Dolphin's Sparano fired

Didn't see this coming. Jeff Ireland will return.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eturn/related/

Blog Entries
    New owner would have done this a while ago but they kept on winning. Tony is a good coach. Eventually he'll get another shot.

Blog Entries

Re: Dolphin's Sparano fired

I've never seen players on a losing team take up for their coach like Miami's players have been taking up for him. But that owner apparently wants a splash big name coach. Good luck getting one with no QB.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I've never seen players on a losing team take up for their coach like Miami's players have been taking up for him. But that owner apparently wants a splash big name coach. Good luck getting one with no QB.
    If they lose out they could get RGIII or Matt Barkley.

Blog Entries

There may be a lot of players to go with him. They missed on a quarterback and spent two second round picks on Brandon Marshall, who has been a disappointment.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

A lot of people would love to live in Miami. They'll draft the second best QB out there or maybe even trade the farm for Luck. I doubt they'd have a problem getting a name coach as long as they were willing to give him the real power and not work for Ireland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    A lot of people would love to live in Miami. They'll draft the second best QB out there or maybe even trade the farm for Luck. I doubt they'd have a problem getting a name coach as long as they were willing to give him the real power and not work for Ireland.
    I think your last sentence is the key; if a Cowher, Gruden type looks at this and Ireland is still in place and no franchise QB, why would they take it? As long as he is there (Ireland) I think it diminishes the interest of the top names.
    Then again Cowher has already been out of football for a few years and I'm wondering if he'll come back now. Other than Dick Vermiel I can't think of a coach who was out for several years and came back.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I think your last sentence is the key; if a Cowher, Gruden type looks at this and Ireland is still in place and no franchise QB, why would they take it? As long as he is there (Ireland) I think it diminishes the interest of the top names.
    Then again Cowher has already been out of football for a few years and I'm wondering if he'll come back now. Other than Dick Vermiel I can't think of a coach who was out for several years and came back.
    Bill Parcells took a couple of years off between the Giants and Patriots and then again between the Jets and Cowboys jobs. Joe Gibbs was in the Vermeil camp and was out of football forever before he came back. Marv Levy was out for 4 years between the Chiefs and Bills jobs.

Cowher and Gruden aren't anywhere as good as those legendary coaches but I do think both would coach again for the right money. No TV job is going to pay anywhere close to what they get to coach. I once heard John Madden say that if they paid coaches back in his day even a fraction of what they are paid today he would have taken some of the jobs that were offered to him over the years.