Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Draft position of last 10 SB winners' LT

Interesting article and contrary to most of the panic attack posts about trading up

http://www.profootballcentral.com/20...-3/#more-15424

Blog Entries

Re: Draft position of last 10 SB winners' LT

TY, definitely interesting.
    There is a link there to part one of the article, also very interesting
    http://www.profootballcentral.com/20...-in-the-draft/

"A total of 26 Tackles were taken in the first round since 2007" Only one to win a SB was moved to RT.
    Part one looks at 6 years so eliminated McKinnie, but covered him by SB teams in your part two link.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

I see a lot of first and second round draft picks. The ones that were lower than that Im not sure were immediate starters. Kind of depends on the draft too. starks for instance was a 3rd round pick but was only the 4th T taken. This year, the 4th T taken could be inside the top 20.

I dont think we need to trade up unless for some reason one of the top 3 drop, which wont happen. outside that i think guys 4-10 are all somewhat similar grades and can be had most likely into the 4th. their impact and ability to start day 1 is questionable. no doubt they could be coached up to eventually be our LT though.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I see a lot of first and second round draft picks. The ones that were lower than that Im not sure were immediate starters. Kind of depends on the draft too. starks for instance was a 3rd round pick but was only the 4th T taken. This year, the 4th T taken could be inside the top 20.

I dont think we need to trade up unless for some reason one of the top 3 drop, which wont happen. outside that i think guys 4-10 are all somewhat similar grades and can be had most likely into the 4th. their impact and ability to start day 1 is questionable. no doubt they could be coached up to eventually be our LT though.
    There should only be 3 Tackles taken in the 1st round. Fluker will be the 4th pick at the position and I think he is way overrated. Just because he has ape arms doesn't make him a great LT prospect. I'd be interested in the top half of the 2nd round but he has too many holes in my opinion to be taken in round 1. However I agree with you that some team will do it and it will be long before we draft.

Blog Entries

I'm seeing more and more value taking a T in the middle rounds. The Top 3 we won't sniff, and guys like Watson, Fluker, and Armstead have a good shot of being overvalued.

Faulk, Bahktari, Quessenberry, Aboushi, Marquardt...keep an eye on those names.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There should only be 3 Tackles taken in the 1st round. Fluker will be the 4th pick at the position and I think he is way overrated. Just because he has ape arms doesn't make him a great LT prospect. I'd be interested in the top half of the 2nd round but he has too many holes in my opinion to be taken in round 1. However I agree with you that some team will do it and it will be long before we draft.
    Id agree with Fluker. I dont see a LT.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Fluker isn't a LT, but if you move him to guard, I think he could be an all pro there, is he worth a first round pick then? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm seeing more and more value taking a T in the middle rounds. The Top 3 we won't sniff, and guys like Watson, Fluker, and Armstead have a good shot of being overvalued.

Faulk, Bahktari, Quessenberry, Aboushi, Marquardt...keep an eye on those names.
    I was thinking about the Ravens roster last night around 1:30 in the morning when I was in the shower (seems like the only time I can get uninterrupted thoughts during the day). We only really have six O-lineman on the roster now who have a chance on being on our opening day roster.

As a result, I think we actually might draft four O-linemen. Or perhaps we would draft three, and one of them would be a versatile all-over-the-place type guy like Quesenberry or Barrett Jones (3rd round). What if the other two were Faulk and Marquardt? I think we could get Faulk with a trade up in the 4th and Marquardt in the 5th. I think both guys have starting LT potential at the NFL level. Faulk was a starter at LT as a sophomore for LSU and played very well against a ton of good pass rushers in the SEC that year. Marquardt has insane physical gifts. If we draft both, the odds are that one will round into that long-term LT that we want. Perhaps both become our bookends. I'm surprised in a draft that has wayyyy too many RT types in it, that we are still seeing Faulk projected as a 4th rounder.

I don't think anybody is drafting Fluker with any intentions of him playing LT.

