Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: How did we do?

FWIW, after suffering through many years of SunSpot forum post-draft evaluations and discussions, this thread renews my faith in the intelligence and perspective of many Ravens fans. Plus, it's really pleasant to read and consider differences of opinion without a bunch of personal "you haven't got a clue" crap. Thanks to all for providing some interesting comments.

I join the "too early to judge the draft" crowd. If this were tennis, you could judge an individual player's ability. I look to who we already have on the roster and where they are in the development stage, any FA's that are picked up before the season and where "holes" may be when the season starts. I also factor in the roster for the next three years, since if we have somebody on the roster now who can perform over two years and a 2012-draft player steps in then to fill a hole or upgrade, then it was a good draft; even if he is inactive for most of his first year.

The Ravens know their pieces and who they can target in the FA period. When Todd Heap was drafted, how many people complained that they did not fill a need? I will look back on this draft later; unless somebody is a HR this year.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    seems like some people here are complaining for the sake of it.
    It's a Baltimore tradition.

4. Re: How did we do?

I've never understood these draft grades? Not one player has played an NFL down... Not sure how you can grade them?

As for the Ravens, I like the personnel they got. Three, maybe four guys contribute this year. This safety from SC St. Is intriguing. His story reminds me a little bit of Webbie's. Started at a major D1 school and had discipline issues then wound up at at a smaller college. The Ravens seem pretty high on him.

We don't know about Upshaw who was originally rated in the top 15 but dropped all the way down to #35 in the second largely because he has short arms
    This is a silly statement. Did his arms shrink?

Overall, this was an "eh" draft at least from the excitement point of view. I agree with other posts that it was "businesslike" and "nuts and bolts" and for depth. Let's face it, the Ravens are not the Browns, we didn't need to rebuild our team. I continue to be reminded that Ozzie is pulling the levers here with assistance from DeCosta and a bunch of smart guys who have had solid success. I'm willing to give it time before issuing a "grade".

I am intrigued by Streeter. A 6'5" guy with 4.40 speed, my first thought was "Randy Moss".

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    I've never understood these draft grades? Not one player has played an NFL down... Not sure how you can grade them?

As for the Ravens, I like the personnel they got. Three, maybe four guys contribute this year. This safety from SC St. Is intriguing. His story reminds me a little bit of Webbie's. Started at a major D1 school and had discipline issues then wound up at at a smaller college. The Ravens seem pretty high on him.
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    This is a silly statement. Did his arms shrink?

Overall, this was an "eh" draft at least from the excitement point of view. I agree with other posts that it was "businesslike" and "nuts and bolts" and for depth. Let's face it, the Ravens are not the Browns, we didn't need to rebuild our team. I continue to be reminded that Ozzie is pulling the levers here with assistance from DeCosta and a bunch of smart guys who have had solid success. I'm willing to give it time before issuing a "grade".

I am intrigued by Streeter. A 6'5" guy with 4.40 speed, my first thought was "Randy Moss".
    Streeter intrigues me a lot as well.

Huge wingspan, good leaping ability, good straight line speed. He'll be a good red zone target.

Miami had crap QB's during his time there so I think that his stock suffered because of that, but I'm excited to see what he can do.

Official 40 time was a 4.40, but some guys hand clocked him as low as 4.34. He can move.

One thing you'll notice with Streeter is that he hardly runs any routes except for drags and 9 routes. He definitely is going to need some coaching on his routes. However, one thing he was always very good at Miami was corner fades in the end zone. Joe is going to like having a 6'5" receiver.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I was wondering whether Gradkowski can handle long-snapping duties and be the backup LS on our depth chart. You don't expect your long snapper to go down in mid game, but it would be good if you've got a center who could fill in.

Why is nobody high on Streeter? I watched some tape of him, and he seems to have pretty good hands. Granted, they don't show the failed plays on this highlight reels, so maybe there's something I'm not seeing. But I see him jump up and get the ball with absolute ease in a number of plays. He's also very fast, and he seems to blow past coverage in a number of plays and catch the ball wide open downfield. I am extremely excited to see what he can do with Flacco throwing the ball to him. What is it about him that give everyone such reservation in being excited?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Streeter intrigues me a lot as well.

Huge wingspan, good leaping ability, good straight line speed. He'll be a good red zone target.

Miami had crap QB's during his time there so I think that his stock suffered because of that, but I'm excited to see what he can do.

Official 40 time was a 4.40, but some guys hand clocked him as low as 4.34. He can move.

One thing you'll notice with Streeter is that he hardly runs any routes except for drags and 9 routes. He definitely is going to need some coaching on his routes. However, one thing he was always very good at Miami was corner fades in the end zone. Joe is going to like having a 6'5" receiver.
    I'm hoping he gets a chance and doesn't end up 'Dossed' by Cam

The Ravens drafted for the future. They did not sell out to get a few perceived high ranking players at perceived positions of need. Upshaw combined with Kruger, and Suggs should give the team a nice rotation at OLB. If they get anything from Kindle or McAdoo they will be in great shape for a number of years.

I believe Pierce was the first step in reducing the importance of Rice to the offense. Last year Rice played way too many snaps and if anything would have happened to him the Ravens were in trouble. With Pierce they have a guy that fits what they want to do in the running game. Pierce looked good catching the ball at the combine.

Gradkowski and Osmele give the Ravens a couple of nasty guys for the interior. It is up to the Ravens to develop them.

According to a couple of reports on Thompson he will be ideal for covering the big fast tight ends.

While it is not the most exciting draft it is definitely one where they may have found some solid starters. Only time will tell.

Blog Entries

I like the Christian Thompson pick more and more. I didn't realize he was an Auburn transfer.

After reading up on him it seems like he has a big chip on his shoulder. I like that. You need that in the AFC.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.