Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tomlin sending Steelers the wrong message

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ay-of-minicamp

This made me smile. I understand what Tomlin is saying by not being able to evaluate without pads on. But, to cancel a mandatory camp practice for that reason is sending them the wrong message. They should be working everyday they can. I personally love it because I hope the Steelers suck, as per usual. Just thought it was an odd move by Tomlin who I believe is a good coach
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Re: Tomlin sending Steelers the wrong message

I don't think they are going to lose any games because of this but they won't win any either.

Just like Hensley said;

You can certainly make the case that the Steelers should be the ones working and the Ravens should be rewarded. Pittsburgh finished a disappointing 8-8 last season and failed to make the playoffs for the second time in four years. And this doesn't really fall in line with the team's theme of "less talk, more work."
    I really think that Tomlin is on the hot seat this year. This is the first time since he has been the HC in Pittsburgh that you can say this is finally his team. There hasn't been much change from year to year as players and coaches go, but between last year and this year there really are no more hangers on from the Cowher era. If his team doesn't perform this year we may see another HC in Pitt.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

I was watching NFL Network (Total Access) and Heath Evans said that the Steelers are the best team in the AFC North and he likes them to win. He said that the Steelers are a "known commodity". The host says "well the Ravens are a known commodity". Heath Evans replies with a "IDK *bullsh!t* *bullsh!t*" and just completely discredited our success. For those of you who watch Game of Thrones....I wish I had Heath Evans' head on a spike. Fuckin hate that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    Just like Hensley said;

I really think that Tomlin is on the hot seat this year. This is the first time since he has been the HC in Pittsburgh that you can say this is finally his team. There hasn't been much change from year to year as players and coaches go, but between last year and this year there really are no more hangers on from the Cowher era. If his team doesn't perform this year we may see another HC in Pitt.
    Are you kidding? Tomlin has been there 6 years and had 2 Super Bowl appearances in that time, winning one. The Rooneys run one of the most stable ships in the NFL. They have had 3 coaches in what, 40 years? Have they even fired a coach since Chuck Noll's predecessor?

Hate them all you want, but the Rooneys don't seem like the reactionary types and it will take more than just one or two 8-8 seasons to get Tomlin on the hot seat.

Blog Entries

I don't read much into it. Harbaugh has cancelled practices before because he felt the team got enough work in. I don't think the Steelers are suddenly going to get fat and sloppy, but if they do, I'm betting Tomlin will start getting some questions about why he cut his OTAs short.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

He clearly doesn't like the new rules.

I don't think he is on the hot seat at all, even if they go 8-8 again, that's just not the Rooney way. Hope they keep him around forever and they remain mediocre, which they have been since he was no longer coaching Cowher's team

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Are you kidding? Tomlin has been there 6 years and had 2 Super Bowl appearances in that time, winning one. The Rooneys run one of the most stable ships in the NFL. They have had 3 coaches in what, 40 years? Have they even fired a coach since Chuck Noll's predecessor?

Hate them all you want, but the Rooneys don't seem like the reactionary types and it will take more than just one or two 8-8 seasons to get Tomlin on the hot seat.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    I was watching NFL Network (Total Access) and Heath Evans said that the Steelers are the best team in the AFC North and he likes them to win. He said that the Steelers are a "known commodity". The host says "well the Ravens are a known commodity". Heath Evans replies with a "IDK *bullsh!t* *bullsh!t*" and just completely discredited our success. For those of you who watch Game of Thrones....I wish I had Heath Evans' head on a spike. Fuckin hate that guy.
    I usually ignore analysts because I feel as though most are overpaid casual fans, but Heath Evans makes my BOIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post

Yes, but the Super Bowl successes came from the coaches and players acquired during Cowher's tenure. If they want to keep him around, I am all for it. Because as a HC Tomlin has done nothing. All of the aging players that are on that team are from Cowher's time in Pitt.

http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches.html

Coaching staff:
    Mike Tomlin - HC - 5 years (according to the Steelers official site)
    John Mittchell - AHC/Defensive Line - 18 years
    Todd Haley - OC - 1 year
    Dick LeBeau - DC - 8 years (2nd time around from stint in the mid 1990's)
    Danny Smith - STC - His info didn't come up (IT glitch)
    Keith Butler - LB coach - 9 years
    James Daniel - TE coach - 8 years
    Randy Fichtner - WR coach - 5 years
    Carnell Lake - DB coach - 1 year
    Jack Bicknell Jr - OL coach - His info didn't come up (IT glitch)

It starts getting spotty for info at this point, but most of the coaches that the Steelers have were hired by someone else.

Players (starters) from Cowher's time in Pitt.:
    Ben Roethlisberger - 10 years
    Heath Miller - 8 years
    Brett Keisel - 12 years
    LaMarr Woodley - 7 years
    Larry Foote - 12 years
    Lawrence Timmons - 7 years
    Ryan Clark - 12 years
    Troy Polamalu - 11 years
    Ike Taylor - 11 years

That is all of their stars, they even have resigned Plexico Burress for back up. The Steelers may have 3-4 guys that were drafted during Tomlins time as HC that would be considered good, but what has he done in the past 5 years?

The Ravens have been to the AFC Championship game 3 times in 5 years won one SB and should have been to the SB last year if not for a dropped pass/missed FG.

I think that we found out last year when Chuck Pagano went out as the HC for the Indy Colts, and the OC stepped in as the interim HC, that it was Bruce Arians was the real brains of the Steelers coaching staff in the past. Arians led the Colts to a 9-3 record while Pagano was out, he basically won one more game as the interim HC of the Colts, with a rookie QB, than Mike Tomlin did as the Steelers HC, with a veteran QB.

You can think I am a hater all you want, but I am looking at the facts.

There were only 6 players on the Ravens 2012 SB winning team that were a bridge from the Brian Billick era (2 have retired and Ed Reed is now with the Texans), there are at least 9 players on the Steelers roster from when Bill Cowher was the HC (and they will all be on this up coming seasons depth chart).

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Fraud-lin...

The Steelers are a very well run organization. I'm sure this decision was discussed and a consensus was reached amongst the coaching staff. I hate them as much as anyone, but I respect their legacy of success too much to doubt that they know what's best for their team.

New England canceled a day early too. Big deal.