Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag for Flacco?

The Browns are the only team that worries me when it comes to this issue. I don't see any other team in that position. The Cardinals owner had a bad reputation. The Bucs have been very cheap at times. The Bills don't have the cap space after spending so much last year. Pretty much every other team has either an established QB, an expensive QB who they like or a young QB they are developing. If it wasn't for the Browns the Ravens could get away with the non-exclusive tag.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Browns are the only team that worries me when it comes to this issue. I don't see any other team in that position. The Cardinals owner had a bad reputation. The Bucs have been very cheap at times. The Bills don't have the cap space after spending so much last year. Pretty much every other team has either an established QB, an expensive QB who they like or a young QB they are developing. If it wasn't for the Browns the Ravens could get away with the non-exclusive tag.
    I still find it highly unlikely the Browns lure him away. Like I said, it'd have to be significantly more money than the Ravens for Joe to even consider it. You think he'd leave this organization over 1-2 million per year to play in a sub-par stadium, with a sub-par facility, in a sub-par town with lesser fans? They'd have to offer like 25-26 per year, which is ridiculous for Flacco. It's not gonna happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    I still find it highly unlikely the Browns lure him away. Like I said, it'd have to be significantly more money than the Ravens for Joe to even consider it. You think he'd leave this organization over 1-2 million per year to play in a sub-par stadium, with a sub-par facility, in a sub-par town with lesser fans? They'd have to offer like 25-26 per year, which is ridiculous for Flacco. It's not gonna happen.
    It wouldn't have to be that much. It would just have to be whatever Flacco is looking for. If the Browns pay his number, which let's assume is $20 million a year with a Brees like $40 million guaranteed, and the Ravens instead offer him a 1 year Franchise tag with $14 million guaranteed, which would he take? $40 is a hell of a lot more than $14. If the Ravens aren't willing to pay Flacco what he wants after winning the Super Bowl, being the MVP and 8 TDs with no picks in the playoffs this year then they never will.

Flacco is going to have a tough time topping that. He'd be nuts not to take the money because his value will most likely never be higher. Not too many players would risk losing $100+ million for a 1 year $14 million deal with the promise to try and come to a deal in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    it would be such a major PR blunder that would infuriate the fan base.
    After all the flack and bad blood over letting Trent Dilfer go after winning the superbowl, who wasn't even the reason we won in the first place like Joe was, the Ravens will take no chance that they lose their 2nd SB winning QB.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It wouldn't have to be that much. It would just have to be whatever Flacco is looking for. If the Browns pay his number, which let's assume is $20 million a year with a Brees like $40 million guaranteed, and the Ravens instead offer him a 1 year Franchise tag with $14 million guaranteed, which would he take? $40 is a hell of a lot more than $14. If the Ravens aren't willing to pay Flacco what he wants after winning the Super Bowl, being the MVP and 8 TDs with no picks in the playoffs this year then they never will.

Flacco is going to have a tough time topping that. He'd be nuts not to take the money because his value will most likely never be higher. Not too many players would risk losing $100+ million for a 1 year $14 million deal with the promise to try and come to a deal in the future.
    I think you're buying too much into the media speculation that the Browns are poised to snatch Joe from the Ravens. Do you honestly think the scenario you described will be reached? Everyone and their grandmother knows how important it is for Joe and the Ravens to reach a deal in the next month or so. It will get done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I think you're buying too much into the media speculation that the Browns are poised to snatch Joe from the Ravens. Do you honestly think the scenario you described will be reached? Everyone and their grandmother knows how important it is for Joe and the Ravens to reach a deal in the next month or so. It will get done.
    The premise of this thread is Joe getting tagged. If the deal gets done there will be no reason for a tag. This is more of a reason why the Ravens should get a deal done before free agency begins.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    As awesome as Flacco's post-season run is, the guy is not on the Brees/Rodgers/Peyton/Brady level where he can turn a crap team into a Super Bowl contender. With a good o-line and good weapons he can go all the way, but without the right supporting cast we get games like last year's against Jacksonville or this year against Kansas City, Houston or Denver.
    Ok, I think it's time to put this statement to rest once and for all. How is it that we forget how putrid this offense was before Flacco. How many AFC Championship games did Elvis Grbac, Jeff Blake, Chris Redman, Kyle Boller, Scott Mitchell, and even Steve McNair get us too? Hell, how many playoff years did we have with that crew? We talk like Joe Flacco inherited this great offense and all he needed to do was hand the ball off all day long. No matter how good our defense was until the last year or two, that certainly didn't stop the team from having years of 9-7, 5-11, 6-10, @ 7-9 records. Flacco's QB play was just as much a factor in the last 5 years of being in the playoffs and going to 3 AFCC games as anyone else on that team. And that's with being hamstrung by Cam Cameron's offense.

If you want to make the case that Peyton Manning made the Colts better, that is certainly true. If you want to say Drew Brees made the Saints better after being unshackled himself from Cam Cameron and a bad situation in San Diego, that is also true. Aaron Rodgers though was handed a good team that had far more good years and playoff years than bad. But he still has made that team a contender and won a SB and MVP.

But Joe Flacco has done the same thing to his team, and had to get thrown into the fire from the start. And he's won a SB faster than Manning, and if we are only counting years they started and not from draft year as fast as Brees.

So, I think it's time to put him up in that echelon now.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    After all the flack and bad blood over letting Trent Dilfer go after winning the superbowl, who wasn't even the reason we won in the first place like Joe was, the Ravens will take no chance that they lose their 2nd SB winning QB.
    I agree so much on this. The non-exclusive would be a *gamble*, and in no way is Ozzie or Steve going to gamble here.

Blog Entries

How many ridiculous FA acquisitions and trades do we need to see before we believe that one, out of thirty two NFL teams, would force the Ravens hand on this, for a Super Bowl MVP QB, just entering his prime, who had the greatest individual playoff run since Joe Montana, after claiming himself the best and turning down a previous offer?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Still Wacco for Flacco! Joe gets paid and no tag at all. Ravens are on a mission to win the most SBs in one QB's playing career. His SB record is underway and it will be awesome to see him win 2 or 3 more. It will be the best money spent for a player in NFL history. Talking heads will be losing their minds watching what Flacco will accomplish in the next 10 years. Move over GI Joe, the Joe Flacco toy will be a number one seller(of course the Ravens have all the rights to it per contract). Ravens recoup their money on Joe Flacco dolls alone. Come on now, I bet everyone on Russell Street buys at least one or more. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I agree so much on this. The non-exclusive would be a *gamble*, and in no way is Ozzie or Steve going to gamble here.
    Technically the Ravens can use the exclusive franchise tag at the cost of a non-exclusive one until a week before the draft but of course it's in their best interest to reach a deal by March 4th.

Blog Entries

Flacco is going to get paid in the next week stop worrying about it.

He will get signed, and will enable us to make some moves with other areas on our roster.