Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Our Secondary: Coming to a Milk Carton Near You

I recall so many fans in the off-season saying how this is the deepest Secondary in the NFL and how excited everyone was with the addition of Foxworth and Carr. From the time we signed Foxworth for $27m, I knew that was a mistake. He is not a proven starter. As for Carr, he was known for his punt returns, but was never a good corner. I don't know what's up with Landry, he is looking lost. Nakamura can probably step in for Landry, I don't think Zibby is ready. Other than Reed and Rolle (who most likely won't be back), the Ravens have no proven DB's. My crystal ball saw this coming.

Re: Our Secondary: Coming to a Milk Carton Near You

I really think that two switches should be made as far as our secondary:

1. Ladrius Webb should be a factor, I don't care who you sub him for: Washington, Foxworth, Walker, or Carr, he's not going to be worse than they have been.

2. Haruki Nakamura should start ahead of Landry. Again, he's not going to play any worse than Landry has.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Watching the game I felt that the Vikings could throw downfield on us at will.

The reason they didn't for much of the game was because they had a good lead and didn't want to risk a pick. As soon as they needed a big gainer they just dialed one up. Simple as that.

It's also the pass rush or lack of a pass rush. It seems like the percentage of time that someone gets through the protection relatively untouched has dropped. Maybe we're just not scheming them up right or disguising them as well as needs be.

Also: Bruce Laird was saying on Monday Morning QB that in those situations where there is the possibility of a "pick" play (remember the TD where Carr and Fabian got torched) that at least one CB should be pressing on the line trying to knock his receiver off route and to the outside. Makes sense. He was surprised too that the Ravens didn't try and press and bump more on the line of scrimmage overall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CoverD View Post
    I really think that two switches should be made as far as our secondary:

1. Ladrius Webb should be a factor, I don't care who you sub him for: Washington, Foxworth, Walker, or Carr, he's not going to be worse than they have been.

2. Haruki Nakamura should start ahead of Landry. Again, he's not going to play any worse than Landry has.
    Agree completely with the first and would like to see how Haruki responds as a SS. He has a good knack for being around the ball in the open field but he is undersized and could be a liability in the run game.

I think that even though Nakamura is undersized, he'd still be a help in the passing game, which is where we need help the most on defense. Take a comparison of Leonhard and Nakamura:

Nakamura - 5'10" 205 lbs.
    Leonhard - 5'8" 185 lbs.

I think that despite being on the smaller side, Nakamura could make some big plays, even Leonhard made some great plays on running backs/run game in general if I'm not mistaken. I thought he was one player that contributed to a fumble by the Titans in the playoff game on their RB. And since Nakamura is bigger than Leonhard, I believe that he can do a bit more damage.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

It's not just size, Harvin is way bigger than Webb but Webb stopped him and fought him long enough to have help come in to make the tackle. Landry can tackle when he don't whiff. Leonard was not a great tackler, he made his fair share but is just under sized but what he did well was atleast make an attempt and he slowed the player long enough for help to come make the tackle. He disrupted the plays. How many times did Jimmy get into the back field and disrupt the play, how many times was Jimmy in position to make the WR react to catching the ball or make a hit as soon as he did and he is still doing it with the Jets, he plays with heart and determination. I see the some of the same traits in Nakamura, he plays with heart and is always around the ball, when giving the chance. Landry has whiffs on some big plays and has been out of position on some big plays and is just not disrupting or even around to disrupt plays.
    Farve said he was avoiding Reed all day, so how is that Landry can't be in position to make a play or put some fear in the WR's heart.

Exactly ScoNo, I don't think that size is a big factor, I was just making a comparison for Dave Lap to show that Nakamura could still play the position well.

Landry ever since the injury has seemed out of sorts and afraid of taking down some defenders. I think that Nakamura, who would be proving why he deserves a starting spot, would be more likely to give everything he has and make the big plays when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by CoverD View Post
    Exactly ScoNo, I don't think that size is a big factor, I was just making a comparison for Dave Lap to show that Nakamura could still play the position well.

Landry ever since the injury has seemed out of sorts and afraid of taking down some defenders. I think that Nakamura, who would be proving why he deserves a starting spot, would be more likely to give everything he has and make the big plays when necessary.
    And you make some good points. I thought Leonhard and Nakamura were the same size. Didn't realize Haruki is slightly bigger.

I was basing my evaluation of Nakamura's run support abilities by watching him last year on special teams. There were a couple of times he failed to make the tackle and instead seemed to "bounce" off the ball carrier.

They may have just been flukes on Haruki's part. Or I may be unfairly judging him on a couple of missed tackles.

He does have a knack for being around the ball when it's thrown into the secondary and we sure could use that skill on D right now.

Blog Entries

O I agree, i was just spreading some lime light and giving some input on the players. I think Nakamura should get a shot, what is the worst that can happen he gets torched or out of postion. If that happens atleast we can say well that didn't work, but just do something. Cause as it stands we are getting torched now. It's hard to tell who's man Shincoe was on that TD play where Landry just stared at him, but either McClain or Landry was out of position and normally the LB plays the run and the Safty covers the back, but Landry stared at him for atleast 3 seconds before the pass and did not react.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    And you make some good points. I thought Leonhard and Nakamura were the same size. Didn't realize Haruki is slightly bigger.

I was basing my evaluation of Nakamura's run support abilities by watching him last year on special teams. There were a couple of times he failed to make the tackle and instead seemed to "bounce" off the ball carrier.

They may have just been flukes on Haruki's part. Or I may be unfairly judging him on a couple of missed tackles.

He does have a knack for being around the ball when it's thrown into the secondary and we sure could use that skill on D right now.
    I think covering kickoffs and covering/tackling on D are somewhat different, covering KO's you run full speed to get to the ball carrier and if you over persue you whiff, Webb does it alot now, it would be nice if Webb gets there and makes the tackle, but atleast he makes the returner adjust his lane and or gets a hand on him to slow him enough for the next man to lay the whally whap on his ass. Tackling skills come as you continue to do it and grow confidence, on KO's it's probaly more blood pumping and heart racing to see who can lay the biggest hit and the returner has blockers and is usually already full speed. He will probaly miss some tackles and he will probaly whiff a few but atleast he will not hesitate to get to the ball, he has a nose for the ball from what i've seen.
    That's why Bredon is always a special teams ace, he doesn't get there first he fills the gap and cleans up the trash.