Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What a horrible call: The "Brady" treatment reaches a new level (merged)

Ridiculous call. If they want to call things like that, then make those calls challengeable.

The reffing in that game was detrimental to both teams, not just the Skins.

At one point, Rex scramble out of the pocket and is chased by a Pats defensive player. The defensive player dives to make the tackle and manages to get Rex in the legs.

He gets flagged for diving at a defenseless QB's legs.

Blog Entries

I think you guys need to learn the rules, it's not a horrible call, once the QB starts to slide you can't hit him, certainly not like that, the play is dead when he starts to slide.

I couldn't find the NFL rulebook online (at work) but I did find this in the Wiki:

to protect himself from violent hits by opponents attempting to tackle him, the quarterback may choose to slide to the ground feet-first. This slide is interpreted as intentionally downing the ball, and opponents may then be penalized for hitting him.
    Maybe if Fletcher didn't come in on him like a rocket it wouldn't have been flagged, but certainly a legit call. The explanation is bogus - should have been a late hit - but it is a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think you guys need to learn the rules, it's not a horrible call, once the QB starts to slide you can't hit him, certainly not like that, the play is dead when he starts to slide.
    Had this been a "normal" QB, the problem with the call would have been that the QB started his slide and at almost the same moment the defender was making the hit. So, if watched in slow-mo replay, I think the rule was technically enforced correctly, I don't think that it was called correctly in the spirit of the rule...again, for any "normal" QB.

But, this is not a "normal" QB and Fletcher (and all defenders) should know better. So that is why I blame Fletcher more than the officials. You just cannot give Brady a hard hit...it will draw a flag every time.
    Last edited by PeterB58; 12-12-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post

I couldn't find the NFL rulebook online (at work) but I did find this in the Wiki:

to protect himself from violent hits by opponents attempting to tackle him, the quarterback may choose to slide to the ground feet-first. This slide is interpreted as intentionally downing the ball, and opponents may then be penalized for hitting him.
    Maybe if Fletcher didn't come in on him like a rocket it wouldn't have been flagged, but certainly a legit call. The explanation is bogus - should have been a late hit - but it is a penalty.
    According to the NFL Rulebook, the play isn't dead until:
    "..a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet"

Re-watch the video at the :49 mark - No part of Brady's body touched the ground until after Fletcher made contact. The play was still live.

More importantly, the rules also specifically address a defender's responsibility once a player initiates his slide:

"A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide. This does not mean that all contact by
    a defender is illegal. If a defender has already committed himself, and the contact is unavoidable, it is
    not a foul unless the defender commits some other act, such as helmet-to-helmet contact or by
    driving his forearm or shoulder into the head or neck area of the runner.

(2) A runner who desires to take advantage of this protection is responsible for starting his slide before
    contact by a defensive player is imminent; if he does not, and waits until the last moment to begin his
    slide, he puts himself in jeopardy of being contacted.
    "

To me, it seems very clear that Brady started his slide way to late to expect Fletcher to be able to avoid contact.

And I'm not sure that's the issue anyway, since I don't buy the post-hoc rationalization that the refs, after conferring for a full minute, "misspoke" and named the wrong penalty. They didn't flag him for a late hit, because it wasn't. I believe they called what they meant to call - contact to the helmet, even though there wasn't any.

Either way, the call was (IMO) clearly horrible.

ETA: You might want to reconsider using Wikipedia as a source: Here's the link to the NFL Rule Book:

http://www.blogandtackle.net/wp-cont...FLRuleBook.pdf
    Last edited by MarkS; 12-12-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Re: Brady rule expanded

The NFL is getting unwatchable......

Then in the vikes/Lions game, on the last play of the game the Vikings QB (can't think of his name) had his facemask grabbed and yanked, but NO call. I understand the refs are human and errors can be made, but each week gets worse.

Re: Brady rule expanded

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    The NFL is getting unwatchable......

Then in the vikes/Lions game, on the last play of the game the Vikings QB (can't think of his name) had his facemask grabbed and yanked, but NO call. I understand the refs are human and errors can be made, but each week gets worse.
    Yeah that missed facemask call might be the worst from yesterday. How can the refs miss that? It was on the qb in open space. As John Madden would say, " He got up looking through his ear hole." lol

8. Re: What a horrible call: The "Brady" treatment reaches a new level (merged)

Fletcher should have gotten a flag for not hitting him harder :D

Re: The "Brady" treatment reaches a new level

Quote Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRaven View Post
    wow...pisses me off so bad...ridiculous...I hope we play them in the AFC Champ game in OUR house so Suggs can light him up
    Is Suggs even looks at Brady in a mean way the flags are going to fly. It's in the rules, you can't hit Tom Brady.