Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Goodbye Vontae Leach

Fuck this noise. Re-sign him at a lower rate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Fuck this noise. Re-sign him at a lower rate.
    They did offer Leach a contract that he rejected. If he doesn't get what he's looking for on the open market it's possible that the Ravens still might keep that offer open.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    No, those players are not enough for me. I hope that Suggs and Ngata return to their 2011 form this year, but that is TBD. Even with those guys, the Ravens were getting pushed around a few years ago. That was the catalyst for them to go out and get players like Boldin, Pollard, and Leach in the first place. I am very happy that McKinnie was re-signed, because his presence solidifies that OL. I am not saying that the Ravens will definitely be less successful, but they do look much more like a finesse team after this off-season.

I am talking about the identity of the team. The 2013 Ravens look more like the Patriots than Ravens teams of the past. The Patriots are a very successful team, but in a tough, physical, street fight of a game, I would prefer the traditional Ravens teams.
    Good point. I wonder what's going to happen in the fourth quarter on the road in one of those slugfests. Who rallies the troops?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    No, those players are not enough for me. I hope that Suggs and Ngata return to their 2011 form this year, but that is TBD. Even with those guys, the Ravens were getting pushed around a few years ago. That was the catalyst for them to go out and get players like Boldin, Pollard, and Leach in the first place. I am very happy that McKinnie was re-signed, because his presence solidifies that OL. I am not saying that the Ravens will definitely be less successful, but they do look much more like a finesse team after this off-season.

I am talking about the identity of the team. The 2013 Ravens look more like the Patriots than Ravens teams of the past. The Patriots are a very successful team, but in a tough, physical, street fight of a game, I would prefer the traditional Ravens teams.
    Because they finally have a QB that can pass the ball and speed at receiver, the team looks like a finesse team now? I mean, that's what I'm interpreting your post to say. Boldin had a great SB run, but it was pretty evident that he was having a hard time separating from corners. I love Boldin. He is one of my all-time favorite players, but let's be real here, replacing 60 receptions and around 800 yards and a handful of TDs during the regular season isn't going to be THAT difficult. Hell, Rice could easily replicate that AND add 1,000+ yards rushing.

Yes, the team is different, but I completely disagree with you that they won't be able to play physical football anymore. They've still got tough guys and they still have guys who "play like a Raven". This whole mantra that the team needs to go back to a juggernaut defense and a smash-mouth running attack is bunk. Clearly, you don't need that to win.

• Can the Ravens pass the ball? Yes. They still have Torrey, Pitta, and Rice; all of whom are excellent receivers and chain-movers.

• Can the Ravens protect Joe? Yes. They left KO at guard (very smart move), they're leaving Oher at RT, and they re-signed McKinnie. There is no reason that Joe should be slammed every other snap.

• Can the Ravens run the ball? Yes. Rice and Pierce should be an excellent duo and statistically Rice was BETTER out of the single back sets.

• Can the Ravens rush the passer? Yes. A healthy Suggs combined with one of the best pass rushers in the league should be fun to watch.

• Can the Ravens stop the run? Yes. They got two of the best run defenders in the draft (Elam and Brown) and they got a bull of a NT in Brandon Williams.

• Can the Ravens stop the pass? Yes. They'll get Webb back, Jimmy is looking good this offseason, Chykie can cover, Corey Graham is a hell of a nickel corner, Elam can cover ground, Huff was one of the better cover safeties last year, and they finally got an inside linebacker who can run (Brown).

I think you'll find that Brown, Elam, Brandon Williams, KJ, Simon, etc are all capable of being legitimate "Ravens" players in every sense of the word.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Good point. I wonder what's going to happen in the fourth quarter on the road in one of those slugfests. Who rallies the troops?

You're right. The Ravens now have NO ONE that can motivate, lead, and rally everyone together.

So...you need an all pro FB to be a really physical team?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I guess so.

FWIW......

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 12m Forgive if this already out there (up to my Tebows in other stuff): Ravens offered Vonta Leach a chance to earn back pay cuts in incentives.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No. But you do need players like Leach, Boldin and Pollard to give you an identity. Pollard singlehandedly changed the complexion of the AFCCG with that hit on Ridley. And who can forget Boldin literally laughing while caught that TD pass? That's all I was implying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

You're right. The Ravens now have NO ONE that can motivate, lead, and rally everyone together.
    Just like you were right before last season when you insisted the Raven's defense would be a top 10 unit. How'd that turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    FWIW......

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 12m Forgive if this already out there (up to my Tebows in other stuff): Ravens offered Vonta Leach a chance to earn back pay cuts in incentives.
    If those incentives including playing time, depending on the amount required, I can't really fathom how he'd attain those based on the direction the offense is supposed to be headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    If those incentives including playing time, depending on the amount required, I can't really fathom how he'd attain those.
    It would likely be a mix of different incentives, but as far as any tied to playing time, it would have to be NLTBE for it to count next year and not this year, so he'd have to play more than last year to earn them.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap