Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: liberal media?

liberal media?

I would have to say the concept of "liberal media" has taken a significant blow with CBS admitting they edited out McCain's statement indicating his lack of knowledge of the surge - when and where it occurred - and in its place, editing in McCain's now tiring statement about Obama not understanding the war in Iraq.

While the rest of the media was covering the fact that CBS edited McCain, Faux News had Hannity doing his best in an "exclusive" interview" with McCain trying to repair his image as the best solution for Commander in Chief. Even Hannity looked uncomfortable and very contrived in the interview with McCain.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200807230001?f=h_top

Re: liberal media?

One, Media Matters has an agenda just like Media Research Center (www.mrc.org). To use them as some difnitive source would be the same thing if I used the MRC.

Also, Media Matters routinely uses examples of opinon based shows as examples of a right wing bias in the media. They say that since shows like Rush, O'Reilly, etc have success, their must be right-wing bias. They are opnion shows and not the news. MRC, and those of us who firmly believe in the liberal bias, point out news sources who claim to be impartial and expose their natural and unintentional bias.

When Obama has a press corp of 25-30 reporters when in contrast McCain only gets one or two members of the MSM, thats an example of a long host of examples that show the obvious bias Dems get year after year.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/7.../346/97/555179

When the editor of Newsweek, Evan Thomas, comes out publicly and says that Dems enjoy a 10 point bump in the polls because of that same liberal bias, I tend to agree.

"``Let's talk a little media bias here,'' he said on the PBS program ``Inside Washington'' on July 11. ``The media, I think, want Kerry to win. And I think they're going to portray Kerry and Edwards . . . as being young and dynamic and optimistic and all, there's going to be this glow about them that is going to be worth, collectively, the two of them, that's going to be worth maybe 15 points.'' Just how lopsided is the pro-Kerry bias? When New York Times reporter John Tierney surveyed reporters covering the Democratic National Convention last month, the results were striking.

``We got anonymous answers from 153 journalists, about a third of them based in Washington,'' he wrote on Aug. 1. ``When asked who would be a better president, the journalists from outside the Beltway picked Mr. Kerry 3 to 1, and the ones from Washington favored him 12 to 1. Those results jibe with previous surveys over the past two decades showing that journalists tend to be Democrats, especially the ones based in Washington. Some surveys have found that more than 80 percent of the Beltway press corps votes Democratic.''

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi..._in_the_press/

When Bernard Goldberg (a long time Democrat and Hillary Clinton supporter) gets fired from a job after exposing the bias and documents dozens of examples from his time at CBS, I tend to agree.

When Dan Rather and Mary Mapes use contrived and forged documents, and seek known Bush haters to get their information all at the same time working to undermine the Swift Boats Vets, I tend to agree there is indeed a bias.

FWIW, Hannity isnt a McCain backer. If you listen to his radio show, he has given up on the GOP and is now a registered voter in New York's Constitution Party. He has been a vocal critic against McCain and Bush for years with the same critique I have -- McCain and Bush are not conservative.

So Jesse Helms dies and here is how the MSM describes him and his career"

"During his 30 years in the office, the North Carolina Senator was often controversial and always outspoken....An ultra-rightist, he was elected in the Republican landslide of 1972....In the ’90s, critics branded Helms a bigot for his racially-tinged ads which blasted affirmative action during a campaign against an African-American opponent."
    — NBC’s Martin Savidge in a July 4 Nightly News obituary of former Senator Jesse Helms.

Ok, sounds fair enough and I actually ok with this. It is, afterall, accurate. But note the ommissions on this obit:

"We learned today that former Ohio Senator Howard Metzenbaum has died. His life was the classic American success story. A self-made millionaire, his public career spanned nearly 20 years. And he always fought for the little guy, taking on the oil and insurance industries, often using filibusters to block bills. After leaving the Senate, Metzenbaum stuck to his populist principles, leading the Consumer Federation of America. Howard Metzenbaum was 90 years old."
    — Fill-in anchor Ann Curry on NBC Nightly News, Mar. 13.

Flowery language indeed. And he had his share of critics but not one mention of them.

Must just be coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    LEN SAID:

I would have to admit the "liberal media" took on a significant blow.

=====================================

Man, you're just finding that out?

How about Rather losing his job for putting a false memo about the President on the air? And if it hadn't been for a tiny website getting it to the mainstream media, it never would have been reported by the major networks and print media and Rather would never have been fired.

Years ago Peter Jenkins said himself, we're trained professionals but sometimes we just can't help getting emotional and giving our opinions on the air on whom to vote for. They influenced millions of votes.

In any election, is there any doubt in your mind who Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings voted for when they broadcasted. When Bush won you could see their blood popping through their veins.

But, as Brucie baby always said, "I just don't see it." Of course, he always said he was part of the media.

if you are going to quote me...then declare me ignorant...then on me get the quote right. I didn't say the liberal media...I said the CONCEPTof the liberal media. When CBS edits in favor of McCain I suggest the concept of a liberal media takes a blow.

