Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Any possibility of drafting a QB?

Yea, I do absolutely...not a first rounder in our situation...def 2nd at the earliest!
    "IT'S NOT ATTITUDE, I'M JUST THAT GOOD!"

We did see what happened to Troy Smith when he faced a real team, right?

No way I take him before the fourth round.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    We did see what happened to Troy Smith when he faced a real team, right?

No way I take him before the fourth round.
    Exactly.

That Texas game doesn't look nearly as good considering they went and lost 2 more games. One being to Kansas State.

He looked absolutely horrendous vs. Florida and there's no doubt his draft stock dropped in a big way.

I don't think he's even on the Ravens radar.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    No qb this year, I don't think. That's one of the positions we're set at 1/2/3
    Really. Who's No. 3? Anyway, I think it's very likely they draft a QB, probably somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds, although I suppose Stanton in the second round is possible if he's still there. Assuming they get one or two comp picks at the end of the 4th round, that's my guess as to when they draft a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by HDDream View Post
    Really. Who's No. 3? Anyway, I think it's very likely they draft a QB, probably somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds, although I suppose Stanton in the second round is possible if he's still there. Assuming they get one or two comp picks at the end of the 4th round, that's my guess as to when they draft a QB.
    Drew Olson is #3. We sent him to Europe to get better, but he's under contract, as far as I know.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Drew Stanton is very intriguing to me. With a better senior season, Stanton would have been a first rounder. He's got blue-chip ability. He can just be inconsistent.

Another guy is Trent Edwards. He's got all the tools but, his surrounding cast sucked at Stanford.

I also think I would take Troy Smith no earlier than the end of the second, if it came to that.

I was, earlier in the off-season, for a first day QB, i have recently become against it. The way I see it, we just have too many holes to "waste" a pick on a position that we already have good depth. We have a potentially crippling OT situation, Need on the interior line, weak depth at LB and a big need at RB.

Ok, so JO stays and Pashos re-signs, yes then I think QB is in the right player-right price category. If Both are gone, we need some major help, and QB will get pushed back a year. Not necessarily a bath thing as next years class "should" be better.

I just want to see someone come in and learn under McNair for a year...
    "IT'S NOT ATTITUDE, I'M JUST THAT GOOD!"

I was a huge Boller backer when we drafted him. I still think he can become a reliable NFL starter. I just do not thinnk it will be here as he has caused to much tension in the locker room and too many fans 'hate' him.

That being said, I think and HOPE the team has leaned its lesson on drafting a QB in the early rounds.

Hell lts compare the savior of New York Mr Pedigree Eli Manning to Boller:

Manning
    Year G GS Att Comp Pct Yds YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
    2004 9 7 197 95 48.2 1043 5.29 52 6 9 13/83 11 4 55.4
    2005 16 16 557 294 52.8 3762 6.75 78 24 17 28/184 49 8 75.9
    2006 16 16 522 301 57.7 3244 6.21 55 24 18 25/186 33 8 77.0

Wow a completion perventage in the 50s and a QB rating in the 70s for the next coming of Christ. :grbac:

If he was a can't miss QB on draft day why the hell would you want to waste a first round pick on QB. I hope the team takes the Tom Brady/Tony Romo approach. There is no reason with the talent evaluators that we supposedly have that we can't find the next good QB in rounds 4 through 6.

Just say no to QB on DAY 1!
    Section 106 from start to finish!

You could say since Boller, that is what they have been attempting. Pick Harris, nah he's no good, let him go, pick DA, let him go, Olsen.... Maybe we will find one good enoug to keep and develop.

Quote Originally Posted by hurting View Post
    Just say no to QB on DAY 1!
    I disagree. Tom Brady is an absolute freak and an exception. While it's true there are many first round busts at qb, of the successful young qb's around the league, they are virtually all round one & two guys. Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Drew Brees. While round 1 may not be a 1:1 indicator of success, it does give *much* higher probability then round 4.

Plus as Jonboy points out, it's not like we don't draft qb's in the later rounds. We do, as I think virtually all teams do. It's just, Tom Brady was there only once.

:2c:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I was a huge Boller backer when we drafted him. I still think he can become a reliable NFL starter. I just do not thinnk it will be here as he has caused to much tension in the locker room and too many fans 'hate' him.
    That's something I've noticed between Haters and "Huggers". I'm not saying you're one or the other, just that your quote brings up the point.

I'm pretty sure I was one of the first to bring up Bollers name over on YBR, but it was as a second round pick. When we drafted him, most of the "Huggers" admitted that it would take some time for him to reach his potential. The scouting reports backed up that observation.
    Most of the Haters felt that he would come in and we would be instantly a lot more productive in the passing game. We obviously didn't.

Scape goating is human nature and Boller makes a great one. First round pretty boy from the West Coast with the rocket arm? The one who was supposed to bring balance to the force... I mean offense? He didn't/hasn't deliver(ed) and it's understandable that people who thought of him that way are miffed about it.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock