Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

What should Flacco's target for "elitism" be?

There are a lot of conversations about who's the "best" QB in the league, who's "better" than this one or that, who are the "top 3/5/7/10/etc.", and so on, and so on, and....

I'm not in the camp that believes that Flacco is #1, or elite, or many of the other plaudits I see bestowed on this QB or that. What impresses me is that Flacco has been as "successful" as he has, as a rookie and ongoing during his career. And I'll say this -- give me Trent Dilfer at QB and a Super Bowl victory, versus Brady/Manning(s)/RGIII/Newton/Wilson/Ryan/Rodgers/etc. leading the offense and sucking hind tit.

But all that as a lead-in, my question to all is, What do you deem as the gold standard for Flacco to be unreservedly considered as a true "best" QB? Or, what does Flacco need to do (stats, or games won, or playoffs/SB appearances, more seasons of winning, whatever) to be mentioned without a lot of friction in the same breath as the Bradys/Manning(s)/RGIIIs/Newtons/Wilsons/Ryans/Rodgers/Randolph Scott/etc.?

Qunatify what Flacco must deliver.

Re: What should Flacco's target for "elitism" be?

Joe won't be considered "elite" until the refs throw the flag when he gets hit out of bounds, or whacked on the helmet, the way they do for Brady/Manning.

As far as wins, playoff appearances, Super Bowls ... those are the harder things to achieve because it relies on so many other factors, like a good team around you, getting hot, and even a little luck. The fact Joe has done THESE already is amazing.

What people want to see is the gaudy regular season stats. Or if not gaudy, at least consistently "good." They want to see Joe with between 25 and 30 TDs to fewer than 10 INTs, probably around 4500 yards. Just about every season, like Brees, Manning, etc.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    As far as wins, playoff appearances, Super Bowls ... those are the harder things to achieve because it relies on so many other factors, like a good team around you, getting hot, and even a little luck. The fact Joe has done THESE already is amazing.

What people want to see is the gaudy regular season stats. Or if not gaudy, at least consistently "good." They want to see Joe with between 25 and 30 TDs to fewer than 10 INTs, probably around 4500 yards. Just about every season, like Brees, Manning, etc.
    Mark my words: Flacco will throw for 4500+ and 30+ td's next season.

I just want long term consistency.

He showed a LOT of it this postseason...he obviously won't play at that level for a full season, but if he can get rid of the really bad stinkers he has a couple times a year, watchout.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The whole elite argument gets complicated.

Can anyone argue that Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback of his era despite never having gotten a ring? Wasn't John Elway considered elite long before those Super Bowl victories at the tail end of his career? Didn't a lot of people say that Jim Kelly was elite?

And then as current players go, you have the question as to how long the elite label lasts. I think--and this playoff season backs me up on this--that both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are on the decline. Yet almost everyone has them in the Top 5 due to their past success. But right now I think Joe Flacco now clearly is a better quarterback than Tom Brady now. And he's outplayed Brady in all three playoff games where he's faced him.

7. Re: What should Flacco's target for "elitism" be?

He is elite to me. As for the national media, I think he will solidify his "eliteness" when he earns his first pro-bowl and maybe another one or two after that. The pro-bowl serves as a sign of recognition from fellow players, coaches, and fans.

Blog Entries

It's about getting paid. The only reason this came up was because Flacco was nearing free agency. Once he's signed I doubt he'll care what labels anyone uses for him.

I think the whole "elite" crap is judged more on personality then stats. Sure, you gotta be decent, but if you're not on the lips of every talking head, you're not getting in the "elite" conversation. Which is why Eli has such a hard time getting accepted to the "Elite Club".

On another note, yesterday at the fextivities, Stevie B talked about Baltimore not "losing the chip on it's shoulder". Do we really want to be called "elite"? I think that's what he meant. Let's keep being the winning underdog and let the Patsies be the league's darling (although i think that ship has sailed too).

If Flacco continues to perform as he has over his past five games(and that's a pretty decent sample size, honestly), the descriptions, stats, "eliteness", whatever, will take care of itself.

The Flacco we've seen over his past five games is the best QB in the NFL, IMO.

Perhaps the best measure of eliteism is how likely a player is to guest star as himself on some moderately to well-watched television show and/ or Farelly Brother comedy so he can awkwardly read his lines off of cue cards.

Once that happens, you have truly become elite.

Blog Entries

The Flacco in the post season is the best QB in the NFL, I think people are underestimating just how great he looked in the play offs this year. With that said, its a case on whether or not he will play this well, or at least close to it consistently, none of us know that he will. Eli Manning is a great example of a QB who plays lights out in the play offs, but then plays just to a good level in the regular season, that is someone I'd certainly want to give 16 + million to a year, but 20+ like what Flacco is asking for? Probably not. If Flacco can back that play up every season, I'd pay him more than 20 mill a year, he was that good, but we have to think realistically about this. Its a body of work.