Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jaguars radio guy fawning over the Ravens

Work during the week in Florida and in JAX tonight and went to a function MC'd by Brian Sexton, Jags play-by-play guy. After he came off stage my co-worker who knows him well asked if I wanted to meet him and says, "trust me, he'll talk football for hours if you want".

So my co-worker introduces me and tells Brian I'm from Baltimore. So for the next few minutes or so Brian fawned over how great of a front office we have, how jealous he is of us winning the rings this year.. Also says that Shad Khan wants to model drafting and building a franchise after the way Ozzie has done with the Ravens. Really cool to hear this stuff coming from someone close to another NFL team.

He made a couple funny comments about how painful it has been to call Jags games the last few years but that he trusted their new coach and GM to turn things around.

Blog Entries
    Can't blame him. I do think the new owner wants to do things the right way and build a winner. Just not sure they'll ever get it done.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Jaguars radio guy fawning over the Ravens

I wish the best for the Jags, but they just don't have the foundation built to ever be like the Ravens IMO. Its really hard to build a team in the salary cap era without mass spending in one offseason like what the Phins did which is never a really good solution and can lead to major issues down the line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Work during the week in Florida and in JAX tonight and went to a function MC'd by Brian Sexton, Jags play-by-play guy. After he came off stage my co-worker who knows him well asked if I wanted to meet him and says, "trust me, he'll talk football for hours if you want".

So my co-worker introduces me and tells Brian I'm from Baltimore. So for the next few minutes or so Brian fawned over how great of a front office we have, how jealous he is of us winning the rings this year.. Also says that Shad Khan wants to model drafting and building a franchise after the way Ozzie has done with the Ravens. Really cool to hear this stuff coming from someone close to another NFL team.

He made a couple funny comments about how painful it has been to call Jags games the last few years but that he trusted their new coach and GM to turn things around.

He's the second owner who said he's emulating his team after the Ravens and it's not just for this Super Bowl. It's for that plus getting into all of those playoffs over the past decade and getting in the POs the last 5 years with this being the 6th year. No other team has done that.

Jerry Jones was the last owner to say that. Well, all he has to do is STFU and let his daughter run the team. She's already being called the most powerful woman in the NFL and on it's most important comittee. She also chairs the most important advisory committee of the Salvation Army.

She'll take over the Boyz when Jerry dies and she'll be damn good. Her first job with the Boyz was to stop her father from losing $75,000 pr day when he over-extended himself to
    buy the team and the stadium. He put her in an empty office and said stop it and she did.

Back to the Jags, does anyone know how much he paid for them? Most teams are worth $1B as the Ravens are but there's no way the JAGs could be worth that especially with all those empty seats.

Weaver got out because he was losing money and many thought he would move the team but never did. He sold instead.

What a gal.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...men-in-nfl.ece
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-17-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

Back to the Jags, does anyone know how much he paid for them? Most teams are worth $1B as the Ravens are but there's no way the JAGs could be worth that especially with all those empty seats.

Weaver got out because he was losing money and many thought he would move the team but never did. He sold instead.
    Khan paid $770 million for the Jags. With zero investors and zero debt I might add. Just showed up and wrote a check for $770 mil and the Weavers walked away laughing their asses off.

Khan had tried to buy majority stake in the Rams the year before he bought the Jags. Rosenbloom's kid was ready to sell, but the minority owner Kroenke had first dibs on matching any offier for majority ownership and matched Khan's offer.

He's turned into a local celebrity here and parks his 225' yacht in front of the Hyatt Regency where I stay when I'm here.

I have no love for the Jaguars or Panthers, since they kept Baltimore from getting a true expansion team,and the city had to take Clevelands team. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ravens, but St. Louis and Baltimore should have gotten the teams that went to Jacksonville and Carolina. If we had there would still be a team in Los Angeles, and the Browns would never have missed 3 years of football.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I have no love for the Jaguars or Panthers, since they kept Baltimore from getting a true expansion team,and the city had to take Clevelands team. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ravens, but St. Louis and Baltimore should have gotten the teams that went to Jacksonville and Carolina. If we had there would still be a team in Los Angeles, and the Browns would never have missed 3 years of football.
    If that had happened, we probably wouldn't have had many play off appearances, let alone SB rings. We inherited a great group of people from Cleveland who managed to install a solid foundation after a few years and built the best defense in the history of football (or one of them along with the 85 Bears team at least), which got us our first SB, everything else pretty much followed on from there. I'm pretty sure none of that would have happened if we got one of the expansion teams.