RT's have been drafted fairly high on a regular basis...not top 10, but around the middle of round one and back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Fluker isn't a LT, but if you move him to guard, I think he could be an all pro there, is he worth a first round pick then? Maybe.
    I have a tough time using All Pro as a forecast for any draft pick. How can anyone say that a guy will be one of the best 3 or 4 at his position in the entire league? If they knew that they'd be picking him in the top 10 if not the top 5. Probably 95% of the guys picked in this draft will never be All Pro. We all need to reign in our expectations for these players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I have a tough time using All Pro as a forecast for any draft pick. How can anyone say that a guy will be one of the best 3 or 4 at his position in the entire league? If they knew that they'd be picking him in the top 10 if not the top 5. Probably 95% of the guys picked in this draft will never be All Pro. We all need to reign in our expectations for these players.
    Teams draft players in the top 10 forecasting that all the time, otherwise they'd just trade back every year. Guard is position you never take in the top ten anyway, because a high % shows that late round draft picks have turned out to be all pros. Everyone is talking about how Chance Warmack is a "can't miss" prospect at guard, and I'd agree with that, but I doubt he goes in the top ten because of that position. DJ Fluker played at a high level at RT most of the time last year, he has freakishly long arms, and is probably the strongest player in this class, he literally throws 300 lbs monsters over like its nothing. I think there is a good chance he would be at least a good player at guard in the NFL, and most teams/scouts would probably agree with that.

Here is another argument towards the devaluation of certain positions, and where you pick players in the draft. Do the Cleveland Browns regret taking Trent Richardson where they did when they could have taken Ryan Tannehill, and used their other pick on Doug Martin later on in the first round, or even waited till the 3rd round to take Bernard Pierce? I sure as hell would be regretting that.

Even at the major positions like quarter back is an interesting debate. The Ravens traded back to get Joe Flacco instead of giving up a bunch just to move up a few palces to get Matt Ryan. The Ravens managed to get Ray Rice with that too. Flacco is the one who has ended up winning the SB MVP, while Ryan has one play off win to his name. I'm not saying Ryan or Richardson aren't good players, they are really good (still yet to be seen to some extent with T Rich but time will tell), but when you could have got a Ray Rice as well as a great QB like Flacco, it makes you re think your draft strategy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Teams draft players in the top 10 forecasting that all the time, otherwise they'd just trade back every year. Guard is position you never take in the top ten anyway, because a high % shows that late round draft picks have turned out to be all pros. Everyone is talking about how Chance Warmack is a "can't miss" prospect at guard, and I'd agree with that, but I doubt he goes in the top ten because of that position. DJ Fluker played at a high level at RT most of the time last year, he has freakishly long arms, and is probably the strongest player in this class, he literally throws 300 lbs monsters over like its nothing. I think there is a good chance he would be at least a good player at guard in the NFL, and most teams/scouts would probably agree with that.

Here is another argument towards the devaluation of certain positions, and where you pick players in the draft. Do the Cleveland Browns regret taking Trent Richardson where they did when they could have taken Ryan Tannehill, and used their other pick on Doug Martin later on in the first round, or even waited till the 3rd round to take Bernard Pierce? I sure as hell would be regretting that.

Even at the major positions like quarter back is an interesting debate. The Ravens traded back to get Joe Flacco instead of giving up a bunch just to move up a few palces to get Matt Ryan. The Ravens managed to get Ray Rice with that too. Flacco is the one who has ended up winning the SB MVP, while Ryan has one play off win to his name. I'm not saying Ryan or Richardson aren't good players, they are really good (still yet to be seen to some extent with T Rich but time will tell), but when you could have got a Ray Rice as well as a great QB like Flacco, it makes you re think your draft strategy.
    The media talks about can't miss prospects but I'm not so sure the teams buy into that, at least the good ones. Every 1st rounder will come in and start for 10 years and upgrade the position according to the draft gurus. History tells us that the draft is anything but a sure thing. I guess that's why the same crappy organizations seem to pick near the top every year