Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Derrick Mason wants to Retire as a Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    That's great! He played like a Raven and deserves to retire as one. I'll never forget him coming back into the game in Dallas game with a fucked up ass shoulder and still making plays.
    That game took my respect for Mason to a whole new level. He couldn't lift his arms up above his head and Dallas still couldnt stop him.

Mason gave us 110% every time he took the field. I love the fact that he would like to be known as a retired Raven, and with that he would be around to give our rookies pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I interpreted as him wanting to sign the one day contract in a Ravens jersey and then having a retirement press conference. Those retirement press conference get national coverage (NFL Network and maybe ESPN). Sorry, I just don't feel Mason's contribution deserves that level of commendation. I definitely think he deserves a halftime ceremony and I actually don't have a problem with him being inducted to the Ravens HOF at some point. These are personal celebrations with it just being Derrick, the Ravens, and us the fans. But a retirement press conference after a one day contract signing should be only for the cream of the crop that left at the end of their careers. So in other words, if Ray Lewis plays with say the Bucs for a year (not at all likely), or if Ed Reed plays a few years with the Colts and Chuck Pagano (I could actually see this happening)...they are the caliber of great player that would be worthy of the one day contract ceremony. Jamal Lewis, I'd argue was more important in Ravens history from an offensive standpoint than Derrick (plus he won a SB). He went to Browns for a few years at the end of his career. He didnt do the one day contract thing (right?? dont remember anything formal)
    Agreed and I would also take Jamal and Heeeeeeeeeap over Mason.

Mason was great in 2007-2008.. and his 2008 season deserves a ton of respect.

DMase was a very important player on the O side and IMO there is plenty of room for him in the Ravens Ring of Honor.
    He talked alot and sometimes too much, but years from now, he should be remembered fondly by team and fans alike.
    It would be cool if they could let him play in the game that he retires a Raven in. He is done and that wont happen but would be cool

Mason was simply the best receiver in Ravens history. He deserves to retire as a Raven, and belongs in the ROH.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    mason was simply the best receiver in ravens history. He deserves to retire as a raven, and belongs in the roh.
    no freakin brainer!

Being the greatest Raven receiver isn't exactly an accomplishment though is it? It's sort of like being the sexiest ugly chick or tallest midget. You might be the big fish, but you're swimming in an awfully small pond.

Mase was a good player, but if he's ROH worthy then so are guys like Edwin Mulitalo (the best LG in team history!) and Jamie Sharper (the best 4-3 SAM backer in team history!)

He was good, but his diva act and the fact that he was never viewed as a top 5 at his position type of guy says to me that he doesn't belong in the Ring.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Not sure how this got turned into a ROH type of thing.

No, I don't think he should be in there.

But there is no problem with signing a one day contract and retiring as a Raven. And no, it doesn't require a halftime ceremony or a press conference...although the press conference would be likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

But there is no problem with signing a one day contract and retiring as a Raven. And no, it doesn't require a halftime ceremony or a press conference...although the press conference would be likely.

Nail on the head!

Agreed.

Yes, from a statistical perspective, he was the best receiver we have ever had. But as others have stated, that's not saying much. Ten years down the road, when other receivers have eclipsed his stats, we will all look back and think of him as an almost Ernest Byner like addition to the RoH.

His actions alone, IMO, at the Carolina game two years ago excludes him from the RoH.

:word

I, too, have no problem with him retiring as a Ravens, if that's what he and the team want to do, but I don't see him as ROH worthy. I've always been a bit more stringent in my criteria for the ROH, but I just don't see how 5 years makes him ROH-worthy. He was never amongst the top WRs stats-wise nor did he ever earn a Pro-Bowl berth. Yes, he was a great Raven (and thank God for him), but IMO, you've got to be more than that to make the ROH. You've got to be one of the better players at your position during your time with the team.

But, again, maybe I'm too strict. I don't think McCrary belongs in (and I often wore a Mac jersey when he was here) nor do I think Jamal should be there.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    That's great! He played like a Raven and deserves to retire as one. I'll never forget him coming back into the game in Dallas game with a fucked up ass shoulder and still making plays.
    I agree, whole heartedly. When rooks come on, they should show them THAT game tape. Derrick Mason personifies that mantra and I think it's an honor for him to want to go out in purple.