Blog Entries

We would have done well, maybe not this good but well. Baltimore always had a first
    rate football organization until Irsay took over but he even went to the playoffs here with a strong armed Bert Jones and the sack pack and he hired Accorsi as GM.

Ernie Accorsi would have been the GM of our expansion team. He's the guy who hired
    an unknown Bill Bellicheat from Annapolis and then brought him to Cleve when he was
    the GM there.

Accorsi always said he had Elway signing as GM of the Colts until Irsay traded him
    w/o saying anything.

Accorsi then succeeded his pal George Young and they built the Giant SB teams of
    the 80s. Young discovered Parcells and got him to bring Bellicheat on staff. And Accorsi
    was the GM who built the Giants in SB 35.

NYs current GM with 2 SB rings succeeded Accorsi's winning ways but the foundation was
    already built by the guys from Baltimore.

Make no mistake about it. Baltimore would have had a first class operation had we
    won an expansion team.

But Im glad we got this organization. Art never won the big one til he turned things
    over to Ozzie who got his oats from Bellicheat who got his oats from Accorsi.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-18-2013 at 12:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Wouldn't it be poetic justic that the team who got the expansion bid over us wants to build themselves in our image...

But agreed, this isn't a new thing. The Ravens for being as young as we are, have had a LOT of success that other teams are jealous of. 9 playoff appearances in 17 years. 3 division titles in 17 years. 2 AFC Championships. 2 Super Bowl rings. We have a STABLE front office, a great coaching legacy in terms of our staff getting plucked for other jobs, and an owner that is well known for being calm, well mannered, and having great business savvy. Ozzie has a reputation for not making mistakes when it comes to building a team. Can you name any free agency moves that turned out to be colossal busts in terms of expense? We may all point to guys like Frank Sanders and Elvis Grbac, but they didn't end up costing us all that much. We have no Albert Haynseworth situations where we spent 100mil on a guy we cut 2-3 years later.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Khan paid $770 million for the Jags. With zero investors and zero debt I might add. Just showed up and wrote a check for $770 mil and the Weavers walked away laughing their asses off.

Khan had tried to buy majority stake in the Rams the year before he bought the Jags. Rosenbloom's kid was ready to sell, but the minority owner Kroenke had first dibs on matching any offier for majority ownership and matched Khan's offer.

He's turned into a local celebrity here and parks his 225' yacht in front of the Hyatt Regency where I stay when I'm here.
    Mr. Khan is a brilliant businessman. He came up from nothing and has lived the American dream the way that every immigrant hopes to. What he's going to have to learn though is that the NFL is not like other businesses because he can't personally run it. That's why Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder have failed. He needs to find an expert to run it for him. A lot of owners have a tough time doing that. It's another reason why we are so lucky here. We've had 2 owners who both understood that Ozzie knows more than they ever will and let him run their team. It's not easy to find that guy but somehow the really top franchises over the past decade have done it.

Blog Entries

Thanks, man. Great post. Yea, Weaver must have laughed all the way to the bank but that
    was chump change for the buyer. He's already set up a good organization and will turn things
    around.

Give Weaver credit. He tried to. He tried to hire Phil Savage who turned the job down but
    recommended his pal The Shack, James Harris. Phil also recommended Jack Del Rio as the
    coach and Weaver hired both. They got into the playoffs more than once.

Awarding teams in JAX and Charlotte has kept Tags out of the HOF thus far.

BTW, how much did the Rams get? I wonder why the kid wanted to sell.

Rosey said he made more money in football than anywhere else. He told Irsay in 1972 the
    Colts would be worth $100,000 in 10 years. Irsay bought them for $19M. Today they're
    worth about $1.5B and Jimmy boy is made Forbes top 80 richest Americans list.

And speaking of Jimmy, he literally stopped Rush Limbaugh from buying the Rams when he tried to. He said he'd do everything to block him out of being an owner and Rush dropped
    out of the bidding.

Unlike the devil himself, Jimmy boy is a very influential owner.

They will be a successful franchise when they get a real quarterback.

You aren't going to win anything with Blaine Gabbert

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.