Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Bengals Punter's Jaw Broken by Steelers Blind Side Hit

Pretty shitty non-call. Even after the fact when the dudes laying there with a broken jaw, I think you should be able to make that call. led with the crown and went to the helmet, hope it was worth the fine hes going to get.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    If I'm a punter and the play comes my way my head on on a swivel the entire time. No one really expects you to make a tackle anyway.
    Yes I suppose that is true. And Houston Raven, I suppose it really wasn't a true blind side hit. The punter was running towards the returner and was seemingly oblivious to the blocker coming at him.

Still it was an unnecessary helmet to helmet on a punter, who was unlikely to make the tackle anyway. I think the Steeler player Garvin singled him out because he was easy prey.

I didn't see the entire game but I noticed on the next punt the Bengals FG punter had to kpunt and kicked it about 30 yards. The Steelers probably would have won anyway but they gained a competitive advantage in the game due to this illegal vicious play.

I don't think there was intent to injure. It's a tough situation. You can't MAKE a guy look at you before you hit him. You ask a defender to pull up, and if the guy adjusts and gets around him to make a tackle... you could wind up costing your team a game / playoff spot. That said, he's going to get a hefty fine, I'd bet the farm on that.

In last year's game at PIT, Ihedigbo DESTROYED some unsuspecting PIT guy chasing after Jacoby Jones on the punt return for a TD (the Ravens only TD of the game). It was a beautiful thing to see as a Ravens fan given the opponent :) but the broadcast never focused on it / replayed it. I don't remember if there was helmet to helmet, and the guy wasn't seriously injured... but sometimes the difference between serious injury and a clean, no flag, no fine hit is only an inch or two...

As for the context of the block, it was a legal, justified block. The player did lean to the left to move his head away from the other players helmet and body. His shoulder did make contact simultaneously with the player at at the center. I do think it was his left jaw that was broken (I would have to check to be sure) and that is the side where the shoulder contacted. So, in the that regard, I think it was a legal block.

Now, did their helmets collide? I can't be sure. The views I witnessed did not show that definitively. If they did, it was not because the player "lead with the helmet." Will there be a fine? I don't know. Would I be surprised - no. There have been some seemingly obvious calls and fines not called and others that were questionable called. It seems the culture is to demand or call a penalty anytime a player gets hit so hard they are injured.

I can say that Huber definitely was not practicing situational awareness. He got creamed while not paying attention. That is on Huber, not the guy who hit him. What is he supposed to do, tap him on the shoulder? Call his name to get his attention? If he does not get a broken jaw, this conversations probably would not happen. Just because Huber is not looking and was injured does not mean it was a dirty hit.

And to insinuate that any NFL coach encourages players to hit in a manner that is obviously illegal, can injure both players, and lead to fines for the player, and be a game changing event is silly.

Regardless, I feel bad for Huber. I hate to see players from any team or any position get injured. And I am sure Huber will be much more aware of the opposing players position in relation to his position in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    Personally I think Tomlin encourages this type of play, while Harbaugh does the opposite.
    Last edited by Complex; 12-16-2013 at 10:04 AM.

My problem with punters and kickers being treated differently than other players is that they sometimes make tackles. Sometimes touchdown-saving tackles. Sometimes game-changing tackles. So why can't they be blocked the same as other players? I say make your kick and trot to the sidelines, and then you should be protected as a defenseless player. But as soon as you run down field and start filling a lane or looking to make a tackle, you are a football player subject to the same violence as other football players.
    "Chin up, chest out."

That is a great point. Maybe the kicking team could keep another ST player on the field while the punter exits through the back of the end zone. As a punter, I would think they realize that if they are going to try to make a play they are doing so at their own peril.

\
    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    My problem with punters and kickers being treated differently than other players is that they sometimes make tackles. Sometimes touchdown-saving tackles. Sometimes game-changing tackles. So why can't they be blocked the same as other players? I say make your kick and trot to the sidelines, and then you should be protected as a defenseless player. But as soon as you run down field and start filling a lane or looking to make a tackle, you are a football player subject to the same violence as other football players.

Looks to me like his shoulder never hit his head, it was the crown of the helmet only.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football...t-video/214016

He'll be fined. Also, kickers usually have a minimal sized face mask, there was enough space under it to expose his jaw. He needs to upgrade his grill in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yeah, I was just about to post something similar. PFT breaks it down here that punters / kickers are considered defenseless players, thus a flag should have been thrown.
    Sounds like he should have been flagged according to the rule. But that is a bullshit rule. If the punters and kickers are considered defenseless players all the time then they should not be allowed to try and make a tackle, or even push someone out of bounds. They should just run off the field after kicking the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Sounds like he should have been flagged according to the rule. But that is a bullshit rule. If the punters and kickers are considered defenseless players all the time then they should not be allowed to try and make a tackle, or even push someone out of bounds. They should just run off the field after kicking the ball.
    Agreed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with the hit. The guy didn't lead with his helmet at all. He clearly has his head turned to the side and puts his shoulder into the punter. Furthermore, the punter was going to be able to make a play on Antonio Brown. It isn't like he was 20 yards away from the play.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    The initial contact was both with the shoulder and the helmet. Helmet to helmet does apply. The articles I have read about the play indicate a fine is very likely.
    Here is what the USA headline article this morning said about the play.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ek-15/4036515/

Garvin's helmet caught Huber under his chin and resulted in a fractured jaw for Huber, which would end his season. The play could also draw a fine from the league.
    End his season? I can see not coming back into the game, but once he gets it wired up, he can probably play. Just can't try and make tackles, but then it looks like he shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with the hit. The guy didn't lead with his helmet at all. He clearly has his head turned to the side and puts his shoulder into the punter. Furthermore, the punter was going to be able to make a play on Antonio Brown. It isn't like he was 20 yards away from the play.
    10 years ago this would have been #1 on ESPN's jacked up and we all would have been cheering it on. even now, it's not illegal and if it was one of our guys laying the hit, we probably would be cheering it on. Hell, I'm waxing nostalgic watching it over and over.