Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Daunte Culpepper are the Ravens interested?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    WTF are you talking about HW? When did Moss miss half the season with the vikes? The most games he ever missed was 3.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12576
    The year Pepp put up MVP type numbers was the year Moss missed 3 games. If I recall, Moss didn't get a lot of PT in the games he supposedly started in. I believe that was the year that Nate Burleson broke out and had over 1,000 yards.

I know it says that Moss missed only 3 games, but for a good portion of the season he was having injury problems, attitude problems, and sat out a good bit even though he "started" 13 games. To Culpepper's credit, he played GREAT without Moss that season. However, he hasn't experienced that type of success for 2 years.

I personally think that Culpepper can still be a good QB. People have given him too hard of a time over the last few years. He started out poorly in 2005, suffered a devastating knee injury, and came back too early in 2006. I wouldn't write him off yet. In fact, I'd be happy to see tha Ravens pick him up to succeed McNair if the price is right.

The guy may not be very intelligent, but if he can fix that knee up, retain much of his physicality, and return to form, I like his chances to be one hell of a QB once again. Get a good running game around him and a solid group of receivers, and I think you have a pro bowler.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No, No

The year Pepp put up MVP type numbers was the year Moss missed 3 games. If I recall, Moss didn't get a lot of PT in the games he supposedly started in. I believe that was the year that Nate Burleson broke out and had over 1,000 yards.
    I remember he was injured but he didnt miss half the season. Even when he came back from injury that year he was 4 for 40 with a TD. the Point is he didnt miss half the season. He just hasnt played the same since 2003.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

culpepper is a great fantasty football QB. That said, he turns the ball over like Peter Angelos micromanages.

That kind of QB simply can't fit on this team very well unless the team would risk hanging the defense out to dry a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    culpepper is a great fantasty football QB. That said, he turns the ball over like Peter Angelos micromanages.

That kind of QB simply can't fit on this team very well unless the team would risk hanging the defense out to dry a bunch.
    He has been an atrocious fantasy QB the past couple of years. I don't know how many teams he ruined with that frozen turd season he dropped after his MVP year. Bill Simmons even wrote a column called Daunte's Inferno whose premise was an AA style meeting of fantasy owners who drafted Culpepper the previous 2 years.

Culpepper is like this: He is a big armed downfield passer not a three step drop, make a quick read, accurate passer. In Miami they tried to make him into a west coast style QB. They put a round peg into a square hole.

His injury was a factor as well. Pep was never very mobile but because he was built like a LB he was able to shake off smaller defenders and play smashmouth QB on short yardage situations. Because of his injury he lost a bunch of weight and a good chunk of the mobility he had.

I don't think he will ever reach his MVP heights again, but I do think he can still be a decent QB provided he is in the right system. It just won't happen here since we don't run the vertical offense he needs to thrive.

Correct, I should have said "was"

I was trying to emphasize the different between good fantasy players and actual good players. If Pepper throws four touchdowns and turns the ball over 3 times, that's still a ton of fantasy points. Probably not going to do so well in the game.

John Clayton stated on ESPN radio today that Culpepper will be a Raven after he is cut because no team will trade a pick and take on his salary. After he is cut the Ravens a free to sign him to a cap friendly deal. He stated that there is a great deal of mutual admiration between him and Brian

Len Pasquerelli reported on ESPN NEws this morning he will be released and there are 3 teams interested Jacksonville and Baltimore and someone else, i just about blacked out when I heard Baltimore. So this at least somewhat supports John Clayton's statement.

If this is true you have to figure McNair and Smith are locks to stay and Boller will be traded. No way we keep all 4. Then Olsen / Finnerty are battling for practice squad.

I have no problem with Culpepper sitting behind McNair for a year learning the system. If the price is right it is low risk / high reward.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    If this is true you have to figure McNair and Smith are locks to stay and Boller will be traded. No way we keep all 4. Then Olsen / Finnerty are battling for practice squad.

I have no problem with Culpepper sitting behind McNair for a year learning the system. If the price is right it is low risk / high reward.
    Agreed.

The one downside is, we won't be able to get full value for Boller. Once we have all 3 of those qb's on the roster - McNair, Boller, Culpepper - trading partners would obviously know we are desperate to get rid of Boller.

I still suspect it won't happen. This is not the time of year for that kind of wheeling and dealing, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

The one downside is, we won't be able to get full value for Boller. Once we have all 3 of those qb's on the roster - McNair, Boller, Culpepper - trading partners would obviously know we are desperate to get rid of Boller.

I still suspect it won't happen. This is not the time of year for that kind of wheeling and dealing, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Full Value? For Boller? :insane:

We never got full value out of kyle why should we expect anything different if pep was to come on board.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Do we really need another QB?
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    Full Value? For Boller? :insane:

We never got full value out of kyle why should we expect anything different if pep was to come on board.
    He is a quality backup quarterback.

That is a fact.

For many teams, backup quarterback is a position of need. For us, it isn't.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.