Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitta injury

Re: Pitta injury

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Getting rid of Boldin and thinking Jones, Doss, Reed or some other guy can duplicate his performance is nutty. No hindsight required. They were counting on Pitta to take on much of that role. Now he's gone. That this is now a serious problem is glaringly obvious.
    His performance?

You mean his sub-1000 yard seasons every year that he was here? Its not too hard to duplicate that. If Mark Clayton can do it, any of those 3 can.

Blog Entries

A hip injury has to be tough. How do you ensure that it heals properly? You can't put a cast on it to hold it in place so that it can heal. Also, whenever you move around to try and get comfortable, you risk doing more damage. My heart really goes out to Pitta.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Did you see the words may be? Getting rid of Boldin was a mistake. Whether it ends up being a fatal one remains to be seen.
    Getting rid of Boldin may or may not be a mistake. It's your opinion it is.

If they keep Boldin, do they have the cap space to sign Dumervil or are they unable to make some other move that have strengthened the team.

In the era of the salary cap it's a balancing act between the various areas of strength and weakness. It's not like you get rid of Boldin and get zip from the position. You get something. The question is does adding a Dumervil (or other free agents) make up for the potential drop in production at receiver? Do you have other pieces in place that can take up the slack on offense.

IMO, Boldin AND his $6M price tag didn't make sense. At a lesser value maybe, but not the two of them. BTW, the Ravens actually did Anquan a favor by finding someone who would pay that price tag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perryw9202 View Post
    IMO, Boldin AND his $6M price tag didn't make sense. At a lesser value maybe, but not the two of them. BTW, the Ravens actually did Anquan a favor by finding someone who would pay that price tag.
    The 49ers have a lot of decent WRs. Before Crabtree got hurt, I was thinking that there was an outside chance that they cut Boldin. That is no longer a possibility though.

I've always been one that said letting Boldin go was a mistake...I thought it then, I think so now, and I will always believe it was a mistake.

IMHO, we should have been adding passing game weapons for Joe, not letting go of his safety valve. To make the investment with Joe that the organization did and then remove weapons will never make sense to me. And frankly, I would have liked to have seen a season of Boldin with Caldwell.

And I can't stand the "if we keep Boldin, we wouldn't be able to sign player X". We could have easily got the cap dollars...one way was doing what I said we should have done at the start of the year that we finally did a couple weeks ago...cut Leach. I also would have cut McClain as well. And there are other things we could have done to free up a little bit of space...hell, maybe extend Boldin for another season that would lower his cap numbers. It could have been done without screwing ourselves with the cap.

Now, obviously Pittas injury makes Boldins departure more glaring, but it's not like the team knew or could plan for an injury like this. It's just an unfortunate piece of bad luck.

Next man up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I've always been one that said letting Boldin go was a mistake...I thought it then, I think so now, and I will always believe it was a mistake.

IMHO, we should have been adding passing game weapons for Joe, not letting go of his safety valve. To make the investment with Joe that the organization did and then remove weapons will never make sense to me. And frankly, I would have liked to have seen a season of Boldin with Caldwell.

And I can't stand the "if we keep Boldin, we wouldn't be able to sign player X". We could have easily got the cap dollars...one way was doing what I said we should have done at the start of the year that we finally did a couple weeks ago...cut Leach. I also would have cut McClain as well. And there are other things we could have done to free up a little bit of space...hell, maybe extend Boldin for another season that would lower his cap numbers. It could have been done without screwing ourselves with the cap.

Now, obviously Pittas injury makes Boldins departure more glaring, but it's not like the team knew or could plan for an injury like this. It's just an unfortunate piece of bad luck.

Next man up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    This!

I also don't understand how some give Flacco the benefit of doubt in being under Cam's offense but do the same with Boldin in pointing out his low numbers. Fact is both players performed better once Caldwell took over. So if you believe Flacco will be better under Caldwell then you should assume Boldin would have also. I said getting rid of Boldin was a mistake since day one, and even more so now, since they didn't have a clear plan besides counting on Pitta.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perryw9202 View Post
    The Ravens could have cared less if someone payed him that price tag, they just wanted something for him if they were to lose him, as it was evident that they just took anything they could get. I think if they would have let him go, it may have been a good chance he returned to us cheaper as no team probably would have offered him that much....Even SF.

Local sports talk host here in Houston is almost gloating about Pitta's injury. Called Caldwell a "sock puppet;" Ravens "have lost 42% of their offense . . . won't make post-season," etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    His performance?

You mean his sub-1000 yard seasons every year that he was here? Its not too hard to duplicate that. If Mark Clayton can do it, any of those 3 can.
    I think a lot of fans are still caught up on what Boldin did in the playoffs. He had an incredible stretch that he'll very likely never duplicate.

Boldin during the regular season was pretty average from a statistical standpoint. I think the combination of Jones, Doss, and Reed can easily match Boldin's stats. Now obviously stats aren't everything. Boldin was reliable and showed up in crunch time. Can Jones, Doss, or Reed do the same on a consistent basis? I'm excited to see if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Local sports talk host here in Houston is almost gloating about Pitta's injury. Called Caldwell a "sock puppet;" Ravens "have lost 42% of their offense . . . won't make post-season," etc, etc.
    They need something to get their mind of Ed Reed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    I think a lot of fans are still caught up on what Boldin did in the playoffs. He had an incredible stretch that he'll very likely never duplicate.

Boldin during the regular season was pretty average from a statistical standpoint. I think the combination of Jones, Doss, and Reed can easily match Boldin's stats. Now obviously stats aren't everything. Boldin was reliable and showed up in crunch time. Can Jones, Doss, or Reed do the same on a consistent basis? I'm excited to see if they can.
    And Flacco didn't? You don't see the coincidence?

Blog Entries

Broncos just lost their center to an ACL.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!