Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Boldin is Still Counting Against the Ravens Cap for $7.5 Million

Agree with most of what some have said. The ravens typically keep a low profile during the early days of free agency. I don't think the 7.5M cap space still being tied to Boldin put any other plans on hold. I'm pretty sure the Ravens had already prepared for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    disagree. It happens all the time. its not like were in such bad shape that theres not still room. arent we around 10m under even counting the full 7.5?
    Last number I heard was $13 counting the $6 million for Boldin. That leaves $7 before Canty and the other guys they re-signed yesterday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the FO knew Boldin was out of the country, and that they wouldn't be able to complete the trade until his finished his trip, and weren't counting on that money being there straight away... or they would have just cut him.

I don't know why, I just have this idea that the team would likely know when one of their better players is out in Senegal doing work with Oxfam.
    Of course they knew. That's not the issue. They got greedy. They liked the idea of getting a 6th round pick for a guy they were going to cut. As long as it didn't screw up any potential signings yesterday it's not a big deal. No way to know though if it did.

It's like last year when they were stuck on the opening day of free agency because of Rice's franchise tag. Eventually they got their cap space but it limited what they could do when the market was full of free agents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Of course they knew. That's not the issue. They got greedy. They liked the idea of getting a 6th round pick for a guy they were going to cut. As long as it didn't screw up any potential signings yesterday it's not a big deal. No way to know though if it did.

It's like last year when they were stuck on the opening day of free agency because of Rice's franchise tag. Eventually they got their cap space but it limited what they could do when the market was full of free agents.
    Who should they have signed yesterday that they didn't?

As I said, if they thought that having that money immediately was more important they would have cut him instead of traded him. Looking at the transactions yesterday I can't see anyone whom I think they would have signed at the price they eventually went for.

Ehhh...I don't know...I think getting him out of the AFC was almost worth as much as getting the 6th round pick. And another angle that I don't think was reported at all: The Ravens actually did right by Boldin in that they guaranteed his salary of $6M. Had he been cut, I don't think he would have made nearly that much with his new deal. And if they went to his agent beforehand and let them sign-off on the trade, even better in terms of doing right by the player.

Blog Entries

We are well enough under the cap even with Boldin's lingering $. I doubt it made any difference in our activity. We hardly ever make big splashes on day 1.

In fact we made a totally typical move of signing a quality veteran at value dollars.
    Last edited by bt12483; 03-13-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Who should they have signed yesterday that they didn't?

As I said, if they thought that having that money immediately was more important they would have cut him instead of traded him. Looking at the transactions yesterday I can't see anyone whom I think they would have signed at the price they eventually went for.
    There is no way to know. It's just yesterday. It's today and every other day until Boldin takes that physical and gets off our books.

No need to rush, there are still players out there that have yet to be released.

Blog Entries

There is no way to know. It's just yesterday. It's today and every other day until Boldin takes that physical and gets off our books.
    I'd imagine if there was someone out there they really wanted to sign they'd just cut him in order to make that move.

But knowing the Ravens FA history... I would expect them to use 10 million on one guy.

Blog Entries

Yesterday was only the START of free agency. There is no FA on earth who's going to say "Well Ravens, you weren't ready to sign me on day one, so I'm not going to wait around 2 more days to see if I can generate a bidding war, so I'm just going to take the first thing that walked through the door."

The Day One deals are the ones where the FA's have spent the past two months already surveying the field and figuring out where the most money / best offers were going to come from. Boldin has always been on the "likely cap casualty list" so it's not a big surprise that his cap number is being moved off the books. FA's have been talking to the Ravens with that in mind. The only thing this would affect is the date the ink dries on the paper, not the opportunity cost of some jittery free agent who was totally going to sign with the Ravens, but couldn't hold his water when he heard Boldin's cap # hadn't cleared and got afraid that no one would sign him if he didn't take some other team's day one offer.

What player is going to take himself off the market based on the results of Boldin's physical? If Boldin doesn't pass it then the deal in principal is off and that guy might have cost himself money from another team. No one would agree to that.
    If Boldin fails the physical I'm sure he will be cut.

There is no way at this point that Boldin will be forced to stay on the roster.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Generally day one signings are the highest offers. Unsigned veterans who remain free agents for a while are happy to accept less the longer they sit out there.