Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: Another 2011 Style Purge is Needed

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Thanks. And we all know...hindsight is always 20/20. I was just asking more about the inner workings of the contract itself. Sort of like what happened with the McGahee thing. In retrospect, IIRC, it was just set up in a way that seemed to work against the Ravens. And I was wondering if Ngata's contract was more Ngata-friendly than Ravens-friendly.

The McGahee deal, now that was definitely a horrible deal from the get-go.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    The McGahee deal, now that was definitely a horrible deal from the get-go.
    So hopefully they learned their lesson from that fiasco.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking that could be the case. And I agree completely on the McGahee trade. GOTA and I were two of the few back on the old sun boards who didn't like that trade from day 1.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    No thanks.

The kid is a great collegiate player, but he's 6' and barely 200lbs. You'd be hard pressed to find any teams willing to use a high 1st round pick on Manziel.
    If the 2012 draft were redone today, 5'11'', 205lb Russell Wilson goes #8 to Miami. If Manziel continues to develop his skills and continues to dominate over the next two/three years, I see no reason to think he won't be a top 15 pick. The idea that a QB has to be 6'5'' to be successful has gone out the window these days with guys like Wilson, Brees, Griffin, etc.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Thanks for the info, I was thinking that could be the case. And I agree completely on the McGahee trade. GOTA and I were two of the few back on the old sun boards who didn't like that trade from day 1.
    That trade drove me crazy. Giving up draft picks and a lot of money for anyone doesn't often seem to work out. You get whacked with draft picks early and then with the balloon year of the salary late. You better be 100% certain before you make that kind of move.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    If the 2012 draft were redone today, 5'11'', 205lb Russell Wilson goes #8 to Miami. If Manziel continues to develop his skills and continues to dominate over the next two/three years, I see no reason to think he won't be a top 15 pick. The idea that a QB has to be 6'5'' to be successful has gone out the window these days with guys like Wilson, Brees, Griffin, etc.
    Russell Wilson was, and is, a much more accomplished passer than Johnny Football.

I hear you, but it isn't like NFL scouts were not aware of what Russell Wilson was able to do. That still didn't stop teams from passing on him 3 times over.

And I can pretty much guarantee you that the Dolphins would STILL take Tannehill at #8. Not Wilson. The Dolphins hired Mike Sherman for a reason...they were targeting Tannehill (who played for Sherman at Texas A&M) all along.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    We almost had a deal worked out with Carolina
    hahaha...sabotaged by our own people!

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Everyone can just stop talking about trading or releasing Ngata.

From a Cap perspective, he's untradeable and unreleaseable.

He got a $25M signing bonus in 2011 (prorated over 5 years) and a $10M option bonus last March (prorated over 4 years).

Whether traded or released, the acceleration from those bonuses ($22.5M) would far outweigh what he'll count against the Cap in 2013 ($11.5M).
    Thanks for the calibration.
    I'm still gonna make the trade in Madden though!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I also stand by my ground that Flacco would be tagged and traded before Ngata is.

If the Ravens can get a 1st and 3rd for Flacco or 2 #1s from a desperate team I would send him packing and sign a stop gap vet.
    That would be a dream scenario. I just don't know if Flacco's going to be worth that if he's dealing with a QB market that includes Vick, Alex Smith, and Matt Flynn.

I think this "purge" has been in the making for a while. I think we will see a fundamental shift in the Ravens.

From a player perspective, key veterans on both sides - Birk and Boldin and Lewis and Reed - are most likely going to depart. That means new leadership will have to take over on the OL, the WR corps, the LB corps, and the secondary. This is going to go from being their team to being Ray Rice and Torrey Smith and Terrell Suggs and Lardarius Webb's team. That's a huge identity change.

Firing Cameron was the seal on the deal. That's going to lead to maybe a whole new offensive coaching staff.

I expect Ozzie to actually trade up in the draft and try and grab a new cornerstone piece to usher in the next chapter. I really could see him trying to grab someone like Matni Te'o or Star Lotuleilei.

Blog Entries

Ozzie gotta do something he may need to change his philosophy this draft from BPA to needs, the reason Ozzie did BPA for so long was because we had such good talent and good depth for many years so BPA was the method, the Ravens have had needs before drafts but Ozzie would do his thing then bring in a FA that has some gas left in the tank to fill that need because he had some money to work around. This offseason won't be the case we actually HAVE needs to be filled and not enough money to make FA deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Those guys are likely going to be salary cap casualties anyway, I wouldn't call it a purge. They have to tag Flacco or sign him to a fair deal. Leach, I think it depends on the new OC and their system.

I thought you meant a real purge - the priest, the waterboy, everyone ;)
    I think if Norv comes here next year, he will keep Leach. He's a modern day version of Lorenzo Neal.