Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

It's about fucking time. It won't be without flaw, but it's a lot better than the joke they have had for years and years and years. Eventually I think it should (and hopefully will) expand to 6 or 8 teams, but let's be honest, the top 4 teams in the old BCS rankings were usually the best four teams in the country. Giving those 4 teams a shot at winning a playoff is a great thing, IMO.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    but you see the problem, right? You know the winner of USC/Oregon gets in and if Michigan beats Ohio St (or however it winds up), they're in. SEC will no doubt get one spot if not two. There are only four spots...
    I'm not following your logic. If the ACC has a strong team with a good record, or if Notre Dame is 11-1, why wouldn't they get in? Sure, the BCS rankings (or whatever it'll be called now) isn't perfect, but there have been ACC schools (and Big East, N.D., etc) in the top four in the past. I don't see why there wouldn't be going forward.

Last year the playoff would've looked like this:

Semi's

1 LSU vs. 4 Stanford
    2 Alabama vs. 3 Oklahoma State

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post

Semi's

1 LSU vs. 4 Stanford
    That's my point! Pac12, Big12, SEC. No room for anyone else. So instead of the one team that felt slighted every few years you're gonna have several teams that feel slighted every year.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

That's my point! Pac12, Big12, SEC. No room for anyone else. So instead of the one team that felt slighted every few years you're gonna have several teams that feel slighted every year.
    Either way, playoff or traditional rankings those left out teams wouldn't get a shot at the National Title anyway unless 1) their records reflect, and 2) their strength of schedule permit it so i'm not sure why making this playoff is a bad thing?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Semi's

1 LSU vs. 4 Stanford
    what rankings were you going off of. Wouldn't have been Oregon or Arkansas?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Either way, playoff or traditional rankings those left out teams wouldn't get a shot at the National Title anyway unless 1) their records reflect, and 2) their strength of schedule permit it so i'm not sure why making this playoff is a bad thing?
    Yeah, I'd be completely against having teams get in just because they're from a conference. That's the problem with the bowls now. A few years ago and 8-4 Uconn played a very good Oklahoma team (who I think lost 1 or 2) and was creamed, but they got in cause the won the big east.

You're either good enough to make the playoff or you're not, conference alone shouldn't be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    what rankings were you going off of. Wouldn't have been Oregon or Arkansas?
    http://www.bcsfootball.org/

According to that link, those were the last rankings before the bowls and BCS championship game. Were you looking at the final, post championship game rankings?

Right, but that was last year. On any given year, there's nothing that precludes the top 4 teams from being in the playoff. I would contend that the law of averages will play out and you'll have different conferences represented often. The SEC is hands down the best conference right now, so they'll be represented as expected, but there's nothing that says the conference can't have a down year. 15 years ago people would've complained that Florida St. and Miami would be in every year, but that changed quite a bit, didn't it?

Blog Entries

http://www.bcsfootball.org/

According to that link, those were the last rankings before the bowls and BCS championship game. Were you looking at the final, post championship game rankings?
    Gotcha, guess I was going off the final results after the bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Yeah, I'd be completely against having teams get in just because they're from a conference. That's the problem with the bowls now. A few years ago and 8-4 Uconn played a very good Oklahoma team (who I think lost 1 or 2) and was creamed, but they got in cause the won the big east.

You're either good enough to make the playoff or you're not, conference alone shouldn't be enough.
    Agreed. I want to see the best four teams, no matter what conference they're from. Sure there will be arguments from the likes of Oregon, Arkansas, etc (last years 5th and 6th ranked teams entering the bowls), but you'll never avoid that. Shoot, just look at the critiques of March Madness every year. If they go to 8 teams, #9 and below will complain. It is what it is. But at least this way, the best handfull of teams in the country get to decide things where it belongs- on the field.

TCU is already a member of the Big 12. Boise State needs to re think its position and join the Big 12. I see the Big 12 as adding teams at least to get back to 12 anyways. I agree with the previous comment, there will be a lot of money thrown out, J Jones will get his share of the title games thats for sure. Just hope it doesnt land in NYC or some other spot no one wants to go to.
    Section 103 Row 7