Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Ravens hire Steve Spagnuolo

Very good hire.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    It makes me wonder if this is some harbinger for how our future front seven is lined up. His defensive schemes are 4-3 with lots of DE blitzing.
    DE "blitzing" in a 4-3?

Anyway, I'm kind of indifferent to this hire, he is very good if you have a terrific pass rushing front 4....when he doesn't...not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Well there was also the Jim Caldwell hire. Bottom line this is the 3rd former HC Harbaugh has hired, so no offense, but I think your point doesn't hold water.
    4th- he had Al Saunders on the staff as well for a year (or was it two) as the offense consultant.

IMHO, adding Spags is all good.

No offense meant to Harbs, but I think he (Harbs) is more a "manager" in the business sense: communicate, motivate, delegate, etc, than in the sports sense: coach up, set game plans, etc.

As to 4-3 or 3-4, looks like we could have so many horses that we could go either way -- or both in the same game, to really drive the opposing OC nuts.

I think I've learned that these coaches may be associated with certain schemes but are able to adapt to what the Ravens do. Zorn is a West Coast Offense guy and he still worked in Cam's Air Coryell scheme. Gregg Mattison is a dyed in the wool 4-3 guy but even as defensive coordinator he adapted to the Ravens personnel and knew better than messing with a good thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    As to 4-3 or 3-4, looks like we could have so many horses that we could go either way -- or both in the same game, to really drive the opposing OC nuts.
    Deception is at least half the game on both sides of the ball--if you know what your opponents are about to do & they don't know what you're about to do, you have a huuuuuge advantage. Which is why there was such a big to-do over Spygate.

Eh as an assistant and extra eyes, I'm for it, but I don't like the feeling of an heir apparent. He made his name from the Giants ultra talented D-line and then failed in STL (not hard to do though) as well as running the Saints defense. I believe the Saints defense was the worse ever in yards allowed.

Any one know if the rumors of his control issues are true? Knowing that won't happen here, but I don't want any bad mojo to rub off on this team. LOL I'm just being paranoid.

I'm indifferent about this hire and kind of surprised at some of the excitement.

He had one good year. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    If you mean like a 1-15 former HC who no one in the league will ever let within half a mile of a head coach opening again, yeah.
    Everyone forgets his time with the Chargers as OC from 2002-2006 (8-8, 4-12, 12-4, 9-7, 14-2) that gave him the shot at the 2007 Dolphins HC job (1-15) and ultimately the Ravens OC job from 2008-2012 (11-5, 9-7, 12-4, 12-4, 10-6). Those kinds of W-L records will allow a guy to get another shot. We all may have thought that Cam was too conservative with his play calling, but he did a great job (sans 2007) coaching at the NFL level. His first four years as the Ravens OC brought the Ravens to 4 consecutive playoffs, two of those runs took the team to the AFC Championship game, and even though most want to give all of the credit for this years Super Bowl Championship to Jim Caldwell as the OC. The Ravens lost two of the 3 regular season games Caldwell was the OC for. In other words, Jim Caldwell has only won .333 of his regular season games as the Ravens OC, when Cam Cameron won .429 of his regular season games as the Ravens OC.

Cam Cameron is not as bad as we all like to think, much like Shanahan won so much early on that people are willing to give him a pass on his recent years of sucking as a HC.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

The Saints were an absolute wreck last year; unprecedented chaos. I throw that out the window.

If he can add some valuable input, so be it. I don't read a lot into it except the Ravens trying to get better however they can
    Last edited by Ravenswintitle; 05-04-2013 at 01:55 PM.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Harbaugh knows him and is constantly trying to get better coaches. Cutting Cam took balls from the Ravens organization and it yielded positive results. Opposing teams this year will see a Ravens team being coached by Pees, Caldwell, and others that will fine tune the team and give opposing teams a different look that they have been seeing over the past years. If the Ravens make postseason this year, Ozzie and others will become highly sought after. And I think they do make post season.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    As long as there's not too many cooks.
    Yea this is my concern too. But in Harb I trust. I remember when he was THE hot commodity after that SB when they beat the Pats. Redskins were trying like mad to get him. The luster has obviously worn off a little since then but got to think the man still knows the game. And with the personel we have in place he could have some real impact here. I'm onboard with this move.