Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: M&T Among League's Best

lower ticket prices would be nice

Was the intent of this article to provoke another discussion about the M&T facility, or was it to discuss the Ravens game day experience?

The Ravens game-day is unequivocally one of the tops in the league. The crowds at most other NFL stadiums are relatively meek compared to ours. Our crowd's intimidation of opposing teams has been a Baltimore tradition since the Colts of the late 50s onward. ("Outdoor Insane Asylum"). This is not related to the stadium design -- we don't even have a partial roof like Cincy or Cleveland, much less a partial dome as in Seattle, to reverberate crowd noised. Our tailgating, Ravens Walk, the Band marching down Eutaw Promenade, the pregame march-on of the colors, "Proud to be an American", " 'Oh!' say can you see", Ray Lewis' dance etc. feed the crowd to build up the noise and intimidation of enemy QBs. Opposing teams last year voted our stadium the toughest in the NFL to play in, and the Ravens extraordinary home record has to have been at least partially aided by the Ravens crowd.

The M&T facility itself, however, is a different story. The article barely touched on the facility. The author made the statement " The stadium is great as it is now, but these new additions could help M&T Bank Stadium rise even higher on this coming year’s list.", but didn't back it up. As a facility (brick & mortar & concession stands & urinals & HDTVs etc), ours is a facility which is reaching mid-life in the short life expectancy of the 31 NFL stadiums. As a facility, I would place it about 16th-20th of the 31 NFL stadiums, ahead of Oakland, SF (soon to be replaced in Santa Clara), San Diego, Miami, Jax, Chicago, Green Bay (no upper deck). On a par with other open air stadiums built in the 90s: Landover, Charlotte, Nashville, Philly, Pitt, the Ohios. There are minor discriminators among these (as pointed out above: escalators, non-fantasy out-of-town scoreboards). No major discriminators. Behind Buffalo and KC, which have older stadiums but better site lines.

As to stadium location, Baltimore's is among the best. Only a few others can compete with our stadium for their great locations: There is only one New Orleans - no one should ever confuse South Baltimore with the French Quarter. Similarly, Nashville's stadium is a short walk across the river on a footbridge to the honky-tonks of Broadway. Jax is just a few hundred feet from the St John River and a short walk to their downtown. Other urban stadiums are in shit-hole cities of the Rust Belt. The rest of the NFL cities are too detached from the core cities to my liking.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Was the intent of this article to provoke another discussion about the M&T facility, or was it to discuss the Ravens game day experience?

The Ravens game-day is unequivocally one of the tops in the league. The crowds at most other NFL stadiums are relatively meek compared to ours. Our crowd's intimidation of opposing teams has been a Baltimore tradition since the Colts of the late 50s onward. ("Outdoor Insane Asylum"). This is not related to the stadium design -- we don't even have a partial roof like Cincy or Cleveland, much less a partial dome as in Seattle, to reverberate crowd noised. Our tailgating, Ravens Walk, the Band marching down Eutaw Promenade, the pregame march-on of the colors, "Proud to be an American", " 'Oh!' say can you see", Ray Lewis' dance etc. feed the crowd to build up the noise and intimidation of enemy QBs. Opposing teams last year voted our stadium the toughest in the NFL to play in, and the Ravens extraordinary home record has to have been at least partially aided by the Ravens crowd.

The M&T facility itself, however, is a different story. The article barely touched on the facility. The author made the statement " The stadium is great as it is now, but these new additions could help M&T Bank Stadium rise even higher on this coming year’s list.", but didn't back it up. As a facility (brick & mortar & concession stands & urinals & HDTVs etc), ours is a facility which is reaching mid-life in the short life expectancy of the 31 NFL stadiums. As a facility, I would place it about 16th-20th of the 31 NFL stadiums, ahead of Oakland, SF (soon to be replaced in Santa Clara), San Diego, Miami, Jax, Chicago, Green Bay (no upper deck). On a par with other open air stadiums built in the 90s: Landover, Charlotte, Nashville, Philly, Pitt, the Ohios. There are minor discriminators among these (as pointed out above: escalators, non-fantasy out-of-town scoreboards). No major discriminators. Behind Buffalo and KC, which have older stadiums but better site lines.

