Page 35 of 333 FirstFirst ... 3334353637 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I am also hoping that they switch to more of a 4-3 front...That would assist the pass rush a lot and would assist with covering the middle of the field.
    Sounds good in theory, Arthur Jones and McPhee are probably better fits as one gap DT's than 3-4 DE's, while Ngata could wreck havoc in that scheme, whenever Chuck got the D to line up in a 4-3 last year, Ngata looked great there, as he did in Rex' hybrid scheme.

The only issue is where do you put Upshaw in a 4-3 front? LB or DE?

Blog Entries

Went back to watch some tape on A Brown. I can see the upside with him in pass coverage and sideline speed, I get the attraction in todays league, he made a nice pick at the end too. However, I counted eight missed tackles, and he got pancaked once too. He is going to have to improve that aspect of his game, because in the AFCN he is going to get trounced in the run game when guys like Willie Colon or Kevin Zeitler come up to the second level on him.

Maybe it was just a bad game for him, but it is still alarming.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Sounds good in theory, Arthur Jones and McPhee are probably better fits as one gap DT's than 3-4 DE's, while Ngata could wreck havoc in that scheme, whenever Chuck got the D to line up in a 4-3 last year, Ngata looked great there, as he did in Rex' hybrid scheme.

The only issue is where do you put Upshaw in a 4-3 front? LB or DE?
    I would line Upshaw up as a 4-3 DE in a second. He's a so-so pass rusher, but he is pretty solid against the run. He'd be an ideal 4-3 LE, IMO, opposite of Suggs. Then, in sub-packages, he slides over to DT with McPhee and Kruger (assuming he is retained) comes in at LE/Rusher.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I would line Upshaw up as a 4-3 DE in a second. He's a so-so pass rusher, but he is pretty solid against the run. He'd be an ideal 4-3 LE, IMO, opposite of Suggs. Then, in sub-packages, he slides over to DT with McPhee and Kruger (assuming he is retained) comes in at LE/Rusher.
    So a front of Suggs-Ngata-Jones/McPhee-Upshaw, sounds nasty.

Blog Entries

So a front of Suggs-Ngata-Jones/McPhee-Upshaw, sounds nasty.
    I agree.

McPhee and Ngata swap out on sub-packages. This also helps Ngata reduce the number of snaps he sees on the field. It was posted on other threads and I tend to agree. I think Ngata is on the field too much this year and it causes him to be less effective.

A scheme switch also assists the Ravens by opening up several more LB options who may be better suited for a 4-3...
    Alec Ogletree, Arthur Brown, Jelani Jenkins, Khaseem Greene, etc.

Blog Entries

I agree.

McPhee and Ngata swap out on sub-packages. This also helps Ngata reduce the number of snaps he sees on the field. It was posted on other threads and I tend to agree. I think Ngata is on the field too much this year and it causes him to be less effective.

A scheme switch also assists the Ravens by opening up several more LB options who may be better suited for a 4-3...
    Alec Ogletree, Arthur Brown, Jelani Jenkins, Khaseem Greene, etc.
    I would like to see McClellan and Elerbe in a 4-3 scheme too.

Anyone think if we really do shake-up the coaching staff this off-season we look at Romeo Crennel? He's probably going to be let go by KC, and is a great DC.

Blog Entries

That would be great if we could get him in the third round, would be a great value pick. So basically I as correct on my analyses that he's more of a run defending LB who's maybe a better fit as a 3-4 ILB like in our scheme rather than a speedy 4-3 LB who has to drop back into coverage etc? That's what I've seen of him anyway.
    You're right. He's much more of a run defender at least in the system he played in. I do think he could drop back and defend but I haven't seen enough of it. Stopping the run is always job 1 in the SEC.

Outside of the top prospects it's tough to predict where guys are going to go. We need more info and that won't come until the post season games and the Combine. It's all just shooting in dark at this point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Anyone think if we really do shake-up the coaching staff this off-season we look at Romeo Crennel? He's probably going to be let go by KC, and is a great DC.
    He and Ron Rivera would be my top 2 candidates at DC.

I always liked Crennell.

I agree with the move to the 4-3 100%. That's the direction the league is going and it would make better use of our resources. Upshaw would be a good power/run-stuffing LDE to complement Suggs on the other side, Ngata and Jones offer good run stuffing up the middle, and it would help keep our LBs cleaner and more able to make plays.

I also like it because I think it gives us a chance to keep McClellan on the field... think he's a REALLY underrated player who would make a great 4-3 SAM. They would need to re-sign Ellerbe to play in the middle and go out and get a young, fast guy to play on the weak side.

