has the production of the 1st line. I acknowledged there's more balance. I didn't say that was a bad thing. I'm just saying that the argument that their 3rd line is producing more = them a better team isn't a good one when their 1st line is producing less.

26 in 54. You think he's going to have basically a goal per game pace for the rest of the season? That's quite the bump from the 0.48 goal per game pace he's had all season, but hey I'll take that bet.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I'm not saying because they win the President's Trophy they should win the cup, but they had a very very dominant regular season (that's the subjective part beyond winning the presidents trophy).

I'm speaking to the amount of choke jobs they have when they have very very good regular season teams.

They were very good last year. They are very good this year. You're exaggerating their improvement.

I hate when people disagree and the rebuttal is "you must not following the league closely". No I simply disagree with you that they're better than last year. You're taking that as if I'm saying they're worst. They're a similar team to last year.

They may be getting more production for their 3rd line, but they're getting less from their top 6. Is that a bad thing? Not at all, but there's definitely a balance. This may be the first year in a while that Ovi doesn't go 50+, Kunetsov's production fell off a bit.

I'm not saying that's bad. Pittsburgh showed the value of 3 scoring lines last year. But does that make them better this year? I'm not sure it does. But hey I should probably follow the league more closely. :grbac:
    Thank you for confirming that you do not follow the league or the Caps all that closely. If you followed it closely you would know that the Caps have significantly cut down the number of minutes being played by the top line to keep them fresh. You would also know that the Ovie, Oshie and Backstrom are averaging more pts per game this year than last year while playing almost 2m less per game.

Anyone who followed hockey closely would also know that replacing cokehead Mike Richards who had been on the street for the first half of last year with Eller is a huge upgrade at 3C.

But hey I guess you follow it closely. If following it closely means looking up Ovies goals per game this year vs last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    For years the rap (unjustifiably, IMO, perpetuated by asshats like Mike Millbury) on Ovie has been that he was a "me" guy, so I don't think it's any issue at all if his scoring goes done slightly. His PT is down notably, and intentionally, so I expect his scoring will be, too. Considering that the Caps' problem in past years has been over-reliance on the first two lines, I actually think this is a positive sign.
    I don't think Ovie had that rap wide-spread. I think people have always said he's just a goal scorer and not a set up guy, but that's not a bad thing in any way, shape or form.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

The Caps are the NHL team that always blows it in the playoffs. I dont think they're any better than last years team.

They're on fire lately though. Best team in the league since mid-December.
    GWNR, Red Green says, "Keep your stick on the ice!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4IL5uUDcfg

... Bc

I think this is the year the Caps break the curse and make the finals...of course I said that last year and will keep saying it until they do and I look smart. Too much talent on that team plus a great coaching staff, at some point they'll break through. Kuznetsov is starting to heat up more recently, Ovie is showing he's more than just a scorer, and Holtby may be taking the title of best goalie in the world over.

As for us GWNR, I think this will be the year the Sens finally beat the Leafs in the playoffs (our version of the Steelers). Gotta put those demons to rest as well!

Caps are scoring more goals per game this year while giving up less. 3.33 gpg this year vs 3.07 last year. Giving up 2.1 gpg vs 2.3gpg last year. Less minutes across the board. Ovie has 3 more assists this year compared to all of last year.

They obviously have to win in the playoffs but the team is better constructed this year. Kuzy can't disappear this year like he did last year. The Caps also need a little luck. The Caps have always run into the goalie that is on fire. Murray played out of his mind against the Caps last year.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Thank you for confirming that you do not follow the league or the Caps all that closely. If you followed it closely you would know that the Caps have significantly cut down the number of minutes being played by the top line to keep them fresh. You would also know that the Ovie, Oshie and Backstrom are averaging more pts per game this year than last year while playing almost 2m less per game.

Anyone who followed hockey closely would also know that replacing cokehead Mike Richards who had been on the street for the first half of last year with Eller is a huge upgrade at 3C.

But hey I guess you follow it closely. If following it closely means looking up Ovies goals per game this year vs last year.
    Right because league followers know the average ice time of every team

You brought up Kunny, I said his production is falling off. His points per game is less. Now you're bring up their 1st line?

If you think the Caps are that much better by adding Lars Eller over Mike Richards (Wasn't Mike Richards their 4C in the playoffs) than you're confirming that your overrating the level of improvement.

But hey see you in April when you fizz out in the playoffs again!
    - Ray Lewis

Caps are scoring more goals per game this year while giving up less. 3.33 gpg this year vs 3.07 last year. Giving up 2.1 gpg vs 2.3gpg last year. Less minutes across the board. Ovie has 3 more assists this year compared to all of last year.

They obviously have to win in the playoffs but the team is better constructed this year. Kuzy can't disappear this year like he did last year. The Caps also need a little luck. The Caps have always run into the goalie that is on fire. Murray played out of his mind against the Caps last year.
    Sounds like you agree with my entire god damn point?

The "you don't follow the league obviously" argument is hilarious.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco's_Haircut View Post

As for us GWNR, I think this will be the year the Sens finally beat the Leafs in the playoffs (our version of the Steelers). Gotta put those demons to rest as well!
    The 2000's were brutal.

The Sens will never see a Cup with Eugene Melnyk as the owner. Any owner that puts in an internal budget is purposely not spending as much on the team.

Wait till Karlsson walks. The fan base will implode. It sucks, but I dont think they'll last in Ottawa. The onyl chance they have to win is if they get a bunch of really good rookies to go with some vets in their prime to make the money work.

We'll never invest properly in the bottom 6 becuase of the budget. Stone is a threat to walk too given two of the worst contracts in the league with Pheanuf and Ryan eating up a massive chunk of the budget.
    - Ray Lewis

The personal shots are not needed. If you stopped and read what he's saying, there's a lot of agreement between you two.