Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Troy Smith's Active

Harbaugh:

"We can definitely envision Troy playing and he'll definitely be on the field for us at some stage this season"

Wink Re: Troy Smith's Active

The biggest benefit of having Smith return to active duty is that he helps keep the Ravens salary cap managed. I could see Smith in for trick plays:

• running a wishbone triple option
    • lining up next to Flacco in the shotgun
    • put him in as the slot receiver

Otherwise, he should be just another warm body, available to go in if Baumann is hurt.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Troy Smith's Active

MrT. I see Troy as the #2 not the #3, however I do agree that he will be on some trick plays. I would love to see us use him confuse the D and keep them honest. He will keep our cap open since we will not have a high $ back up sitting on a bench.

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

This will only make our team stronger.

Welcome back Troy

Wink Re: Troy Smith's Active

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever_com View Post
    MrT. I see Troy as the #2 not the #3

If I were Harbaugh, I would want the experienced career backup as my number 2, not the inexperienced soph who brings in a different style of play. Of couse, that would limit using Smith for trick plays unless they wanted to activate all the QBs on game day.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like the Redman and Cunningham situation - no one really knew who was the real #2.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I too would think Bouman would come into the game of Flacco went down. I would think they would hoep Smith could be the backup before the end of the year, but for now. is a gimmick in a helmet.

this was our starting Qb. If he can practice, he will be the #2. He knows the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    this was our starting Qb. If he can practice, he will be the #2. He knows the offense.

Bowman has now been in the offense as long as Troy, and has had much more success in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Bowman has now been in the offense as long as Troy, and has had much more success in the league.
    Troy has started more NFL games in the last 2 years than Todd and thrown a lot more passes. He also had all the starting reps in OTAs, Mini Camp and 1st preseason game.

Troy is the guy if Joe goes down. Todd is the emergency pick up 3rd string back up who may even get cut if Troy is 100% and we have other roster juggling to do.

Thanks coach Cameron, I'm gald you cleared that up... Oh wait...

Claiming that a guy that may have beent he favorite to start over Boller, because Boller's shoulder was torn up, before he lsot 25+ pounds due to a major illness, and has yet to really show anythign on an NFL field at any time, has already leapfrogged a long term backup is a bit presumptuous, don't ya think?

if they had brough in Bauman before the season i may think you could be right. I just do not see it if Troy is close to 90%. He has been at practice for a while now and been the #3. I am not saying I know for a fact, but I would be willing to bet Troy is the #2 this week.

Blog Entries

Two thoughts on this...

1. When Troy is healthy and back to his pre-illness form, he should be the #2. I say this because there is a reason we didn't have competition to sign Bouman. Yes, he's an experienced vet, but he's also not a guy who's going to win a game for you or excite the offense around him. He's a placeholder, a guy who will go out, run the plays Cameron calls, and maybe give some veteran experience. Bouman won't wow you in any aspect. Meanwhile, Troy is a guy the coaching staff believed enough in to give him a shot at starting. He's been in the offense LONGER than Bouman, because he's been here since Cameron was brought in, so that's months, not 5 weeks.

2. Troy should only be the #2 if he outplays Bouman in practice reps. I'm not sure how much he's back to pre-illness form, but if he's still hampered by the illness, he's not playing as well as Bouman is.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!