Page 1 of 19 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Baltimore Ravens should heavily pursue a new OC and DC for 2014.

The defense is playing well and, honestly, many of us expected that to happen. Most outside of the area focused on the loses while, within the area, we focused on the reality of the situation: The 2012 Ravens defense was the worst defense they'd had in over ten years. They are a more athletic unit now and there only areas of struggle seem to be in the fourth quarter and with some basics. This is probably the first year we've seen a Ravens defense have trouble with screen passes in a long time.

However, the talent is there for this group to be dominant and we all agree that while Dean Pees is a good Defensive Coordinator, his style does not mesh as well with the identity of Ravens defense, as we'd like.

The Ravens have traditionally played their two ILBs in this manner: One guy creates the mess, the other guy cleans it up. For years, Ray Lewis was the guy to clean up the mess, while players such as Ed Hartwell, Bart Scott and Dannell Ellerbe played the role of the guy who creates the mess.

However, the Ravens are now in a situation where, if they bring back Daryl Smith, he and Arthur Brown both fill the same role, putting you in the same situation as this year. I think the Ravens need a DC who can find a way to put both of these guys on the field at the same time, and not have to wait until they go into their lighter packages to do so.

The Ravens also need a DC who is more naturally aggressive and better at creating pressure with the blitz. You can tell that when Dean Pees is forced to send pressure, he is out of his element. Which is why the blitzes, in my opinion, are so easily picked up.

On offense, this system needs to go. The routes are rounded out, there's very little success with the short passing game to take pressure off of the offensive line, or help get either Flacco or the WRs into a rhythm, because the system is TOO vertical.

We all agree that Flacco's strength is throwing beyond fifteen yards. He has improved his pocket awareness and presence, and is doing an even better job of extending plays. The problem is that he's having to do so too much, because WRs are not getting open. A part of that is the WRs, another part of that is the scheme.

With Joe Flacco's talents, this should be a pass first system, where the run can be set up off of it. It shouldn't be so dependent on the run.

The two obvious choices right now are Ted Monachino and Gary Kubiak. Monachino has been a guy whose interviewed for the position and ended up the second choice. I think it's his time now to bring some new creativity to this defense, and revitalize its aggression.

Gary Kubiak has done more with less, than most OCs you will find. They were pulling RBs off the street to run for 1,000 yards when he was in Denver. He turned Matt Schaub, a backup QB from Atlanta, into a Pro Bowler, and actually got a good handful of years out of him. He pulled Arian Foster out as a UDFA and turned him into one of the best backs in the league.

Watching the Texans system, they do a much better job of getting WRs open more quickly, within that seven yard range. I believe Kubiak could bring his system over, and maintain a certain amount of vertical elements to suit Joe's strength, while improving his quickness at releasing the football and helping the WRs get open.

The Ravens have put themselves in a bind where quality receiving prospects are passing them by in the draft, because they don't fit into the current system. This system does not work without two burners on the outside. A change in the system and an OC that presents more versatility, opens up more opportunities for different talent. How many of us have any doubt that Kubiak would know how to use a 'Juice', or get Torrey open more often?

The only issue with Kubiak is that he is a zone blocking guy. They'd have to find guys to fit that system. However, having one voice could potentially help matters, compared to having two different voices and a three way rift between assistants (Montgomery, Moeller and Castillo).

If Kubiak could do what he did with Schaub, imagine what he could do with Flacco, a developing Marlon Brown in the slot, a Torrey Smith going deep, a Dennis Pitta and some possible draft picks?

What say you? Do you agree that we need a change on both sides?
    Do you feel that we only need a change on one side and what side would that be?
    Do you feel that these are the right two guys for the job?
    Do you have any other coaches in mind?

Speak!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: The Baltimore Ravens should heavily pursue a new OC and DC for 2014.

This is such a difficult question to really answer.

On one hand, Caldwell isn't really at fault with Pitta getting hurt, Gino's struggles, KO's injury, Yanda's injury, Jacoby's injury and Rice's injury.

However, I just don't think there is a good feel when it comes to play calling during the actual game. This was one of the reasons why the Cowboys brought in Bill Callahan to take over calling the plays from Jason Garrett. The offensive design was fine, but the play calling was lacking.

Defensively, I think we have the personnel for a swarming, attacking defense...but Pees just doesn't seem to want to call that type of a game plan very often.

Again though...who?

How do we know that Caldwell's offense wouldn't have been bad ass with a healthy OL, Pitta and Jacoby all season?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Two good choices.
    However, unless the current coordinators decide to leave on their own, the Ravens are not going to get rid of either.

Blog Entries

Rex Ryan, maybe? ;)
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Can we just wait until after we win another superbowl before our coaches are snatched by another team? Only then will we be in full search mode:)

Blog Entries

I think it's tough to call for replacing either of them. I disagree that Pees doesn't have the defense playing to its talent level. Brown is a rookie. I don't think it's horrifying that other, more veteran linebackers are getting time on the field over him.

On offense, there've been a lot of problems. While I'd like to see more quick passes, especially early in the game, and more run plays that attack the edges, I couldn't say with confidence that Caldwell is wrong for not calling them. I'm not at practice. I don't see if they try to them there and they don't work. If the players don't execute even the Annexation of Puerto Rico is going to be a dud.

Blog Entries

I've seen Caldwell in a list of names for potential head coaching spots in 2014. Doubtful. I just want more variety and open mindedness on offense.

Kubiak is an interesting option. I've heard him get a lot of praise for always finding ways to get Andre Johnson wide-ass open even though he's one of the best receivers in the league and should be blanketed at all times. And their TEs have always been really effective. He could probably do some great things with Pitta and Torrey.

But then again when everything was falling apart in Houston this year I heard a lot of people trash him for running a simplistic, vanilla scheme that was easy for defenses to key on (hence the pick-sixes).

Who knows where the reality is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    This is such a difficult question to really answer.

On one hand, Caldwell isn't really at fault with Pitta getting hurt, Gino's struggles, KO's injury, Yanda's injury, Jacoby's injury and Rice's injury.

However, I just don't think there is a good feel when it comes to play calling during the actual game. This was one of the reasons why the Cowboys brought in Bill Callahan to take over calling the plays from Jason Garrett. The offensive design was fine, but the play calling was lacking.

Defensively, I think we have the personnel for a swarming, attacking defense...but Pees just doesn't seem to want to call that type of a game plan very often.

Again though...who?

How do we know that Caldwell's offense wouldn't have been bad ass with a healthy OL, Pitta and Jacoby all season?
    One point I am trying to make, to feed off of your question, is not so much that the offense wouldn't have been very good without the injuries you mentioned, but that it's not set up enough to offset such issues. I believe a more versatile system could have helped weather the storm better.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    Rex Ryan, maybe? ;)
    I think we've all been over the reasons why it won't happen, but Rex with Suggs, Dumervil, Ngata and Jimmy Smith? One can dream.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Can we just wait until after we win another superbowl before our coaches are snatched by another team? Only then will we be in full search mode:)
    That might be the only way they are snatched up. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    unless the current coordinators decide to leave on their own, the Ravens are not going to get rid of either.
    This. Harbs is not going to fire both coordinators. The only was either is replaced, IMO, is if they decide to leave on their own (like Mattison).

So funny how fickle everyone is. This time last year everything was Cam Cameron's fault and Caldwell was the savior and our offense was going to break records going forward.