Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Why does Brady's name even have to be entered into the conversation?

Again, comparing Joe to ANY other QB (past or present) is futile IMO. It just doesn't make sense. There are so many other impacting factors to the level at which a QB is able to play...and that includes his supporting cast...i.e. the rest of the team.
    The reason is because so many are desperate to justify what Joe has done. They need to convince themselves about how good he is.

Mista T put it best. Joe Flacco is the best Baltimore QB since Bert Jones. Jones wasn't Unitas but he was pretty damn good when healthy. No one feels they have to defend Bert's reputation or place in history. Why can't they just do that with Flacco?

Re: Joe Flacco Earns 60th Career Win: Most All Time In First Five Years of a QB's Career!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The reason is because so many are desperate to justify what Joe has done. They need to convince themselves about how good he is.

Mista T put it best. Joe Flacco is the best Baltimore QB since Bert Jones. Jones wasn't Unitas but he was pretty damn good when healthy. No one feels they have to defend Bert's reputation or place in history. Why can't they just do that with Flacco?
    Wrong. It's the other way around. We have to convince others of how good he is and good he can be because of all the Flacco bashing that goes on here. Alot of which is not justifiied.

Personally, I didn't see that in the OP. It merely stated a fact. The "desperation" comes later...from both sides.

Posters put up threads with various interesting, complimentary, or impressive factoids like this about every player all the fucking time. I didn't see anyone telling us that it was a bullshit effort to prop up Ray Lewis when it was about him. Or Gino. Or Tyrod. Ray Rice. Or Ed Reed. Or any of the other players who have complimentary threads about them that I recall popping up in the last few weeks.

If the internet had existed when Bert Jones was playing I PROMISE you that all people would have posted about was how shitty he was compared to Johnny U. Anyone who felt the need to say things like "Hey, he's pretty good" would be told that no one ever tried to justify John Unitas' place in history and we should all shut the fuck up about it.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Because there is an equal contingent of fans that minimize and debase everything he has contributed to the success of this team?

And as such there is a constant tug and pull between people that think he is largely worthless and nothing special (merely "along for the ride") and those that actually see he has contributed greatly to this teams success.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Wrong. It's the other way around. We have to convince others of how good he is and good he can be because of all the Flacco bashing that goes on here. Alot of which is not justifiied.
    And you honestly think this is going to change their minds? There are 2 ways that a quarterback earns respect. They either put up great stats, go to the Pro Bowl, win the MVP, etc.... or they win the Super Bowl. All the other feel good stuff doesn't change anything.

Philip Rivers has been to 4 Pro Bowls and has a career QB rating of 94.5 which is 5th best of any active player. So if a Chargers fan starts bringing up those awards and accomplishments is anyone going to decide that Rivers is a top QB? The guy suggesting that would sound pretty desperate

Blog Entries

Frankly, I agree with you. I couldn't care less about what the national perspective is on Joe Flacco. I mean, PFT had a write up on the Ravens/Colts game this past weekend and the first line was something along the lines of "despite Flacco...yadda yadda yadda...Rice's long run bailed Joe out...yadda yadda yadda". Now, just looking at the numbers one probably WOULD come away with that mentality, but if you actually watched the game and saw Flacco hit Doss in the end zone twice and Doss dropped both passes, then you kind of come away with a different perspective (at least for that game).

I hate comparing Joe - or any QB - to any other QB in the NFL, because while that position garners the most attention, it is arguably the most dependent on other players. Every team has strengths and weaknesses and more often than not, the QB's overall productive and effectiveness is predicated on those strengths and weaknesses.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Because there is an equal contingent of fans that minimize and debase everything he has contributed to the success of this team?

And as such there is a constant tug and pull between people that think he is largely worthless and nothing special (merely "along for the ride") and those that actually see he has contributed greatly to this teams success.
    Because he is an easy target and based on a lot of the posts from members on here, I would surmise that a majority of them have never played outside of a video game or maybe rec/flag football.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

And you honestly think this is going to change their minds? There are 2 ways that a quarterback earns respect. They either put up great stats, go to the Pro Bowl, win the MVP, etc.... or they win the Super Bowl.
    False. No one respects Dilfer or Brad Johnson.

Blog Entries

Because he is an easy target and based on a lot of the posts from members on here, I would surmise that a majority of them have never played outside of a video game or maybe rec/flag football.
    You mean people don't know that Drew Brees wasn't throwing 40 TD's per year every year of his career?

I've had this argument on other boards - look up the first 5 years of any "elite" QB...they don't look so elite.

It seems that after year 5 is when things really start to come together.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, neither did Joe either. He started his rookie season by default.

Not a slam on Joe. Just making a small correction.
    However he made it on the field, the team won with him under center.

And continued to win at a pace no team has won during a QB's first five years in the NFL.

Blog Entries

Frankly, I agree with you. I couldn't care less about what the national perspective is on Joe Flacco. I mean, PFT had a write up on the Ravens/Colts game this past weekend and the first line was something along the lines of "despite Flacco...yadda yadda yadda...Rice's long run bailed Joe out...yadda yadda yadda". Now, just looking at the numbers one probably WOULD come away with that mentality, but if you actually watched the game and saw Flacco hit Doss in the end zone twice and Doss dropped both passes, then you kind of come away with a different perspective (at least for that game).

I hate comparing Joe - or any QB - to any other QB in the NFL, because while that position garners the most attention, it is arguably the most dependent on other players. Every team has strengths and weaknesses and more often than not, the QB's overall productive and effectiveness is predicated on those strengths and weaknesses.
    The problem is the money. Quarterbacks cost so much that they have to be the center of attention for any team. The rules have made them critical. Flacco is going to be the QB for the Ravens for the next 5 to 6 years even if he's franchised this year. He absolutely has the talent to win a Super Bowl. At that point the negativity and nonsense goes away. Until then though no one is going to change their mind. The haters are going to keep hating.

Yahoo had a story about Ray's final home game hit their front page. It was a really nice piece about everything he has meant to the team and the city. 9 out of 10 comments on the story were either knife jokes or saying he should be in prison and everything else we read before. Some people just love to hate and there is no point trying to change them because they never will change.