Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens' Top 3 Team Needs, 2014 Draft and Beyond

I'd agree that TE is a top need, with an asterisk.

If we can bring back Pitta, then it's not something I'd expect us to address until middle rounds. We still have Furstenburg from a developmental perspective, and with this apparently being a weak TE class, he could be as valuable as a middle round TE anyway.

Close second is OL. Any position really. We need tackles, we need Center, heck we could really use Guard. Have to wonder if something is going to happen with Yanda having a top 6 cap number next year and having poor play this year. Whether that's asking him to take a pay cut or restructuring or what...We could use OL all over the place.

Third, I'd put down DB as well. CB more than safety for me though. Huff is turning out to be a poor signing, and Ihedigbo isn't a long term answer at S. I'm more concerned about CB though, because Webb appears to be struggling a bit, and he's got a big cap number next year, could be a cap casualty. Jimmy Smith is getting better, but far from a #1 CB. Behind them is Graham, who is a free agent I think, Chykie Brown, who should never be a starter, and Asa Jackson, who is one strike away from a full season suspension. That is some RIDICULOUSLY thin depth.

I also have to wonder if we should seriously look at a Day 1 or Day 2 RB. Ray Rice is a guy who could be on the outs in a year or two. Pierce is good, but so many teams are a 2 back system nowadays...

I'd also take a look at WR. I like Marlon a lot, but I'm not sold on Doss being a long term contributor. I think Jacoby isn't back next year, and still in a wait and see pattern on Thompson. We still have Mellette, but how much can you count on his development? Possibly could be an either/or between RB and WR. If we choose to have the running game take a back seat going forward, we would want to load up on WR. If we get a good RB, then not as important to get better options at #4 WR
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I agree. I think WR should be a pick every year. It is one of the hardest to scout for and you never know when you're going to land a gem (Marlon Brown) or a disappointment (Clayton). I think WR is just one of those positions, like RB, that should be drafted every year or every other year.

I dont see Jacoby being back next year considering Thompson has been doing ok as a kick returner and Asa Jackson seems to be a pretty solid punt returner.

I will say that I think they'll keep Doss next year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Good thoughts people. My top needs:

1) OT. Maybe we can't sign Monroe. Maybe we don't sign Oher. At this point Wagner is not nearly ready.

2) C Obvious, yes. Probably not in round 1 but a second day pick?

3) Safety. Ihedigbo is better than expected but he's getting old. We need a another young safety to pair with Elam. I am not so worried about CB so I differ with Scallywag there. Webb took awhile to come back from his last ACL; I expect that he will be the Great Webb next year. Definitely I see drafting a CB somewhere though.

4) TE. Specifically an in-line TE since probably Pitta gets resigned and we have Juice to develop. Plus good 'ol Fursty may get a real chance at being a slot TE. How about C.J. Fiedorowicz of Iowa on day 2? Dude can block.

5) WR...I think the jury is out on if this is a need or not. By the end of the year, I am hoping not. The team will be much better off if Brown/Thompson//Doss develop and they've all shown promise.

Blog Entries

Fiedorowicz is my favorite TE in this crop, which is pretty crappy.

He isn't flashy and he doesn't have a lot of upside, but I think you are getting a good starting TE that can be a possession guy and a threat in the red zone (he is. 6'7"). For a collegiate player, he is pretty polished and like you said, Kirk Ferentz knows how to develop blockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Blog Entries

1. TE
    2. C
    3. FS

Fourth would be WR, but I think that Marlon Brown can eventually be really good, and we have a host of other players who are developing nicely.

At TE, I probably like Jace Amaro the best, but if Pitta is retained, I don't see the point in drafting him, he is essentially the same type of player as Pitta. He doesn't really block in Techs' offense, they use him out wide or in the slot. The guy I'd really like to see is Wickeds guy, CJ Fiedorowicz. This monster looks like a speedy right tackle who can catch really well. He has immense strength, and is a very reliable blocker, and hes exactly what we're missing at TE right now, even when Pitta is healthy. Since we cut Heap back in 2011, we haven't really had a traditional, reliable TE who can block, and I think Fiedorowicz can be that guy. There was one play he made against Purdue, where he pancaked a player in the end zone while the ball was in the air, and he turned around to catch it. You could certainly play a two TE set based offense with this guy as your blocking TE, but he is someone you can target on 3rd downs, and he's going to make that tough catch, and he is someone that can definitely compliment Pitta.