Here's something to think about... do NOT be surprised if we take an uber-athletic DE/OLB type of guy in the 1st or 2nd round if somebody slips. The Giants have taught the entire league at this point that you never have enough pass rushers, and we actually don't have a single super-athletic guy to come in and rush the passer. Suggs used to be that kind of guy, but he is a VERY old 30 years of age right now and there's no guarantee he comes back 100% ever again. Upshaw on the other side is not a true quick-twitch rusher. At a minimum they need at least ONE guy who can come into the nickel package and rush from the edge with pure speed.

They have Adrian Hamilton on the practice squad and Michael McAdoo on IR, but both of those guys are UDFAs and no guarantee to pan out. Even if they do, again you can never have enough pass rushers. Of course, if they're able to re-sign Kruger that changes things, but I'm really thinking they're not going to be able to do that as he's going to get paid to be an every-down player somewhere else. He would still be a rotation guy here in Baltimore, albeit definitely seeing a lot of snaps.

Todd McShay (a guy I have mixed feelings about as a draft analyst) had us taking Corey Lemonier in the 1st... NOT a player I like, NOT a pick I like... but I think the "dark horse" kind of pick could be a DE/OLB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with the move to the 4-3 100%. That's the direction the league is going and it would make better use of our resources. Upshaw would be a good power/run-stuffing LDE to complement Suggs on the other side, Ngata and Jones offer good run stuffing up the middle, and it would help keep our LBs cleaner and more able to make plays.

I also like it because I think it gives us a chance to keep McClellan on the field... think he's a REALLY underrated player who would make a great 4-3 SAM. They would need to re-sign Ellerbe to play in the middle and go out and get a young, fast guy to play on the weak side.

Here's something to think about... do NOT be surprised if we take an uber-athletic DE/OLB type of guy in the 1st or 2nd round if somebody slips. The Giants have taught the entire league at this point that you never have enough pass rushers, and we actually don't have a single super-athletic guy to come in and rush the passer. Suggs used to be that kind of guy, but he is a VERY old 30 years of age right now and there's no guarantee he comes back 100% ever again. Upshaw on the other side is not a true quick-twitch rusher. At a minimum they need at least ONE guy who can come into the nickel package and rush from the edge with pure speed.

They have Adrian Hamilton on the practice squad and Michael McAdoo on IR, but both of those guys are UDFAs and no guarantee to pan out. Even if they do, again you can never have enough pass rushers. Of course, if they're able to re-sign Kruger that changes things, but I'm really thinking they're not going to be able to do that as he's going to get paid to be an every-down player somewhere else. He would still be a rotation guy here in Baltimore, albeit definitely seeing a lot of snaps.

Todd McShay (a guy I have mixed feelings about as a draft analyst) had us taking Corey Lemonier in the 1st... NOT a player I like, NOT a pick I like... but I think the "dark horse" kind of pick could be a DE/OLB.
    Todd McShay is an idiot and doesn't know much more than we do if at all. Corey is a 3rd round projection IMO, to even consider him as a first round pick for us is complete stupidity IMO. I actually am willing to bet money that Suggs will be back strong by next season, he's a beast.

Todd McShay is an idiot and doesn't know much more than we do if at all. Corey is a 3rd round projection IMO, to even consider him as a first round pick for us is complete stupidity IMO. I actually am willing to bet money that Suggs will be back strong by next season, he's a beast.
    Todd McShay says a lot of really dumb stuff, but he's been right before even when he went against the grain. He said Jimmy Clausen would bust and everybody ripped him for that but he was absolutely dead on. But I totally agree with you that he's dead wrong about Corey Lemonier, I don't like Lemonier as a player pretty much at all and he's definitely not a 1st rounder. I was just pointing out that mocking a DE/OLB to us in the 1st SEEMS like a long shot right now because we have so many other needs, but that I actually understand it as long as it's the BPA. We have a need there that people aren't paying attention to.

I actually think it's probably about 50/50 whether Suggs ever plays at 2010/2011 DPOY type level again. People look at him and say, "oh he's only 30 he'll be good another 3 or 4 years" but the dude has been in the league 10 years already and has a TON of wear on his body. Now he rushed back from an Achilles, still isn't really in shape at all, and is trying to deal with a torn biceps (and playing with a torn biceps could cause permanent damage).

I'm calling it 50/50 because I don't want to ever bet against Suggs... but I think there's a good chance he never plays at his best level again. This team needs an insurance policy and to groom a potential successor before it becomes too late. Just look at what happened to this team counting on Ray Lewis and Ed Reed to come back year after year without ever grooming their replacements... that approach hasn't been successful.