Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TE or WR

Blog Entries

TE or WR

Both are big needs in the offseason, regardless of whether Pitta or Jacoby are re-signed. Due to the cap situation, its one or the other, and I think its much more likely that Pitta returns. Even with Pitta re-signed, I see TE as a big position of need, as we have nobody behind him that can realistically come in from day 1 and contribute in this offense. We have more options at WR, and a host of potentially good players. Torrey Smith is Torrey Smith, and it looks as though Marlon Brown has a nice future, I honestly think his upside is Plaxico Burres (before shooting him self lol). Behind that, without Jacoby, there are more question marks. Will Deonte ever live up to that preseason hype? He has at least made plays when he's had the chance, I don't think its over for him yet, but he needs to stay healthy. Has Tandon Doss reached his limit in the NFL? If this is his limit, he doesn't really belong on this roster IMO.

If we take one of the big athletic TEs in the first two rounds, t he offense could run a two TE set based offense, and would kind of negate that need for a 3rd WR, and you could simply have Deonte play that role as the 3rd WR/KR to replace Jacoby. I think with the way the NFL is headed, having two big TEs with miss matches over the middle, is overall better for the offense in terms of moving the ball, scoring points in the redzone etc... Another reason to go for a TE is because Ozzie obviously has a much better track record of drafting TEs than he does wide outs. We have a significantly better chance of landing someone who can contribute from day 1 at TE, than we do drafting a WR. With where we're likely picking, you're elite receivers will be gone (Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans). On the other hand, there's a very good chance one of the top 3 elite TEs will be available (Ebron, Amaro, Seferian-Jenkins). Those guys, IMO, have a much better chance at succeeding in the NFL than a Marquise Lee does for example.

So what do you guys think? Is TE the way to go? Whoever your prefer out of Evans to Watkins, or Amaro over Ebron, which position are you taking with your top two draft picks?
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 12-15-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Re: TE or WR

Tight end. Simply because two tight ends are harder to defend than 3 wr sets. Also because wideout is deeper we could still get a good one in round 3. Most of are struggles are middle of the field, that where we need the help, which a tight end should excel at

I think we need both, but a tight end early is more beneficial.

Do you think it's possible we could get Seferian-Jenkins in the second? He has some character issues and he could easily be run in the 4.8's. Maybe he could slip like Dwayne Allen did recently. Although Jenkins is also 3 inches taller than Allen so you never know.

I'd say right now though we should go O-line in the first, WR in the second, and a TE like maybe that guy from Iowa in the third.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    Do you think it's possible we could get Seferian-Jenkins in the second? He has some character issues and he could easily be run in the 4.8's. Maybe he could slip like Dwayne Allen did recently. Although Jenkins is also 3 inches taller than Allen so you never know.

I'd say right now though we should go O-line in the first, WR in the second, and a TE like maybe that guy from Iowa in the third.
    I guess its possible, and I'd rather take Jenkins in the 2nd than Amaro or Ebron in the 1st. You're getting better value overall, and Jenkins is by far the best blocker out of the 3, but wont make the plays in the passing game. I guess it could arguably make more sense to go for Jenkins over those guys when we already have Pitta.

If you wait around in the 2nd rd for a TE, you could land one of the LT prospects or get a guy like Stephen Tuitt in the first.

I will say this about Seferian Jenkins though. His attitude is a HUGE red flag to me, that is whats putting me off him. It shows on tape too, he switches off randomly at times on the field, its really frustrating.

One in each of the first two rounds would work for me, assuming the value is right.

My strategy would likely be:

1- if Watkins falls at all, try to trade up for him. Target Fiedorowicz or ASJ (if he falls) with the next pick
    2- if either of Lee or Evans is available when we pick, take him. Target the same two TEs I mentioned in (1) in Round 2.
    3- if none of the top 3 are available, look to move back later in the first or to the early 2nd. Target, in order: Ebron, Amaro, Matthews, Benjamin, Robinson for the first pick. If Ebron or Amaro, target Beckham, Adams, Cooks, Landry with next pick. If one of the WRs, target Fiedorowicz or ASJ.

Blog Entries

TE or WR

Considering receivers like Coleman, Cooks, Adams, Landry, Beckham and Matthews will probably slide into the 2nd round; I am still of the mindset that the first pick should be the best lineman on the board. The only way I say no to that is if we have a shot. At Watkins or Evans.

I totally agree that Joe needs weapons, but he needs time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 12-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Cool Re: TE or WR

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Considering receivers like Coleman, Cooks, Adams, Landry, Beckham and Matthews will probably slide into the 2nd round; I am still of the mindset that the first pick should be the best lineman on the board.