At C, Travis Swanson seems to be the favored guy right now, but I really like Bryan Stork. I watched Swanson play LSU last season, and he had some problems against that front. He made some nice plays and started off well in pass pro, but eventually, he started to get pushed back, and gave up a couple of sacks. LSU are a talented front, but I watched Stork against Florida, who arguably had a better front than LSU last season, and he played really well. Stork is listed at 300 lbs at some sites, but other sites have him at 312 lbs, he looks bigger than 300 lbs, and is around 6'4, so he has good size for a center, and is very athletic. I think he's more of a power man blocker, but he can get to the second level, and Florida state like to have him pull quite a bit. IMO, he should be the number 1 rated C in the draft, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go earlier than many people expect. I think he could come in from day 1 and start for the Ravens, and at least be an upgrade over Gradkowski, and AQ Shipley.

At safety, I like Haha Clinton Dix a lot. He is someone that you'd have to take in the first round, but he is that ball hawking FS that we're missing on defense right now. He has great size, and could push Matt Elam back to his natural SS spot, and that could make for a very solid/athletic safety tandem. Dix is definitely a center fielder, but he can come up into the box, and help in run support, he is a big hitter too, a typical elite Alabama prospect. He did take a loan from an Alabama assistant, so there could be some off field issues there to worry about, he was suspended as a result of that decision.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 10-19-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Definite Need
    C
    FS

Center I see as a pretty significant need. FS isn't as dire, but it's definitely an area we could stand to improve.

Maybe a Need
    G
    T
    TE
    MLB

I can see scenarios where everything in the "Maybe a Need" list ends up being OK. I'm not saying how likely they are, but if we're looking at off-season needs in October and November I think we should acknowledge the uncertainty of that evaluation.

G - Yanda catches on w/ Castillo's scheme or we just ditch Castillo. And Osemele comes back healthy.
    T - We somehow resign both Monroe and Oher ... admittedly I think the chances of this are slim
    TE - Resign Pitta who returns to form after recovering from injury.
    MLB - Resign Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown grows into a legit 3-down starter.

The Draft
    We may get a rare opportunity to pick in the top half of the draft. Many of our potential positions of need are positions you don't typically take that early (C, G, MLB, TE, FS). There are some exceptions obviously, but the the only potential need that screams top 15 or *gasp* top 10 is tackle. So in a scenario where we finish with a losing record, I say we hit on some needs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds while going best available or T with our 1st.

If we rally and finish with a winning record than we're likely to have a need position that coincides with one of the BPAs.

But the draft is 6 months away so who knows.

Blog Entries

Even if they re-sign Pitta, they should look at a TE or two in the draft. Who knows how Pitta will come back from that injury and there is also the chance that he'll not be retained (possibly due to the injury).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Even if they re-sign Pitta, they should look at a TE or two in the draft. Who knows how Pitta will come back from that injury and there is also the chance that he'll not be retained (possibly due to the injury).
    Ya. I think we simply need a blocker that can catch. Keep DC's honest. I'd favor a tall fella, so as to give Joe a good interior sight-line. I'd take a guy like a Ebron with better hands, but I like what CJF (Iowa) can bring. Not sexy nor flashy, but he's tough, tall and will demand attention. His lack of stats should keep him well out of the 2nd round...maybe even the 3rd if the position sees a few Combine Commandoes.

I'm looking forward to watching more film on Marcel Jensen (6'5+ 260+ from Fresno State). Another guy with unsexy stats, but Fresno's WRs have 67% of their receptions, so Jensen targets are pretty low.

Adding -- I've only watched 8-10 TE prospects so far, but Illinois' Evan Wilson is the best blocker I've seen. He's definitely 7th round/UDFA territory, but looks to be an in-line bruiser. Five total receptions and two TDs to-date.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 11-13-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

We also have no idea how Matt Furstenburg will impact (or not) either.

I want Odell beckham

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I want Odell beckham
    We have Odell Beckham on the roster right now. His name is Deonte Thompson.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good player. If they want another speedy guy I'd rather them look at Josh Huff out of Oregon. He won't cost them a first or second either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    We have Odell Beckham on the roster right now. His name is Deonte Thompson.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good player. If they want another speedy guy I'd rather them look at Josh Huff out of Oregon. He won't cost them a first or second either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i was thinking second round, if I was taking him. If your taking a wideout round one and you miss on Watkins, lee and Evans, do you take a Matthews round 1? Or a beckham round 2 while addressing a different need round 1