As to stadium location, Baltimore's is among the best. Only a few others can compete with our stadium for their great locations: There is only one New Orleans - no one should ever confuse South Baltimore with the French Quarter. Similarly, Nashville's stadium is a short walk across the river on a footbridge to the honky-tonks of Broadway. Jax is just a few hundred feet from the St John River and a short walk to their downtown. Other urban stadiums are in shit-hole cities of the Rust Belt. The rest of the NFL cities are too detached from the core cities to my liking.
    While the Super Dome and LP Field are nothing special, I love the location and ability to walk around New Orleans and Nashville, which are significantly more appealing than Baltimore.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Cue the requests for escalators and getting rid of fantasy stats on the boards.
    Cue the requests for escalators and getting rid of fantasy stats on the boards. MistaTYellsAtCloud.JPG

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    If people are to lazy to walk up a ramp, then they need to lose weight.
    If you have bad knees even thin people can't do ramps or stairs.

The elevators are not nearly sufficient for those needing help. My dad went with me in 2000 for the SD game when we clinched the playoff spot. He was in pretty good shape but no way could climb that much. The elevator was like a 20-30 minute wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you have bad knees even thin people can't do ramps or stairs.

The elevators are not nearly sufficient for those needing help. My dad went with me in 2000 for the SD game when we clinched the playoff spot. He was in pretty good shape but no way could climb that much. The elevator was like a 20-30 minute wait.
    You cannot please everyone. If you are not able to climb or whatever, then do not complain. No one is making you go to the games. I know I am being harsh, but people might have to learn.

Blog Entries

You cannot please everyone. If you are not able to climb or whatever, then do not complain. No one is making you go to the games. I know I am being harsh, but people might have to learn.
    I agree with you in part, but as a business you do want to cater to everyone as best as you can.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'll make a deal with you. You don't complain about my posts and I won't complain about the stadium.

Fact is the elevators are not sufficient and I think they could make improvements there. How is that any worse than complaining about long lines for the bathroom, which I also take issue with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    As a facility, I would place it about 16th-20th of the 31 NFL stadiums, ahead of Oakland, SF (soon to be replaced in Santa Clara), San Diego, Miami, Jax, Chicago, Green Bay (no upper deck). On a par with other open air stadiums built in the 90s: Landover, Charlotte, Nashville, Philly, Pitt, the Ohios.
    Just thought I would ask, since it is my thing to visit NFL stadiums, but why is Green Bay lumped in with all the out of date, lower level NFL stadiums? You do realize that Lambeau has stuck over $400 million in renovations in 2003 and this past year right?

It is the NFL's oldest stadium, but you couldn't tell that by looking at it or being in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'll make a deal with you. You don't complain about my posts and I won't complain about the stadium.

Fact is the elevators are not sufficient and I think they could make improvements there. How is that any worse than complaining about long lines for the bathroom, which I also take issue with?
    I believe that long bathroom lines are an issue at many stadiums, M&T included. I don't know how they can fix the problem, but it's arguably more important than the elevator issue.

I believe that long bathroom lines are an issue at many stadiums, M&T included. I don't know how they can fix the problem, but it's arguably more important than the elevator issue.
    Sure, unless you have a bad back from ~30 years of doing physical labor or something.

Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    Just thought I would ask, since it is my thing to visit NFL stadiums, but why is Green Bay lumped in with all the out of date, lower level NFL stadiums? You do realize that Lambeau has stuck over $400 million in renovations in 2003 and this past year right?

It is the NFL's oldest stadium, but you couldn't tell that by looking at it or being in it.
    Did they put seats in yet? ;)

Lambeau is very historic and I'm glad it's still there. The museum, the Atrium and the suites are top notch. But the general seating bowl is bleachers lol. What's the joke "18 inches of heaven" ? Now given you can rent a canvas seat back for $3 to delineate where your seat is, but when the joint is packed sometimes the guy on the end of the row is SOL

Don't get me wrong I love Lambeau Field, but the bleachers will keep it at least in the average echelon of stadia.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!