Play by the rules...read the posts. Its hard enough being the only intelligent, progressive individual here when my posts are actually read with sincerity and reflected upon in earnest but when they are haphazardly read...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    One, Media Matters has an agenda just like Media Research Center (www.mrc.org). To use them as some difnitive source would be the same thing if I used the MRC.
    I understand media matters is left-sided. I just used that link because it ws the first one to pop up if people wanted to read about it. My resource shouldn't really matter in this case because CBS admitted to doing it and apologized saying it was an unfortunate mistake on their part. I am not suggesting that CBS is as conservative as Faux just saying that here again in this case there was a clear attempt to edit McCain to look better than what he was when he is talking about really the cornerstone of his campaign.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

LOL, 90+% of the media votes Democrat, if you don't think that is coming through in their news and reporting you are nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    LOL, 90+% of the media votes Democrat, if you don't think that is coming through in their news and reporting you are nuts.
    Never said it wasn't...what I did say was:

CBS came out and apologized for editing McCain's incorrect comments about the when and where "The Surge" was...you can make the debate about something else if you want. I will try to keep it on point though.

Just because the majority of the media are well-informed and vote progressive doesn't take away the cardinal sin of a media outlet editing a story as poorly as they did. That is not my opinion as it was CBS that apologized and the topic of this thread.

Of course I want to be careful in asking you to discuss the point of the thread but then I would be a liberal telling you how to live your life and digging into those deep pockets of yours. But really stay on point.

HEY LEN:

Wake up and get my quote right. I never said you were ignorant. That's someone else's style. I didn't say anything bad to you and you slammed me when I typed a wrong word in Spanish. At least the person I said it to got me directions to the bathroom in time. Not many around here could type that much.

And you did say "libeal media" and you put it in parens. That's why I just used the term in parens. Geesh.

Get my quote right. I said, Man, are you just finding that out?

More proof of media bias is with the NY TIMES MC CAIN omission.

http://race42008.com/2008/07/21/new-...mas-editorial/

no you didn't say I was ignorant...you told me to "wake up". I wasn't asleep so I interpreted that as ignorance. I will try this again...maybe someone can help if I am being unclear. I understand the fact that the media has always been seen as liberal-biased...I don't need to wake up to understand that.

What I was saying was CBS edited an interview with McCain where he asserted pretty strongly that "the surge" was responsible for what is being called the "Anbar Awakening". The Anbar awakening occurred before the actual "surge" was implemented. So he showed a lack of understanding what "the surge" was all about. Now "the surge" has become the cornerstone of his campaign against Obama. So what are we to think of McCain if he doesn't understand what he is basing his campaign on?

It's kind of like Harbaugh coming into Baltimore and saying how much he always wanted to coach the Colts as a kid and he is really happy he has finally gotten the chance. Some people might be a little confused for sure.

What the post is about is that CBS edited his erroneous comments about "the surge" and replaced them with comments being critical of Obama and his lack of experience understanding the war. My comment which you seem to be reading incorrectly was getting at the idea of is the media really so liberal biased when they completely covered up McCain's gaffe and replaced it with criticism of Obama?

I understand the media has a liberal slant...as do people in education. I could go into the reason why I believe that but would take this post more off track than you have taken it.

Galen Go Take Someone Elses Money Who Works Hard And Give It To Someone Who Didn't Earn It,and Doesn't Deserve It,, Then Burn An American Flag And Cry Because Worthless Thugs Who Savagely Murder People Are On Death Row. Then When You Are Through You Can Declare That Global Warming Exist's Even Though There Is No Factual Evidence To Prove It. "wake Up",???? I Would Rather You Ignorant Fools Just Go To Sleep And Never Wake Up

I never told you to wake up. I simply asked a question.

You did the same in response to Greg:

============================
    Never said it wasn't...what I did say was:
    ============================

You're being very defensive and Greg was right, 90% of media votes democrat.
    oh my god... somebody shoot me. put me out of my misery. You win...you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by LOT"H"TAILGATER View Post
    Galen Go Take Someone Elses Money Who Works Hard And Give It To Someone Who Didn't Earn It,and Doesn't Deserve It,, Then Burn An American Flag And Cry Because Worthless Thugs Who Savagely Murder People Are On Death Row. Then When You Are Through You Can Declare That Global Warming Exist's Even Though There Is No Factual Evidence To Prove It. "wake Up",???? I Would Rather You Ignorant Fools Just Go To Sleep And Never Wake Up
    thank god... there is finally a voice of reason on the political side of the message board.

Du nana nana dun na nana nana

its a grand old flag its a high flying flag

dun nana nana nana

its the red white and blue (don't know the rest)

I am inspired though:happyanim oh ... don't forget about the polar bears... I love them too.

It is a fact that the caribou population doubled due to the pipelines running through alaska. The friction from the oil going through the pipeline created enough heat to trick the caribou into thinking it was mating season.... You are probably the same guy who complains about the high cost of gas but won't let the the oil companies build new refineries. You complain about electric rates but say no to nuclear even though france runs 80% of its electric from these clean sources