I agree with you 100%. It's a minor miracle that Joe has not suffered a major injury to knock him out for the year yet. He can't be expected to keep this up much longer without better OL support. I don't want to hear about getting a better offensive scheme or different OL coaches. He still needs better players up front.

Whether we keep Monroe or not, they need another Tackle and not pin their hopes on Wagner who was a low level pick. They also need another Guard available and not hope that Jensen will pan out, KO will come back completely from "back" surgery or Yanda will not be either a cap casualty or start to break down with age.

For once this draft is loaded with OT talent both right and left. It also is loaded with OGs and there will be a number of top receivers in the 2nd round to pick from also.

Look at what happened to teams like the Packers this year and teams like the Bears and Steelers in years past with weak OLs. Their QBs got killed!

Get Joe a top notch OT or Guard first and worry about receiver or TE later. Heck, the Ravens could possibly trade down to later in the first round and get a good O lineman and maybe an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder or both and take care of TE, receiver, free safety, ILB or DL needs in those rounds or later.

It's not rocket science. Usually, teams may want to draft a QB first, but smart teams always build the OL and DL first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I agree with you 100%. It's a minor miracle that Joe has not suffered a major injury to knock him out for the year yet. He can't be expected to keep this up much longer without better OL support. I don't want to hear about getting a better offensive scheme or different OL coaches. He still needs better players up front.

Whether we keep Monroe or not, they need another Tackle and not pin their hopes on Wagner who was a low level pick. They also need another Guard available and not hope that Jensen will pan out, KO will come back completely from "back" surgery or Yanda will not be either a cap casualty or start to break down with age.

For once this draft is loaded with OT talent both right and left. It also is loaded with OGs and there will be a number of top receivers in the 2nd round to pick from also.

Look at what happened to teams like the Packers this year and teams like the Bears and Steelers in years past with weak OLs. Their QBs got killed!

Get Joe a top notch OT or Guard first and worry about receiver or TE later. Heck, the Ravens could possibly trade down to later in the first round and get a good O lineman and maybe an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder or both and take care of TE, receiver, free safety, ILB or DL needs in those rounds or later.

It's not rocket science. Usually, teams may want to draft a QB first, but smart teams always build the OL and DL first.
    Well, agree to disagree on scheme...our offensive design sucks.

However, I agree about OL/DL. I def think the Ravens need a legitimate #1 receiver or at least another #1/2 borderline guy like Torrey. I just think the value is there at OT or G.

Definitely there will as much value on both lines as at TE or WR when we pick. Value that we could use, value that is needed-at all the positions. I would be kinda perplexed if we didn't pick a WR by the end of round 3, but I can imagine it because we need help almost everywhere. If I had to choose right now I'd..shit..probably there will be an OT that'd would be a great fit. That would be most likely. Then look WR in round 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Considering receivers like Coleman, Cooks, Adams, Landry, Beckham and Matthews will probably slide into the 2nd round; I am still of the mindset that the first pick should be the best lineman on the board. The only way I say no to that is if we have a shot. At Watkins or Evans.

I'm still racking and stacking, but it's beginning to look to me that the 2nd round is chock full o' talent.

I've noticed some technique issues with Lee's game (catching and body positioning) that will pull him down some on my Board. Very interested in his hand size. Watkins is the only certain 1st rounder that I have right now. I need more time with Evans.

FWIW, I had only one certain first rounder for 2012 and 2013.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm still racking and stacking, but it's beginning to look to me that the 2nd round is chock full o' talent.

I've noticed some technique issues with Lee's game (catching and body positioning) that will pull him down some on my Board. Very interested in his hand size. Watkins is the only certain 1st rounder that I have right now. I need more time with Evans.

FWIW, I had only one certain first rounder for 2012 and 2013.
    Right now I think Watkins and Evans are the only legitimate 1st round receivers. Teams are going to have a hard time passing on Evans' size and clearly Watkins is the best in this class.

I think there are a couple of borderline 1st/2nd round guys like Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Odell Beckham and Marqise Lee.

Then I have guys like Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, Jordan Matthews, Brandon Coleman, Kelvin Benjamin, Paul Richardson, and Jared Abbrederis. I could see Josh Huff and Cody Hoffman moving up into the bottom of round 2 as well.

FWIW, I hate Coleman as a prospect (and Moncrief). High bust potential, IMO. Not a huge fan of Abbrederis either.