Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Time to take the Bengals seriously

This has been thoroughly debated through the past two seasons, and I now believe that the debate has credit to it. The Bengals got the monkey off their back by beating the Steelers, and getting into the play offs for the second consecutive season. The Steelers have missed out, and it's time to consider the Bengals as contenders in not only the AFCN but the AFC in general into the future.

Good young QB who can win a lot of games. Good receiving core, one of the better Olines in the game, and a solid young defense. They may not be loaded in talent like the Ravens and Steelers have over the years, but with questions surrounding our own roster, and the Steelers looking to be in cap hell in the offseason, I seriously think the Bengals have leap frogged the Steelers.

Maybe the rivalry between the Ravens and the Steelers won't be as intense or have as many implications as it has done through the last few years, and maybe the Ravens vs Bengals will be the new big rivalry game in the AFCN. Who knows whats going to happen with the Browns, they have a good core of young players that needs more players to even think about competing in this division.

I've been hearing reports that the Steelers may be up to -28 million against the cap, sounds very exaggerated to me, but it's no secret that the Steelers have constantly restructured deals/contracts year after year, and it looks like it's going to come back to haunt them. I would not be surprised to see James Harrison, Troy, Larry Foote, Ike Taylor, Brett Kiesel, and Casey Hampton all to be gone next season. That's before players like Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis hitting FA, players that the Steelers will likely not be able to resign.

Blog Entries

Re: Time to take the Bengals seriously

Bengals are definitley the up and comers. Young core coming together there, and they STILL may be reaping benefits from the Palmer trade!

We and the Steelers will be pressed against the cap and need to make some big moves to keep afloat. I think that Haley/BR combination worked out about as I expected: terrible. Arians is getting the last laugh as the Colts make the playoffs while the Steelers work out tee times.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

There's some truth to what you posted. I think we should see what happens in the off season and more importantly see how the Bengals start next season, maybe they come out smoking or falling flat on their face. I think the halfway mark will determine whether the bengals are ready to seize the division. Until then it will still come down to the Steelers and Ravens and yes the Steelers remain one of the top dogs because we as ravens fans should learn never to count them out.

The Bengals had a masterful draft this past year and has added a boatload of talent over the past two years.

Dre Kirkpatrick (hasn't even really made an impact yet)
    Kevin Zeitler (started every game, playing at an above average level already)
    Devon Still (limited playing time so far, but was a solid value at pick #53)"
    Mohamed Sanu (was really starting to contribute before season-ending injury. Had 4 TDs in a span of 6 games)
    Brandon Thompson (jury still out)
    Orson Charles (good depth guy behind Gresham. 8 catches-101 yards. Good reputation as a blocker)
    Marvin Jones (took over as the #3 guy once Sanu went down. Probably will occupy that role for a while depending on what long-term decision they make on Andrew Hawkins)
    George Iloka (was a great in the late 5th round. Special team guy right now, but projects an eventual starter)
    Dan Herron (was on practice squad for most of the year, but has recently made some bigtime special teams plays for them)
    Burfict (undrafted, leading Bengals tackler)

2011-Not a good draft in terms of depth (4 of their 8 picks have played 1 NFL game or fewer), but hit two home runs with the first two picks.

AJ Green- Hall of Fame type talent
    Andy Dalton- led team to playoffs each of first two years. 46 TDs passing and 5 rushing TDs in first 31 games as a pro)

Jermaine Gresham- has averaged 57-604-5 over first 3 seasons.
    Carlos Dunlap- 19 career sacks in 37 games.
    Geno Atkins- 23.5 career sacks, including 13 this year. Having an All-Pro type season on their interior line. I consider him a top 50 player in the NFL right now.

Maulaluga (still only 25 years old)
    Michael Johnson (9.5 sacks this year. Re-signing him in the offseason is going to be a huge factor in future success).

I think the balance of power is surely shifting in the AFCN right now. The Bengals and Browns are heading upward, Ravens slightly downward, and the Steelers bigtime downward.

I wouldn't be surprised if CLE, CIN, and BAL are 3 of the 7 best teams in the NFL next year, along with NE/DEN/HOU/INDY.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Bengals are definitley the up and comers. Young core coming together there, and they STILL may be reaping benefits from the Palmer trade!

We and the Steelers will be pressed against the cap and need to make some big moves to keep afloat. I think that Haley/BR combination worked out about as I expected: terrible. Arians is getting the last laugh as the Colts make the playoffs while the Steelers work out tee times.
    Our cap situation is far from perfect, but no where near as bad as the Steelers. I just read that they are around 24 million against the cap.

Blog Entries

Mualuaga is awful, that wasn't a good pick IMO. He's like our Terrence Cody at ILB.

Blog Entries

Color me a bit skeptical. I have heard this talk before, more precisely, in 2005. The Bengals had more talent back then (just compare the rosters) and that did not go anywhere. Sometimes it's the organization that needs to change, not the players on the field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if CLE, CIN, and BAL are 3 of the 7 best teams in the NFL next year, along with NE/DEN/HOU/INDY.
    LOL are you expecting the NFC to disband? Agreed with a lot of what you wrote before that, though.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

Honestly it sure looks like the Ravens do take the Bengals seriously. These are usually very tough and close games.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Honestly it sure looks like the Ravens do take the Bengals seriously. These are usually very tough and close games.
    The Bengals have obviously taken a huge step. Going into Pittsburgh and winning that game was a bid deal. Crippled or not, the Steelers were favored.

I think their defense is one of, if not the best in the league right now. I've watched their past two games and the offense is kinda blah.

Dalton Week 15:
    13-27 (48%) 127 yds, 6 sacks, 2 fumbles 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD

Dalton Week 16:
    24-41 (59%) 278 yds, 6 sacks, 2 ints 0 TDs (only 12 yards of team rushing)

I still think they're up and coming but not on the level of the big boys yet. They'll have a high 2nd round pick thanks to Al Davis so they'll be improving again this offseason.

Two excellent coordinators

Zimmer and Gruden

Credit due to both

I don't know enough about Bengals special teams to comment on that