Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast

Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

Discuss

Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

I met Peter Boulware in passing after his rookie year in '97, got to shake his hand and congratulate him on a fine rookie season. He was at an event at 1st Mariner Arena (wrestling, I think?) and was greeting fans. He was very nice and greeted everyone that approached him from what I saw. I met McCrary and Ogden at the car dealership where I used to sell cars, both were very personable. Poor McCrary has a hard time with his knees and walks with a noticeable limp, or at least he was that day. I really hope he can get them straightened out once he is old enough to get knee replacement surgery. Finally, I got to have lunch with Bart Scott prior to the '07 season. He was great, very personable and funny, definitely a good experience. That's all I got.
    Last edited by esmd; 05-16-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: really unfortunate grammatical error, lol
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I met Peter Boulware in passing after his rookie year in '97, got to shake his hand and congratulate him on a fine rookie season. He was at an event at 1st Mariner Arena (wrestling, I think?) and was greeting fans. He was very nice and greeted everyone that approached him from what I saw. I met McCrary and Ogden at the car dealership where I used to sell cars, both were very personable. Poor McCrary has a hard time on his knees and walks with a noticeable limp, or at least he was that day. I really hope he can get them straightened out once he is old enough to get knee replacement surgery. Finally, I got to have lunch with Bart Scott prior to the '07 season. He was great, very personable and funny, definitely a good experience. That's all I got.
    Good to hear that you did not have any bad interactions with players. Having met Bart Scott, I agree that he is very engaging and friendly.

A friend and I were fortunate to travel to New Orleans for the Ravens game in 07 or 08 (cannot remember the year). We also scored a sideline pass for the warmup period. We didn't want to bother anyone, but Matt Stover came over when he saw us and chatted for a few minutes before he completed his pre-game. What a nice fellow!

My Dad, who is as short as I, and has never had any interest in football, somehow befriended Bubba Smith. Smith was a good foot taller than my dad is, maybe more. Anyway, they used to grab lunch now and then. Smith would also call and chat with my Dad, the only person my father would ever talk to on the phone. Not sure what they talked about, and until this day, my Dad has no idea that Smith was a NFL player or actor. Just one of those odd things in life.

Dunk

Actually have met a great deal of Ravens growing up in Owings Mills. Met Billick in a liquor store and he had a hand cart full of beer cases. Ray Lewis was at my prom as his younger sister went to my school. He was in a dance contest with us and I will never forget that. I got Dion Sander's autograph at the barbershop as he was there with Corey Fuller and Kordell Stewart (all nice engaging fellows). Met Mark Clayton in line at Subway and chatted football for 10 mins.

Met Flacco at a pizzeria in his 2nd yr and he ate lunch with me and my work buddies since he was alone (we had to ask him LOL). He was asking about where he could get a nice bike in the area and we chatted about NFL life and where we worked in the area. Sadly we had to run back to work so that shortened our time with him (amazing though). Met Marvin Lewis at an EB games (back in the day) while he was there with his young son. I met Ozzie as a lot boy working for Lexus while I was college (gave me a $20 tip for bringing his car around) and I met Chris McAlister while I worked at a Footlocker in college and he gave me a nice tip on the side :)

Oh and the non Raven I met in town was Antonio Freeman who also ironically, was in the same gaming store as Marvin on a different day and he bought an old Madden from me because it had him in the game (as a Packer). I was about the trade it in and he gave me $30 when the game store would have given me only $10. They didn't have a copy of that year in the store, so I made out.

Sorry, I don't have any bad experiences though, but have benefited financially from a couple Ravens apparently LOL. This is the first time I really thought about it too. I love our team.

Blog Entries

I went to college where the Redskins used to come and practice during training camp. Playing football there we were all there during the same time, so I got to interact with a lot of them. Darrell Green was super cool and laid back. He is one of my favorite non-Ravens of all time. Really nice guy. LaVarr Arrington was pretty cool too. He was ridiculously cocky (surprise surprise), but he was really into joking around and just having a good time.

My best friend was photographing a big Nike event in New York City a few weeks ago and met Calvin Johnson. He said he was really nice and personable.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I have been working at a Baskin Robbins in Owings Mills during my college and law school years, so I've seen a fair number of Ravens, and one of our regular costumers the past couple of years was Bernard Pollard. The first time I saw him there, he was in line behind a lady and her small child. The boy dropped ice cream on the floor without my seeing it, and Pollard said, "Hey, we're gonna need a mop over here." I went in the backroom to fetch the mop, and when I came back, he had already cleaned up the mess with a bunch of napkins. It was a very nice gesture, and something he didn't have to do. We had a couple nice chats when he was there, and he always tipped generously, which was especially appreciated (particularly because it's not exactly customary to tip the workers at a place like that). It was kind of a personal blow when he was released.

My mother was in an Owings Mills store that sells Ravens and Orioles gear, and she saw Haloti in there once, which was a thrill for her, as he's been her favorite player almost from the time he was a rookie. She had met him once in TC several years before, and when she saw him in the store, she jokingly said, "I can't believe you don't remember me." He smiled and said "Of course I remember you," and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. A boldfaced lie, of course, but a nice one. One of the many reasons why I love this team.
    "Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try and win."--Atticus Finch

"Let's score some more points, guys!"--Joe Flacco

Blog Entries
    Maybe he did remember her?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Two weeks ago in the BWI "B" Southwest terminal waiting on an early flight. Franco Harris walking by and stops to talk to a Southwest agent. My boss is big Steeler fan and immediately gets excited and goes over hoping for a quick photo op. Instead Franco gets this disgusted look on his face and waves off my boss.

Then Franco proceeded over to Annie Anne's and threw down some pretzel nuggets, all the while waving people off who recognized him.

Total D-bag.

Best interaction was running into Jon Ogden at the grocery store in Owings Mills around 2003 or so. Couldn't believe how huge that guy was in real life. He was super nice though. Goes to get a loaf of bread or whatever and then spends and hour in the store chatting it up with fans and signing autographs. I loved that guy. Already got my ticket to Canton too. Looking forward to his induction.

Worked the Training Camp one year (as a National Guard recruiter) and while filling up my car at a gas station in Westminster met T Suggs. He couldn't have been nicer or more friendly, even after a full day in the heat of TC.
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee

I worked at the captain harveys in dundalk throughout high school when it was still worth going to. Edwin mulitalo came in one night with a friend of his I suppose. As a high school kid I was obviously star struck and stuttered a little while taking his order. He smiled at me and dropped a $10 in the tip box. Seemed like a really good guy