Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: McKinnie ?

Re: McKinnie ?

Quote Originally Posted by rpcfball View Post
    There's other tackle options on the market so Ozzie has no need to overpay for one. You've got gaither, Andre smith, Eric Winston, and I just got a text saying clabo was cut. And none of these other guys have weight issues. Mckinnie definitely has no leverage on the ravens right now so there's no hurry to sign him
    Umm ...no. Gaither isn't coming back here. Compared to Gaither, McKinnie has a stellar work ethic.

As to Clabo, Winston and Smith, I think those guys are RT's, and I personally don't wanna see Oher on the left side anymore.

Like others have said, no rush to re-sign McKinnie because there's plenty of time. His price may drop, or other options may present themselves.

Does anybody know if McKinnie has even visited any other clubs?

While I would agree that moving Oher back to LT...again...is NOT the answer, I remain extremely leery of McKinnie. If there ends up being zippy market for him, I hope any deal that Oz offers is incentive-laden.

No one else is interested in McKinnie. Andre Smith is probably the best LT out there and he can't find anyone to give him more money than the Bengals.

Dry FA market this year. Any player looking for big $$$ that didn't get signed 2-3 days into FA are likely not going to get anything close to what they want/\.

McKinnie IS NOT coming back next year. I don't care how many "conversations" he claims he's had with Harbaugh, or what coachspeak comes out of John's mouth. He's not coming back! Mark that down as my most bulletproof prediction of the year. If I'm wrong feel free to put this in your signature to remind me as much as possible.

This is a guy who WOULD NOT HAVE PLAYED A SNAP last year without Jah Reid getting hurt. Oher wasn't very good at LT in 2012, in fact he was downright bad quite often, but he kept the job all 16 games. If Jah Reid would have been healthy for the playoffs they would have plugged him in at LG just like they did every other time he was healthy. When Reid went down, they KNEW they couldn't hand the job back to Harewood or B. Williams. They had NO CHOICE but to plug KO in at LG, and that opened up a hole at RT. McKinnie can't play RT, but Oher can, so the ONLY OPTION was to play McKinnie.

No matter how much we try to massage the narrative after the fact, McKinnie was not in the Ravens' plans to play a snap at LT in 2012, and I see NO REASON to think he's in the plans for 2013. End of story. They'll play Oher at LT because they like him there--they always have and the results on the field have never been and will never be an impediment to that.

I don't LIKE Oher at LT, but it's going to be either him or Osemele at LT on opening day. If the OL is strong at the other 4 positions the offense as a whole can probably overcome bad LT play. I think bringing in an RT option like Winston or Clabo is the direction the team will go.

Not much news, but apparently McKinnie's agent has been speaking with Newsome in preliminary talks. Doesn't mean a whole lot, and in the end I think McKinnie is not with the team next year, due to several obvious reasons.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...5-e155cead8afd

Yes, McKinnie might not have the greatest work ethic but if he comes back for a minimum deal, why complain?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    It seems like a no brainer to bring him back .... what is the hold up?

Do you think it is the Ravens holding this up by looking at other options or do you think he is trying to get more money from another team?
    The holdup is that Ozzie doesn't think it's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't LIKE Oher at LT, but it's going to be either him or Osemele at LT on opening day. If the OL is strong at the other 4 positions the offense as a whole can probably overcome bad LT play. I think bringing in an RT option like Winston or Clabo is the direction the team will go.
    Oher at LT, or a project, in KO, is NOT the solution to protect the blind side of a franchise QB. Sorry. That just doesn't wash. McKinnie is better than EITHER of those options.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The holdup is that Ozzie doesn't think it's a no-brainer.
    Then the question remains: what IS Ozzie's solution, then?

Blog Entries

If McKinnie is signed, I think it's a post-draft move. Really, I think/hope the FO realizes that Oher isn't a LT. So either we get a good LT prospect in the draft, then maybe don't need McKinnie, or we get a developmental guy and bring back McKinnie for a year to help keep the spot warm.

In any case, his market seems pretty dried up. He knows Ravens would probably be his best spot, so I think Ozzie is willing to play chicken here. McKinnie, either you wait and get some money, or you take whatever deal is out there now. He's betting McKinnie waits.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Oher at LT, or a project, in KO, is NOT the solution to protect the blind side of a franchise QB. Sorry. That just doesn't wash. McKinnie is better than EITHER of those options.
    ITA.

As a rookie Oher did an outstanding job at RT but I think the constantly moving him around has if anything caused him to regress as a player. Maybe that stint at LT caused him to lose a bit of confidence but he is just not the same player that he once was. He is not now nor will he ever be anything but an average to below average LT in the NFL. As far as the other alternatives Clabo and Winston as RT's as well as Smith and in his case he's looking for a contract in the neighborhood of $9-10M per season so they aren't really viable options either. The likelihood that they are going to find a LT in this years draft who can come in and start immediately is extremely remote. Lastly,no one really wants to risk bringing Gaither back and he would seemingly be a less reliable option than McKinnie. We've all seen how Flacco plays when he gets solid protection and we've seen how he plays when he doesn't, and if the team isn't careful this move or the lack of a move has the potential to either make or break the entire season. I hope the team strongly considers resigning McKinnie to something along the lines of a 2 year deal with loads on incentives that includes a weight clause. Signing Gaither to a vet minimum deal to come in and serve as the backup may not be the worst idea either.

Blog Entries

I think he'll end up signing a one year deal for a very cheap price because of the lack of interest.

I think that the Ravens will draft a versatile Olineman who will end up playing guard and will shift KO to LT in 2014 were I believe they want him to play eventually.